Candid Head Shots

DavremdaliDavremdali Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited January 25, 2009 in People
440069003_sZnet-L-8.jpg

Good morning, This is my first post after joining Dgrin. I photographed this mom while she was talkinh with her son at my son's birthday party. I would like to get the forums professional opinion on this photo.

Reynaldo AKA Davremdali
www.creativephotoimages.smugmug.com
www.edc-llc.net
www.facebook.com

Comments

• du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Welcome!

Four things stand out to me.

1) It's soft. There isn't really anything sharply in focus.
    2) It needs some color work. This is a very warm image - white balance is off. What was it set to on the camera?
    3) It's dead center. Cropping a bit of the left would help a lot.
    4) The top of her head is chopped off. My personal rule of thumb - if you're going to sever a body part - have a good reason for it.

Please take these comments for what they are - honest feedback from someone who's learning these very things - and has a long way to go. Keep shooting - and reading the forums around here. There's a lot of great people here who will help you learn and get a ton better!

Good Luck,
    d8
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Welcome to dgrin! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    I actally like the warmth of the shot and don't mind the cut off head. That seems to be all the rage these days. I don;t know it planned or not but it works for me anyway. I love the expression but it is dead center.

And yeah it is soft.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • DavremdaliDavremdali Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    candid Head shot
    Good evening, Nikolai, Qarik and Du8die, thank you all for the educational comments. One of the reason that I am on this site is to find better ways to perfect my craft. I did intend to cut the top of the head and increase the color warmth. I however re-edited the original and balanced out the level, color and curve as suggested which placed the WB on que. it however did not turn out as warm but much better. In addition, the photo as you all stated, it is to centered. I will pay more attention and try not to center my shots. Again, thanks for the comments.

v/r,

Reynaldo
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Welcome to Dgrin! I love the way the light falls on her face. Pretty lady! I don't mind the warmth at all but I agree it is way too soft. Do you have a hood on your lens for contrast? I can't find a point of focus at all. As far as the head cropped, I would just crop it a bit more. From the amount that is cut off it seems more like an error than an intentional act.
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited January 21, 2009
    Candid Head Shots
    Good Morning Sandy, how far down do you think I should have cropped the head section. Thanks for the informatuion.:ivar

BTW - your portrait shots are beautiful.
    Reynaldo
    edited January 21, 2009
    Candid Head Shots
    440069287_9NSjp-L-6.jpg

Good morning all, here is another shot. Feel free to comment. Thanks
    Reynaldo
    edited January 25, 2009
    Candid Head Shot
    461369802_XaNX3-L.jpg
    Good morning DGgrinners, I edited this photo again and would like your input in comparison to the original post.

Reynaldo