Guadalupe River State Park

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited January 26, 2009 in Landscapes
I took a friend shooting in the Guadalupe River State Park this weekend. The water is very low from the drought, but we had a fun time and got a few nice shots. Here are a couple of mine, will post more later.
Comments are welcomed.

#1 Nice view westward, showing typical scene on this stretch of the river
458062205_evjDL-L-1.jpg

#2 Tough path to walk, with all the tree roots crossing it!
458051291_ug2om-L-1.jpg

#3 HDR version, 3 exposures from 1/30 to 1/5 at f/5, with a tripod and wireless remote.
458357066_xXzuj-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Favorite is #3, though it looks like the horizon is tilted to the left a little. Also with the narrow DOF would it have worked better if the front rock was the one in focus? Might also work as a vertical comp.

(Incidentally, this is why I take thousands of photos, I can't make any decisions for the life of me, so instead of making decisions, I try every possible permutation and randomly pick a few when I go through them later).
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Thanks, Ron. I substituted a straightened version of #3. I'll go back soon and try a vertical shot to see how it works--that might indeed be the better choice.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • pillmanpillman Registered Users Posts: 821 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    All nice, yet as previously noted narrow DOF is a issue. Love all
    the roots ..
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    Just bumping up, hoping for a few more looks and comments. I hope to go shoot here again soon, so any suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • jstpeterjstpeter Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Lauren,

Huge potential on number 2 and 3.

On number 2 my eye wants to move through that root valley and see the detail in all the roots but the DOF keeps me focused right at the front of your image. The rest then just becomes a distration. I think a higher angel and larger DOF would lead the viewer down that twisted path.

#3 Lovely composition and theme to this photo but agin my eye gets stuck on the middle rock. A higher DOF would have been great in this photo. The Shallow DOF leads the viewr to a single spot in the photo and I want my eyes to jump from rock to rock as I cross the river in my head. To be clear I am not saying every rock needs to be in focus but rather you want a gradual transition from your focal point.

What sperates this photo from #2 is your composition. Both have in essence the same general theme a pathway leading me from front to back, but in #3 your composition pulls me through more of your image

For photo one remember to take your time to see the image. What is going to make this unique. It can be as simple as the rock pathway you showcase in #3.

And last but not least keep these coming!

Sorry it took me so long to post a response :)
    Would love to hear from you on my blog, or website!