Moving on Up

koushkoush Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited January 22, 2009 in Cameras
hi grinners,

I have only recently begun taking a more enthusiastic approach to photography. Realizing the learning curve was very steep, I reckoned going slow and learning was the best approach. So I bought a G10, the idea being I could better learn the basics of aperture, shutter speed, exposure, etc.
before making the quantum leap to the DSLR world. And while this process is still continuing, I am at times stretching the limits of this camera, and realize I am getting closer to the DSLR world than I would have thought.

I understand the principle of getting the best lenses one can afford, as opposed to buying an expensive body.

I like to shoot all different types of things. macro,birds/wildlife and landscapes .I am a non working photographer, just a hobbyist.

Through work I can get a 450d twin lens kit for about 900 oz$. It comes with the standard 18-55, and 55-250 lenses. This will continue the learning process nicely I think.

What general purpose lens would be a good addition?? Or would spending a lot of bucks on a lens be wasted on the 450 body??

Really folks, my head is in a thousand different worlds, and your thoughts and advice would be greatly and warmly received.

cheers:D
don't get your knickers ina twist, it doesn't feel good and makes you walk funny

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 19, 2009
    Koush, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

The Canon XSi/450D is a pretty good entry level camera. The kit lenses are fine to get you started but you may grow out of them.

I don't think you will find them too suitable for macro and birding in particular.

Yes, the XSi/450D would support better lenses and yes, you could see better results than with the kit lenses.

Lighting will make an even bigger impact so take that into consideration when possible. Macro and family events will both do much better with appropriate lighting.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    For your macro work you really should get a good prime. The 50mm macro by sigma would work well, I keep on saying it and love this lens alot, and have used it for both macro work and portraits.

Canon also makes a 50 macro but I am not sure how its quality is, also its 1:2 instead of 1:1 macro (aka the sigma can focus on things closer to the lens)
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Like Ziggy mentioned, the 450d will be a great startup DSLR. It has a good quality, high resolution image sensor, and the better the glass you put in front of it, the happier you'll be.

That said it'll be hard to get a better telephoto than the 55-250mm and stay under budget, but if you're pretty crafty about getting close the 55-250 will give you some good results, so yeah, I'd stick with that for now.

The 18-55 is a sharp little lens, and will give you good general purpose shooting capabilities while you start off, and for the money it's hard to beat.

If you want to get into macro (you should thumb.gif), look at lenses like the EF-S 60mm from canon, and sigma's 50 and 70mm lenses (in that order), as these will be closest to your budget. As for the canon 50mm, NikonsandVstroms is right, it only goes to 1:2, and while it's a great quality lens, I'd avoid it for that reason. A general rule to remember when shopping for macro lenses, a TRUE macro lens is fixed focal length (eg 105mm, not 70-300mm) and usually has an f2.8 aperture. Any lens with those two characteristics, is going to deliver fantastic image quality, the only real differences are handling. The EF-S 60mm has the best focusing of the 3 mentioned, followed by the two sigmas which should be similar.

For a really tight budget, you could go with a canon EF 50mm f1.8 and a Kenko extension tube set. It's not quite as handy a rig as a dedicated macro lens (you have to attach lens to tubes, then tubes to camera for macro, and remove tubes for normal shooting) but it's a cheap setup and it will give you some adaptability for minimum $, not to mention that a 50 f1.8, despite it's very cheap price, is a very high performing piece of glass in it's own right.

I would hesitate to recommend longer lenses (100 through 180mm) for a beginner to macro, since these generally are more expensive, and will more often require a sturdy tripod ($), or off camera flash ($) and more practice handholding. I'm not saying don't go for them if you're able to get them, they're all wicked lenses, but I've got a 150mm macro and I pretty much "need" my flash, flash bracket, and off camera shoe cord to use it (add $500). The shorter the macro lens, the easier to use just on its own.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Out of curiosity, if you don't have any lenses or an existing system, why limit yourself to only Canon? Sony, Olympus, and of course Nikon should all be considered. headscratch.gif
  • manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Out of curiosity, if you don't have any lenses or an existing system, why limit yourself to only Canon? Sony, Olympus, and of course Nikon should all be considered. headscratch.gif
    Yep. I'd try a super-light Nikon D40 with the 18-200mm DX lens. You'll be a happy camper for sure.
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • koushkoush Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    thanks for all your help and advice. I guess the reason for choosing Canon
    over Nikon...is I can get a substantial staff discount at work and we don't carry Nikon products ( a bummer to be sure)

okay....more researching required:D
    thanks again everyonethumb.gif
    don't get your knickers ina twist, it doesn't feel good and makes you walk funny
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    ....toooo the East Siiiide....

oh wait, wrong thread sorry...carry on :D
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    koush wrote:
    hi grinners,

Through work I can get a 450d twin lens kit for about 900 oz$. It comes with the standard 18-55, and 55-250 lenses. This will continue the learning process nicely I think.

What general purpose lens would be a good addition?? Or would spending a lot of bucks on a lens be wasted on the 450 body??

Really folks, my head is in a thousand different worlds, and your thoughts and advice would be greatly and warmly received.

cheers:D
    I have the XTi (400D), which is a little less capable than the 450d, and I can tell you that the camera is plenty good enough that you will notice the difference between good lenses and cheaper ones.

I have owned both the EF 50mm macro and the EF-S 60 mm macro. They are both fine, but the EF-S 60 is far better--a true 1:1 macro, quieter focus, better bokeh, and very, very sharp. The only advantages of the 50mm is that it is much cheaper and will work on a full-frame sensor camera if you eventually move up to one. They both make fine walk-around prime lenses, although they are a tad long on a crop sensor camera.

I have the 55-250mm. It's not in a league with the EF-S 60 in terms of sharpness, but it is a fine lens for many purposes, with a useful range and fairly good optics (as long as you don't shoot wide open). And it is very compact and light for a lens of that length.

My experience with the 18-55 kit lens was not good, but I had the older version and may have had a bad copy. Still, it is a sensible thing to use while you are learning about the camera and figuring out what kinds of lenses make sense for you to invest in. I eventually replaced it with a Tamron 28-75, which is a great lens for my uses but might not be right for some other people.

Good luck. Enjoy your new camera.
    edited January 21, 2009
    thanks forthe input paddler...I will research both of those lenses to be sure.

I kinda figgered the kit lenses wouldn't be so hot, but none the less good enough to continue the learning curve on. That ef-s60mm sounds like a sweet lens.:D
    more googling required:D
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    koush wrote:
    more googling required:D
    Here are a few sites that I find extremely helpful when comparing gear, useful for any newbies happening upon this thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/ DSLR reviews in particular, but they're slowly adding lenses

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/ All things Canon (or canon mount)

http://www.photozone.de/ Extensive lens reviews

http://www.slrgear.com More lens reviews, I like their testing method a bit less than photozone's, but they also collect pretty extensive user feedback on the lenses they haven't tested yet, which can be helpful.
  • WolftepWolftep Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Here's one more to add to Robin's list...

http://www.cameralabs.com/ If you get tired of reading all you can, they have video tours of the cameras and lenses they have reviewed, which are pretty well done.
    edited January 22, 2009
    robin, tom.....thanks for the webbies. Great sites and great info. I am just glad that my camera purchase is still a few months away, cause I am in
    information overload:D Almost a case of the more you know the less you know.

However it ends up, thanks for stopping to consider my plight

tim