Snow Flakes Macro

CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
edited January 24, 2009 in Holy Macro
Took my first ever photos of snow flakes and oh my... I think I could become addicted to this.

456291796_sLqj3-L-2.jpg

456338821_39e2N-Th.jpg456290588_5eZAs-Th-1.jpg456291805_GYrhU-Th-1.jpg

Gallery of 7 at: http://www.inspiringdesigns.net/gallery/7115795_geeW4/1/456290140_VTbzQ

Set-up: I used a cake pan and put a black t-shirt in it for the background. On top of that I had a clear glass pie dish to collect the snow flakes in as the fell into it (had to keep wiping them out every so often). Outside was about 8 degree (I was freezing after an hour and had to quit but it has to be really cold so they don't melt). I left everything outside for about 30 minutes to get good and cold before I started. All shot with my Nikon 105 VR Macro on a tripod with natural light. I pointed the macro lens mounted on the tripod straight down over the collection pie dish when one landed I wanted to capture. Natural light only. I used auto focus initially only to help find the flake and then manually adjusted the focus till it was what I wanted. I then opened the images in Nikon Capture and cropped to enlarge 200%. I was afraid to go any higher than that (gotta get me some of them tubes or something someday - what do you'll recommend :) Then opened in PS to clean up the background some, slight levels adjustment if needed, S curve and USM to sharpen.
I'd like to try lighting these from the underside next time and I read somewhere that multi-colored gels over the light that are darker in the center create great reflections. I think the light would have to be bounced in from the underside somehow in order to keep a fairly solid dark background... lots of experimenting to do if we get more snow... if we don't I won't complain - lol!

Critiques and suggestions on how to improve and/or what to add to get closer macros greatly appreciated.
Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited January 19, 2009
    Very nice Cindy.clap.gif

look better bigger on your web page, you should post alot bigger for everyone to see details.
    go for the Kenko auto extension tube set to get x2 magnification.

phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Beautiful! I would become addicted to that as well...
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Thanks Phil and Rustic. I'll check into the tubes you recommended. I thought large was the biggest that were sapposed to post...? I'm off to work now but will try a bigger one later tonight. Again, thank you!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
  • timbo13timbo13 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    these are great, Cindy! I like how you placed them in the frame and I
    enjoyed seeing your whole gallery.

I enjoyed reading about your set-up as I have been doing some
    snowflake macros myself, I will post them up when I get a chance.
    Tim

Pentax K100D super, some old and new lenses
    more of my photos
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Cindy wrote:
    Took my first ever photos of snow flakes and oh my... I think I could become addicted to this.

Gallery of 7 at: http://www.inspiringdesigns.net/gallery/7115795_geeW4/1/456290140_VTbzQ

Set-up: I used a cake pan and put a black t-shirt in it for the background. On top of that I had a clear glass pie dish to collect the snow flakes in as the fell into it (had to keep wiping them out every so often). Outside was about 8 degree (I was freezing after an hour and had to quit but it has to be really cold so they don't melt). I left everything outside for about 30 minutes to get good and cold before I started. All shot with my Nikon 105 VR Macro on a tripod with natural light. I pointed the macro lens mounted on the tripod straight down over the collection pie dish when one landed I wanted to capture. Natural light only. I used auto focus initially only to help find the flake and then manually adjusted the focus till it was what I wanted. I then opened the images in Nikon Capture and cropped to enlarge 200%. I was afraid to go any higher than that (gotta get me some of them tubes or something someday - what do you'll recommend :) Then opened in PS to clean up the background some, slight levels adjustment if needed, S curve and USM to sharpen.
    I'd like to try lighting these from the underside next time and I read somewhere that multi-colored gels over the light that are darker in the center create great reflections. I think the light would have to be bounced in from the underside somehow in order to keep a fairly solid dark background... lots of experimenting to do if we get more snow... if we don't I won't complain - lol!

Critiques and suggestions on how to improve and/or what to add to get closer macros greatly appreciated.

Cindy these are just beautiful, I love them clap.gif
    I tell you I am truly in awe of Snow and Ice and anything inbetween rolleyes1.gif
    .... I wish it would snow here... aint gonna happen.

Nicely done Cindy thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited January 23, 2009
    Thanks Brian, Tim & Skippy. Tim I'm looking forward to seeing yours.

If we get more snow I'm ready to try again. I'm looking everywhere for various transparent plastics (bread bags, etc) to use for filters to try and bounce in some color highlights. We'll see how it goes :D
    Any suggestions on how to bounce in the colors to just the snowflakes and maintain a solid background?
    edited January 23, 2009
    How will the kenkos differ from a teleconverter?
    I was checking out the Kenko tubes and then discovered I could use my Nikon-TC-20E II Teleconverter with my 105 Macro (I had forgotten they would work together and for some reason had it stuck in my head they couldn't so I didn't even try).
    Question is: How will the Kenko tubes differ from the Teleconverter? Will they provide more magnification? Clearer, sharper, etc???

Thanks for any & all advice in advance!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    Cindy wrote:
    I was checking out the Kenko tubes and then discovered I could use my Nikon-TC-20E II Teleconverter with my 105 Macro (I had forgotten they would work together and for some reason had it stuck in my head they couldn't so I didn't even try).
    Question is: How will the Kenko tubes differ from the Teleconverter? Will they provide more magnification? Clearer, sharper, etc???

Thanks for any & all advice in advance!

Both the Kenko tubes and the TC will give you 2:1 max magnification.
    The TC will lose some image quality but preserve working distance.
    The extension tubes will lose very little image quality but will give you closer focus distances.

Brian V.
    edited January 24, 2009
    Both the Kenko tubes and the TC will give you 2:1 max magnification.
    The TC will lose some image quality but preserve working distance.
    The extension tubes will lose very little image quality but will give you closer focus distances.

Brian V.

Thank you, thank you Brian! Eventually I do want the kenko tubes (when $ allows) but so glad the TC will do for now. :ivar
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009

Brian V.

I didn't think extension tubes had any loss of IQ since there are no optics in them?