Nikon price increase on Feb 1, 2009

TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
edited January 22, 2009 in Cameras
I got an email from my local shop today about a price increase for Nikon gear, starting Feb 1, 2009. They don't have details on exactly what is going up and by exactly how much, but they did say the increase was across the board and the increases could be as high as 15%.

Apparently the same thing is happening in Canada, the UK, and Australia.

Check with your local shop or favorite retailer and get your gear now before you have to pay a premium.
Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen

Comments

• AspectArtsAspectArts Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    OH, well, that's a bummer. Good thing I ordered my lens this week. lol. It already stretches a tight budget to buy things..... what will my kids eat?? lol:cry
    Lisa

my site: www.aspectartsphoto.com
    my gear: nikon D700, 70-200 mm 2.8, 24-70 mm 2.8, 50 mm 1.4, SB600, AB800
  • kejagokejago Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Terrence wrote:
    Apparently the same thing is happening in Canada, the UK, and Australia.

Yes, this did happen in the UK. Prices have increased. And it is not just Nikon, but Canon and others too. It has to do this the currency exchange rate of the yen. I missed the good deals by a week. Now I need to wait a bit for things to stabalize a bit. :cry
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    That sounds like a stupid idea.
    Economy is bad = people can't afford as much stuff = let's charge them moreheadscratch.gif
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Economy is bad = people can't afford as much stuff = let's charge them moreheadscratch.gif

Lets hope the other companies don't follow this plan, otherwise I will need to buy this Olympus gear ASAP
  • daldridgedaldridge Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Currency Exchange Rate
    If you build in yen and it devalues relative to other currencies, you must raise prices to stay in business, and Board of Directors are funny about making a profit.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    The same thing was told to me in mid-December in New Zealand when I bought an SB-600: Nikon price increases on the way. At least they apparently, honestly communicated their intent early to distributors and retailers. Kudos for that. Still not happy about any relative price increase.

This will definitely delay a couple of purchases I was planning. Of course, they'd already been delayed a while earlier with the collapse of the AUD against the RMB and USD around six months ago.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 21, 2009
    daldridge wrote:
    If you build in yen and it devalues relative to other currencies, you must raise prices to stay in business, and Board of Directors are funny about making a profit.

Daldridge, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for the comments.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Well I had the desire to purchase 2 maybe 3 lenses this year, but looks like I am going to have to wait. They are expensive as it is, but I am not paying extra right now. That is so strange that in times of economic hardship, a company would be bold enough to increase its prices.

If this is a Nikon only decision, you may see alot more Canon, sony, Olympus people in the near future.

I guess in the long, run this is a hobby for most, and a profession for others, so maybe they justify the increase because it is not a true necessity item. I dont know. Looks like maybe 1 lens this year maybe 2 instead.

who knows, I did play lottery today so maybe the 33 million may come my way. That way I will buy you all a lens of your choice.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 21, 2009
    bosco0633 wrote:

who knows, I did play lottery today so maybe the 33 million may come my way. That way I will buy you all a lens of your choice.

I hope you win. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • M.MoranPhotographyM.MoranPhotography Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2009

Not really. You should read kejago's post, its quite an eye opener ;).