Images of Broken Light (or: Bzdula Beams!)

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited January 27, 2009 in Landscapes
After shooting the sunrise at Second Beach, I walked back out on the small trail looking for some sunbeams (the forecast said there would be 95% humidity with a matching temperature and dew point, and no cloud cover, which is a recipe for fog, this is why I chose Second Beach for sunrise).

Some of the Bzdula Beams also have Muench Stars (it couldn't be helped). Incidentally, the new 24-105 that came with my new camera produces better diffraction stars than the one I had previously (and sold used to a friend). I'm not complaining.

Anyway, I got lucky and there were some great beams (this is the first time I have shot these).

#1:

458242198_Y5NYq-L.jpg

#2:

458239991_iQRHD-L.jpg

#3:

458237794_R5Nkf-L.jpg

#4:

458239482_6hJuz-L.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    O M G!!!!!!

Coscorrosa Beams from now on.

These are stunning. I could never come close to this.

Coscorrosa Beams.....
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    stunning. seriously stunning. thumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapiloveyou.giflustiloveyou.giflust
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    rolleyes1.gif I love the new terminology! Whatever they're going to be called, they're awesome. Beautiful, gorgeous work and you certainly do your homework for getting the shot. I will have to remember that recipe for fog. thumb.gif
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Ron, #1 is phenominal. I LOVE the way the tree at far right is highlighted and the conversion to black & white was a great choice.

It's really satisfying when you're able to snag more great shots like this after your primary shoot (your sunrise shots). Well done. Have you upgraded to a 1Tb harddrive yet? Surely you must be running out of space! :D

Steve
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Great shots....#1 is SUPERB!
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    :wow That first shot is just amazing. Very well done Ron. thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • KwartaKwarta Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    http://kbkphoto.com/

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.~Ansel Adams
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Very nice thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    WOW.

or as everyone else has been saying... bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

A man of few words! Thanks Dan :D
    edited January 20, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    O M G!!!!!!

Coscorrosa Beams from now on.

These are stunning. I could never come close to this.

Coscorrosa Beams.....

Nope, sorry, tradition says that these have to remain Bzdula Beams!

And you certainly could do this, I just happened to be very fortunate with a great subject. I've found that 99% of it is just being at the right place at the right time (and you can do a lot of things to increase your odds, but you're always at the mercy of forces beyond your control).

It was difficult for me to find compositions for these, the forest was pretty thick, and moving just a degree or two would completely change the shot since the beams are so directional.
    edited January 20, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif I love the new terminology! Whatever they're going to be called, they're awesome. Beautiful, gorgeous work and you certainly do your homework for getting the shot. I will have to remember that recipe for fog. thumb.gif

Thanks schmoo, actually the national weather service did the homework, I just copied their answers :D

When you go to the NWS website you can search for a city (and then actually double click on the map if the area you're at isn't at a city, which comes in handy sometimes):

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=La+Push&state=WA&site=SEW&textField1=47.9089&textField2=-124.635&e=0

And then click on the Hourly Weather Graph link at the bottom:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=La+Push&state=WA&site=SEW&textField1=47.9089&textField2=-124.635&e=0&FcstType=graphical

Extremely useful for finding what the conditions (temp, precipitation, dew point, wind/direction, etc.) are going to be at dawn and dusk (the "morning/afternoon/night" split they give on the news isn't detailed enough for anyone).
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Very cool Ron really like #1 and the B&W conversion. All are spectacular guess you can wrap the trip up as a success. Very nice work on both post.

Ray Still
    edited January 20, 2009
    scole wrote:
    Ron, #1 is phenominal. I LOVE the way the tree at far right is highlighted and the conversion to black & white was a great choice.

It's really satisfying when you're able to snag more great shots like this after your primary shoot (your sunrise shots). Well done. Have you upgraded to a 1Tb harddrive yet? Surely you must be running out of space! :D

Steve

Thanks Steve, there was too much contrast to try and get much color out of #1 so I didn't have a lot of choice but did like the way the B&W turned out.

I have a 1.5 TB RAID disk (that's full) and I just bought a new computer with two 640 GB hard drives :D

I wizened up last year and started deleting photos I didn't like, but I still have a bunch of old crap I need to get rid of.

The stuff I care about I also backup on Amazon S3 (the same storage service that SmugMug uses), I use JungleDisk and find it works very well (and I can use it from Linux, OS X, or Windows with no problem).
    edited January 20, 2009
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the comments everyone! #1 is my favorite as well. Olympic National Park is outstanding, and unlike the other two national parks here (North Cascades and Mt. Rainier) it's pretty much open for business all year long (the rain forest and coast parts, not the mountains of course).

I'm lucky that I can get there in about 4 hours with minimal chance of getting pulled over for speeding. I plan on making a few more trips before things warm up weather permitting.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 20, 2009
    2,3 and 4 are just lovely, Ron. But I have to agree that #1 steals the show. That light is amazing, but that little starburst through the trees is just showing off. rolleyes1.gif:D

Great job reading the weather. Wish we got weather out here like that. :cry

Cheers,
    -joel
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Good Lord- #1 is S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G.... :eek1

Great series...thumb.gif

Cheers,
    edited January 20, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    2,3 and 4 are just lovely, Ron. But I have to agree that #1 steals the show. That light is amazing, but that little starburst through the trees is just showing off. rolleyes1.gif:D

Great job reading the weather. Wish we got weather out here like that. :cry

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks Joel, actually the showing off part was that I took that shot *while standing on just one leg*. I know, maybe that doesn't sound impressive to you, but the Steller's Jay a few feet away was digging it.
    edited January 20, 2009
    A few more...
    Here a few more I converted to B&W, I still think the original #1 in the thread is the best. Like I said before, I had a hard time finding compositions for these in the thick forest.

#5:

458238499_k3yfo-L.jpg

#6:

458242547_yMR3X-L.jpg

#7:

458236767_Wgyxa-L.jpg
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Very nice, youve been busy!
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    WOW! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Excellent, and stunning photos!

ann
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    I am sure you have motivated many of us to try this. I have already visited Bzdula's website.
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    WOW! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Excellent, and stunning photos!

ann

I couldn't agree more.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Great concept with very dynamic lighting.
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I am sure have motivated many of us to try this. I have already visited Bzdula's website.

I guess I motivated Ron to try these incredible shots, and now he has motivated many on us, including me. I still think that first shot is a show stopper. Well done, young jedi. :D
  • Dwayne OakesDwayne Oakes Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    The first one rocks !! Great job Ron.

Take care,

Dwayne Oakes
  • TJDIVTJDIV Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Very cool. I'm wondering how this would look / turn out with 4' of snow and no leaves on the trees....

Thanks for sharing-
    "Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger"

9zero6 | Upper Peninsula Overland
    edited January 23, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    I guess I motivated Ron to try these incredible shots, and now he has motivated many on us, including me. I still think that first shot is a show stopper. Well done, young jedi. :D

I'm more of a Star Trek guy than Star Wars, but thanks anyway :D

But yeah, you're right, your shots that you posted from Rialto Beach actually put the thought of sunbeam shots in my mind, and that, along with the forecast, actually altered my plans and I shot at Second Beach instead of Ruby Beach for sunrise (incidentally, that was a great choice, as Second Beach at sunrise that day was incredible). So, thanks! :D