Options

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III good enough?

Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
edited January 20, 2009 in Cameras
I am just starting to add to my lense collection and while looking at the 75-300 f/4-5.6 III in a store, a guy walks up and says not to waste my money, the lense is junk. When I asked what makes him think that way, he could only say it takes crappy photos and is not worth the money. I do not shoot for $ (yet) and all my pics are currently for myself and family. I am starting to shoot my daughters cheerleading and gymnastic events and if I get some shots worthy, I will put together a disc for the other parents (free right now since I am just learning.) As a beginner, would I notice any small flaws or "bad reasons" to stay away from this lense? I was looking at the NON IS, NON USM version, price was listed at $219 but was going to bargain with them if possible.. I looked thru this forum and didn't see much about this lense so sorry for the long rant.. in addition, I do have PS CS4 and shoot in Raw with a Xsi...if that matters.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited January 19, 2009
    Unfortunately the Canon EF 75-300mm, f4-f5.6 III is not known for sharpness wide open, sharpness at 300mm at any aperture, and would not be suitable for indoor sports because of slow focus and slow aperture.

If it's used outdoors in good light and if you think of it as a 70-200mm, f5.6-f8 then it can function fairly nicely.

For cheerleading and gymnastic events the EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM, with or without IS, would be a much better choice. Yes, it is a lot more money but for a very good reason, it's a great lens.

Other good choices would be the EF 85mm, f1.8 USM, EF 100mm, f2 USM and EF 135mm, f2L USM (a wonderful sports lens.)

Some folks also like the Sigma 70-200mm, f2.8 EX APO HSM DG Macro.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    as always, thanks for the input. Until I can afford it or convince my wife that i REALLY REALLY need it, I will rent one of the 70-200 f/2.8 lenses. I personally think I can justify it... I will also check on the other lenses listed as my collection grow.
  • Options
    The_MaverickThe_Maverick Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 20, 2009
    I do have experience with that lens and it works fairly well for its price anyhow. But if you have the money, you can go for the Canon 70-200mm f4L USM or the heavier one which is the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS. I guess, it will always boils down to how much you want to spend.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2009
    Thanks for the input guys, I knew this "hobby" would not be a cheap one so I would rather wait a few months and spend a few extra dollars to get something I will be happier with down the road. Until then, I will more than likely just rent when I have an event to attend. Thanks.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Thanks for the input guys, I knew this "hobby" would not be a cheap one so I would rather wait a few months and spend a few extra dollars to get something I will be happier with down the road. Until then, I will more than likely just rent when I have an event to attend. Thanks.

Very smart decision on both counts. This way you're not wasting money on glass that won't make you happy and you'll have the lens you need the important times you need it. clap.gif