Buying a camera with pay pal

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited January 20, 2009 in Cameras
Good Afternoon Folks,
Has anyone bought anything where the seller has a pay pal account and the buyer doesn't ? I have an opportunity to get a 5D for $1125, if I wire the seller the money directly to his pay pal account from my checking or savings account. Doesn't sound like a scam, but you never know. Let me know what you think please :thumb
Have a good afternoon :D
Jim...

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 20, 2009
    I'm not sure you have any protection with that method. Proceed with great caution and understand the risk of loss, potentially everything.

You might want to contact PayPal to see what they think. (They will probably try to talk you into an account.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I'm not sure you have any protection with that method. Proceed with great caution and understand the risk of loss, potentially everything.

You might want to contact PayPal to see what they think. (They will probably try to talk you into an account.)
    Afternoon Ziggy and thanks for the advice thumb.gif
    I offered to send the seller a MO, which is usually how I conduct interstate business, but he wants a money transfer to his account. Thanks again.
    Jim...
    edited January 20, 2009
    Just received an e-mail that the seller decided to sell locally. Ziggy, thanks again thumb.gif
    Have a good afternoon folks :D
    Jim...
  • bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    money transfers are the number one source of frauds on the internet. I know this to be 100% true. Many people offer a great price on an item and then ask you to send money transfer. The money is wired and then you never recieve the item.

Trust me here, sometimes a great deal on the internet is not the best deal, its just a flat out scam.

Im guessing this item is for sale on Craigslist or similar?? If you pay him paypal, you will not be protected unless it is coming from a paypal account as well. Even then you run the risk. I only purchase from ebay using paypal for the protection.

I would not trust anyone online, I work in law enforcement and we hear about these scams every single day. Honestly, every single day!!!!!
    edited January 20, 2009
    bosco0633 wrote:
    money transfers are the number one source of frauds on the internet. I know this to be 100% true. Many people offer a great price on an item and then ask you to send money transfer. The money is wired and then you never recieve the item.

Trust me here, sometimes a great deal on the internet is not the best deal, its just a flat out scam.

Im guessing this item is for sale on Craigslist or similar?? If you pay him paypal, you will not be protected unless it is coming from a paypal account as well. Even then you run the risk. I only purchase from ebay using paypal for the protection.

I would not trust anyone online, I work in law enforcement and we hear about these scams every single day. Honestly, every single day!!!!!
    Good Afternoon and thanks for your response thumb.gif
    The item was for sale on that 'other site' (FM.com) rolleyes1.gifThe seller has been a member since 2002, with only 34 posts. He does not have any feedback whatsoever. That's why I was hesitant. Thanks again thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 20, 2009
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Afternoon Ziggy and thanks for the advice thumb.gif
    I offered to send the seller a MO, which is usually how I conduct interstate business, but he wants a money transfer to his account. Thanks again.
    Jim...

I would at very least contact PayPal about "him" to corroborate that he has a PayPal account and that there are no grievances against him.

Is the deal worth the risk?

KEH has some used 5D cameras for sale in pretty good condition and I assure you the risk is much less and the price not that much more.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • troybaltroybal Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    I purchase alot of items with Paypal, I do have an ebay account but also pay for other items via Paypal as well. I think I payed for Smug Mug with Paypal as well (if I remember correctly).

Anyway, I have had a couple of issues but worked with Paypal and I got my money back. If you would have opened a Paypal account, then you could get the Paypal Protection but I think it is regulated to items on eBay but they are moving forward with other items.
    My Stuff
    Camera: Canon 50d, Canon 1D Mark IV
    Lens: 85L, 35L, 70-200L,
    28-135mm IS, 50mm 1.4
    Flash: 580EX II, 3xB8000 AB's/FlexTT5s
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Even though this deal is dead, I thought I'd chime in to help a bit.

What would have happened is that by putting in your checking account information (along with your e-mail address and personal information) to pay the seller, you would have been opening a Paypal account. They wouldn't have made it obvious that it's what your were doing, but trust me, at the end of the transaction he would have been paid, you would been protected against fraud, and you would have ended up with a paypal account (whether or not you wanted it). deal.gif
    edited January 20, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Even though this deal is dead, I thought I'd chime in to help a bit.

What would have happened is that by putting in your checking account information (along with your e-mail address and personal information) to pay the seller, you would have been opening a Paypal account. They wouldn't have made it obvious that it's what your were doing, but trust me, at the end of the transaction he would have been paid, you would been protected against fraud, and you would have ended up with a paypal account (whether or not you wanted it). deal.gif
    Good Evening and thank you for your response thumb.gif
    I wasn't about to go public, over the net, with any of my personal info mwink.gif If someone doesn't want to accept a MO, then that's fine with me. I'll wait until the next great deal thumb.gif Thanks again and have a good evening :D
    Jim...
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    I know a lot of folks don't like Paypal, but I just wanted to say that the ONLY time I have ever had a problem with an ebay purchase (when buying a kitchen faucet, of all things), Paypal lived up to their guarantee 100% and reimbursed me the entire purchase cost of the item which I never received (it was pretty cut and dry, especially once the seller deleted their ebay account and id before resolving the claim!)

So, while I think there's a limit to how much they'll guarantee, it certainly worked exactly as advertised in my case and I was extremely happy I'd used that method of payment. FWIW.