Options

Newbie question about Nikon workflow...

manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
edited January 26, 2009 in Finishing School
I have been shooting my D700 in jpeg mode without much post-processing. Now I want to start using RAW (NEF files, right?) and doing serious finishing work on the computer. This will be my first time doing this.

My question is, what is a typical workflow for a Nikon DSLR like the D700? Do you open the NEF files in Nikon's Capture NX2 software, then save them as some other file format, and then open them in Lightroom/Photoshop? Do you open the NEF files directly in Lightroom/Photoshop? Or is there some other process or step that is recommended?

Thanks.... :ear
"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    manbou wrote:
    I have been shooting my D700 in jpeg mode without much post-processing. Now I want to start using RAW (NEF files, right?) and doing serious finishing work on the computer.
    . . .

I have a Nikon, but not as fancy as yours. I shoot RAW with a D80. My workflow consists of importing the RAW files into my Aperture library and adjusting as necessary. Personally, it would drive me nuts to have multiple copies (in different file formats) of various images and/or to use multiple tools to move from camera to finished image.

I'm strictly an amateur, so bear that in mind. But my advice would be go directly to Lightroom, by-passing Capture NX2 (or directly to Aperture, if you work on a Mac). You may decide to use Photoshop for some images (whether you use Aperture or Lightroom), but maybe not. Probably most of your images will not get that further processing - so the majority of your images will be well cared-for and organized in either Aperture or Lightroom. (they can both now read D700 images, right? if not . . . soon.)

I've read some comments on these boards suggesting Capture NX does a better job with the RAW interpretation (and I think it is the only tool that is "aware" of a Nikon camera's settings you had in effect at the time of capture, white balance, etc.), but I suspect that is something that you would need to spend a lot of time to recognize and appreciate. And anyway, I don't believe Capture gets you anywhere that you can't get yourself via the other tools (you just might spend a little more time adjusting - which I suspect is not significant time unless you are a pro).

Just my two cents.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I too shoot Nikon, but only with a D50. Here's my workflow:

- use nikon transfer to transfer the files from the memory card to my computer and input my copyright/keywords/etc and rename the files to something meaningful
    - open Capture NX2 and batch process all of the files as 30% quality jpg's as shot out of the camera to be uploaded to a proof gallery for my client on smugmug so that they can order the prints that they want
    - then any shots they order or I like and want to work with I do 95% of my editing inside Capture NX2.
    - for black and white conversions, duo/tri/quad toning or really detailed cloning I save the file as a 16 bit tiff and then open it in Photoshop CS3

The reason I do 95% of my work in Capture NX2 is because not only do I start with the baseline settings from my camera but also the fact that I can save multiple versions of the same image inside a single NEF file. I've found that very helpful in keeping my hard drive less cluttered! I've also found that I can accomplish practically everything I need to do to an image inside Capture NX2 and very rarely need to use Photoshop CS3.

If you need help learning how to fully use Capture NX2 you should seriously check out Jason Odell's e-book on it. I purchased both his Capture NX book and his Capture NX2 book when I upgraded to NX2. They are well worth the read and completely demistify the Capture NX user interface and now it makes a lot of sense, much more than Photoshop does for me.

http://www.luminescentphoto.com/nx2guide.html
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Work Flow
    When I shoot RAW files, I dump them into Adobe's Lightroom...and I do the same if I shoot jpegs. I rate and cull here. You can then use Lightrooms RAW tools to adjust the files and batch process as necessary.

Then export to a client folder with a naming covention...like client name...event name...etc. Next, I review, and if I like, then it's off to the website, or email, or whatever.

I don't know about the D700, but the D300's files benefit from post processing. If you aren't post processing, you are missing out on making your photos as good as they can be.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    As an amateur, I use both Lightroom 2 and Capture NX 2. I like the speed and convenience that LR provides. However, CNX will allow you to get the best from your photo's. I spend enough time on a computer and don't want to invest the time or money to learn Photoshop. I think it would be of little value for me as an amateur.

If your organization habits are poor then start with LR. If you have a clear concise and organized systems for storing your images, then CNX may be a better choice initially. I like them both, but could probably be satisfied with just CNX.

If you've not tried either program, then download the 30-day evaluations and see what you like.

Dale