Trying out the D700

BVardyBVardy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited February 5, 2009 in People
Hi all,

New to Nikon, still learning the ropes, and looking to capture my kids growing up while learning from those who know more.

A couple of recent favourites with the D700.

444523061_3S5Bv-L.jpg

444522213_jNjfm-L.jpg

In this one, Sam seems slightly out of focus, while Chloé is sharp. I realized that I shot it at f2.8 :scratch

457062856_JyvMY-L.jpg

457059477_p8j8x-L.jpg

Cheers, and thanks for looking :D

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    look at those eyes! clap.gif nice shots..I swear that the full frame cameras have different feel to the pictures though I can't really put my finger on it. They just look "better"
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • rnoursernourse Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    +1 for better-er
  • BVardyBVardy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    look at those eyes! clap.gif nice shots..I swear that the full frame cameras have different feel to the pictures though I can't really put my finger on it. They just look "better"

I wonder is it the full frame, or that amazing sensor plate? Either way, I know what you mean about the 'feel'.

Here's one of Sam when he was smaller, taken with the XT and the 70-200 f2.8L. It has a similar look, if a little overexplosed.

167317244_xtGrz-L.jpg
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 21, 2009
    BVardy wrote:
    In this one, Sam seems slightly out of focus, while Chloé is sharp. I realized that I shot it at f2.8 headscratch.gif

457062856_JyvMY-S.jpg

Cheers, and thanks for looking :D
    Krikey! Sam was a baby like yesterday!!! Those are some cute kids there Mr Vardy, hope I get to meet Chloe before she and Sam are both riding their own motos!

Now, was that 2.8 on a 50mm or a 200mm lens? It makes a pretty big difference in "how much" you can get in focus - focal length and DOF have an inverse relationship. As your focal length increases (for the same focal distance = distance to subject), your depth of field decreases. If we use 50mm and 200mm, both at f/2.8 and both at 10m away, your depth goes from about 4m to 0.2m.

So yeah, Sam could very well be just a touch soft. But still a fantastic photo, colors and poses are perfect!

wave.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited January 21, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Krikey! Sam was a baby like yesterday!!! Those are some cute kids there Mr Vardy, hope I get to meet Chloe before she and Sam are both riding their own motos!

Now, was that 2.8 on a 50mm or a 200mm lens? It makes a pretty big difference in "how much" you can get in focus - focal length and DOF have an inverse relationship. As your focal length increases (for the same focal distance = distance to subject), your depth of field decreases. If we use 50mm and 200mm, both at f/2.8 and both at 10m away, your depth goes from about 4m to 0.2m.

So yeah, Sam could very well be just a touch soft. But still a fantastic photo, colors and poses are perfect!

wave.gif

Hi Erik wave.gif

It was the 70-200 Nikkor, probably spun way out, so at 2.8 I'd have about two inches of focus :D Et voilà.

Hey, you KNOW that you and Mrs. It are always welcome here. Always. Now that your back from your upside-down tour, let's try to hook up this spring and eat, drink and ride bikes. I've PMed you the new contact info (new job, etc...)

And thanks for the kind words!
    edited January 21, 2009
    BVardy wrote:
    It was the 70-200 Nikkor, probably spun way out, so at 2.8 I'd have about two inches of focus :D Et voilà.
    I figured, judging by how little road there was in the frame. Man, what a combo that is, D700 and that VR lens (best lens I ever owned, hands down)!
    let's try to hook up this spring and eat, drink and ride bikes.
    Most definitely thumb.gif
    Erik

• TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    I have a DOF calculator on my blackberry, maybe you can get that for your smartphone/regular phone. It comes in handy when you are trying to calculate near and far sharpness.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
    edited January 25, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    I have a DOF calculator on my blackberry, maybe you can get that for your smartphone/regular phone. It comes in handy when you are trying to calculate near and far sharpness.

Good idea thumb.gif
    edited January 25, 2009
    ISO1600, sleeping in Daddy's room with the blinds drawn. Quite dark, actually. I knew that I had one shot only, so I set the ISO to 1600 (to try it) and snuck in the room. CLICK! She woke up, but went back to sleep.

I'm blown away by how this camera shoots 1600 bowdown.gif

461558712_h2sir-X3.jpg
  • Wes WeberWes Weber Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Great shot!

I wish I had my D700 when my kids were both that small (they're 3 and almost 6 now). But even now I'm having fun cranking up the ISO to 3200 and shooting them from a ways off so they don't know what I'm doing. This "no flash" concept is awesome!

Wes
    edited January 26, 2009
    Wes Weber wrote:
    This "no flash" concept is awesome!

Wes

Hey Wes,

Agreed. I was very, very surprised at how that last shot came out - the room was actually quite dark. Amazing versatility.
    edited February 3, 2009
    Another with better light :D

467203458_oddnz-X3.jpg
  • Wes WeberWes Weber Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Man, you guys have all the fun! Woot! clap.gif
    edited February 4, 2009
    Does this mean daddy has a sled too??

Fantastic shot in some gorgeous afternoon light thumb.gif
    Erik

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Threads like this should be against the law!:D
    edited February 4, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Does this mean daddy has a sled too??

Fantastic shot in some gorgeous afternoon light thumb.gif

Nah, sleds are useless here - too many restrictions! I miss my Labrador days.
    edited February 4, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    WINTER should be against the law. :D
  • Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif Stop making me want to sell my car and walk the 35-40km each way to University every day just so I can have a D700.
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • elchulopadreelchulopadre Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 4, 2009
    Oooh, what great pics! I need one of those cameras! rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 5, 2009
    BVardy wrote:
    WINTER should be against the law. :D
    You know I'm 100% with you on that one!!! lol3.gif
    Erik