EFS 17-85 AF Problem?

MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited January 20, 2009 in Cameras
Hi there, I'm having problems with one lens. It seems to have problems getting a focus lock. I've tried it in various situations and with different focus spot settings. It does best focusing on close still objects, but if items are a little further (such as a landscape shot) it will try to focus in and out, but doesn't get a lock on anything.

When I put on a different lens it has no problems.

Do I need to clean something? Is this something that requires sending in for repair? Any help is appreciated. :bow

Thanks!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 20, 2009
    MarkTodd,

Do you have a filter on the lens?

Has the lens been dropped?

Do you hear any "rattle" from inside the lens?

Shine a single LED flash light through the lens, both directions. Do you see any haze inside the lens?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    MarkTodd,

Do you have a filter on the lens?

Has the lens been dropped?

Do you hear any "rattle" from inside the lens?

Shine a single LED flash light through the lens, both directions. Do you see any haze inside the lens?

Hi Ziggy,

The lens currently doesn't have a filter. It has never been dropped. No rattles that I'm aware of, but I'll give it a little shake when I go home tonight. I'll check for haze as well. If there's haze, what would be my next course of action?
  • MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Oh....wait a minute....

My son did drop the camera once with this lens on it while it was in the carrying case. It was from a height of about two feet.

Nothing better than saying "if you drop this you're dead" followed by an immediate drop to send one into convulsions. :bash
    I think the trauma of the event caused me to block out my memory!

But I believe the lens was acting up before that event.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 20, 2009
    MarkTodd wrote:
    Oh....wait a minute....

My son did drop the camera once with this lens on it while it was in the carrying case. It was from a height of about two feet.

Nothing better than saying "if you drop this you're dead" followed by an immediate drop to send one into convulsions. :bash
    I think the trauma of the event caused me to block out my memory!

But I believe the lens was acting up before that event.

Potentially, that could do it. It could now need calibration or even some parts replaced internally. I'm not saying that's it for sure, so you can probably keep the kid, but it could be a possibility.

If you don't see any haze inside the lens then I would send the lens in for repairs/recalibration.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums