Options

help...dirt on mirror of xt....

traunerktraunerk Registered Users Posts: 513 Major grins
edited May 29, 2005 in Cameras
Can anyone help re: dirt on the mirror of my XT? ne_nau.gif

There are some spots in the finder that don't appear in photos or on the viewfinder surface, so I'm assuming they are on the mirror. A blast of air is not doing the trick. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...Keith
Beam me outta here!:winkKT

Comments

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2005
    If the spots are in focus they are likely on the focusing screen above the mirror.
  • Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    traunerk wrote:

There are some spots in the finder that don't appear in photos or on the viewfinder surface, so I'm assuming they are on the mirror. A blast of air is not doing the trick. Any suggestions?

Yep, it's on the focusing screen. I'm having the same problem and I posted a question on the theory and technique board and I haven't had any luck so far. Part of the problem is that the focusing screen has grooves in it that hold on to dust rather tenaciously. It's the same technology as those flat stickers they used to put on the back of vans so that people could see more out their back window. I'm not giving up though, if I find a solution I'll pass it on. Just so you know, dust on the focusing screen won't affect the images so in the meantime if you can ignore the spots in the view finder shoot away.

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    UPDATE,

Every post I could find on the subject recommends leaving it alone or taking it to an authorized dealer to be cleaned. Others tell tales of scratching the focusing screen or damaging the mirror in the process. Basically, I'm gonna keep using a hand blower until one of two things happen, 1. I get used to the dust or 2. It drives me crazy and I fork over $100.00 to Nikon to service it.
    I just talked with a guy at my shop and he said that the dust you can't get off with a blower requires disassembly and cleaning (which is why Nikon charges so much) Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    traunerktraunerk Registered Users Posts: 513 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Thanks.....
    Thanks for the efforts. It is frustrating, but I suppose I'll get used to it as it definitely is not affecting the actual photos. Please give a post if you do find a solution, as will I.

Regards...Keith
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    UPDATE,

Every post I could find on the subject recommends leaving it alone or taking it to an authorized dealer to be cleaned. Others tell tales of scratching the focusing screen or damaging the mirror in the process. Basically, I'm gonna keep using a hand blower until one of two things happen, 1. I get used to the dust or 2. It drives me crazy and I fork over $100.00 to Nikon to service it.
    I just talked with a guy at my shop and he said that the dust you can't get off with a blower requires disassembly and cleaning (which is why Nikon charges so much) Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

Beam me outta here!:winkKT
  • Options
    ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    traunerk wrote:

OK... I am not an expert... BUT, I was tired of spots!!!

I had a spotty viewfinder....I got rid of them...
    You are probably not supposed to do this, but, it worked...and I see no problems.

I tired the minor air blast, got some, not all spots.
    Then, while doing the brush clean on the sensor...
    I tried it on the focus screen...barely touching.
    It worked, then I did another minor air blast...
    Nice clean viewfinder.

I know you are not supposed to try this type of action, but, when you don't have a Canon dealer or service within a 4hr drive...you get brave.thumb.gif
  • Options
    zedELzedEL Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    On www.dpreview.com there is a procedure step-by-step how to clean the focusing screen that somebody did successfuly. It involves removal of the screen, washing it and then again installing it.

If anybody is interested, just do a search "clean focusing screen" or something close.

I'm curious, even using the Giotto Rocket blower doesn't help ?