Options

R1800 print issues

mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
edited May 21, 2005 in Accessories
Well, I bought the R1800. I've got color problems, however. Seeing as how I came from an R200 and got great prints, I don't know what my problem is. I've tried printing from within iPhoto, from within Photoshop, and from the Epson Film Factory. Everything is giving me poor results.

Have tried using the driver's color management, using Color Sync, and using no color management in the driver and only in Photoshop.

In particular, reds. Over saturated, sometimes to the point of neon, and often it ends up looking likes its lacking dynamic range as well. In other words, what should be a graduation from one shade of red to another comes in leaps, rather than smooth transitions.

Please talk me out of returning this. I don't know what is wrong.
Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
A former sports shooter
Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Comments

• Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    I feel for you, there is nothing worse then a new toy that won't work. :cry I hope someone can help out, best of luck with getting it sorted. I wanted to see you post good things about this printer. I keep looking at the R1800 on E*ay but want a lens before anything else.

Stan
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Partially solved
    Part of the problem was clogged nozzles. Took two cleanings to get it clean. Might do one more, for heck of it. Explains at least part of the color issue. I'm getting closer to duplicating the colors at CostCo. Not quite there, but closer.

Want to make sure I'm doing everything correct. From within Photoshop: Convert the profile to the profile for the printer and paper I'm using. Then print and turn color management off in the print driver, but select the proper paper as normal. Then print.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 21, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    Part of the problem was clogged nozzles. Took two cleanings to get it clean. Might do one more, for heck of it. Explains at least part of the color issue. I'm getting closer to duplicating the colors at CostCo. Not quite there, but closer.

Want to make sure I'm doing everything correct. From within Photoshop: Convert the profile to the profile for the printer and paper I'm using. Then print and turn color management off in the print driver, but select the proper paper as normal. Then print.

Bill, I find the Epson 4000 gets clogged nozzles quite frequently too, unlike my 2200 which I thought kind of strange. While I was at the Yosemite Shoot Out, I had a chance to spend some time with Marc Muench, and he described the same exact experience too. It can be really confusing at first, because no software changes correct it, of course, and even one nozzle cleaning is not always successful. I also have the feeling tht the nozzles dry out faster in winter than summer - lower indoors humidity maybe.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:

Surely, as with your r200 there is a test page you can print to check the nozzles? I know that when tme r300 blocks, it can take several cleanings to clear it. Or is the r1800 completely different?

stan