The Racetrack of Death Valley

2»

Comments

• Capt Rick HiottCapt Rick Hiott Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I like the last shot. The EXIF says that the shutter speed was 3712" WOW!
    Thats around 60 min.
    Capt Rick Hiott
    Charleston, South Carolina.
    www.reelfishhead.com
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I officialy hate you! :D

Great shots!!!!!!

Sam
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 22, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    Very nice series. 2-5 are very impressive to me.

Periodically the NPS removes the tea kettles. Technically, they are considered litter.
    Thanks, Walter! Good to hear from you.

Thanks for the explanation on the absconded teakettles. Personally, I think the NPS is just pissed because it wasn't their idea. That sign with the teakettles is a classic.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited January 22, 2009
    I like the last shot. The EXIF says that the shutter speed was 3712" WOW!
    Thats around 60 min.
    Thank, Capt Rick! Yup, it was about a one hour exposure which ended right at midnight. Truth be told, I had an alarm set and was sacked-out myself while it was being taken. nod.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited January 22, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    I officialy hate you! :D

Great shots!!!!!!

Sam
    Hey Sam, how's your tire doing? blbl.gifrofl

Hehe, sorry that was mean. :D

Glad you like the shots, and appreciate you checking in! thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Hey thanks for the info, just caught back up with this thread..

I may just look you up when I am down there. Always willing to meet another Dgrinner..

Looks like my conference is may 17th - 21st, so I should be out of Vegas mid afternoon on the 21st. I have to decide whether the long drive to Arches is worth it or just stick with visiting Zion and DV for 2-3 days each..

Is Arches worth the trip...Could I spend 3-4 days in Arches ?

Cheers

Dave
    BeachBill wrote:
    Just drive north past my house then hang a left, in other words take hwy 95 north (I will wave hi) then left on hwy 374 west at Beatty (don't forget to check out Rhyolite).

Just be aware that it will be about 100 degrees in DV in May. Bring lots of water.

There is lodging in the park at Stovepipe Wells and Furnace Creek (think air conditioning).

P.S. Feel free to contact me when you are here.
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    The slot canyons (Coyote Buttes) are not too far from Zion

Rags
    Rags
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Boy, that also looks like a great place !!
    torags wrote:
    The slot canyons (Coyote Buttes) are not too far from Zion

Rags
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • IRUKANJIIRUKANJI Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Great series! I wonder if anyone has ever taken GPS coords of the rocks and checked back after they "moved"? Could the surface possibly be showing a trail rather than the rocks moving? ne_nau.gif

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    edited January 28, 2009
    IRUKANJI wrote:
    Great series! I wonder if anyone has ever taken GPS coords of the rocks and checked back after they "moved"? Could the surface possibly be showing a trail rather than the rocks moving? ne_nau.gif

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! Yes, there have actually been lots of studies on the moving rocks. They definitely move. I think it was last winter that they had some students camp out for the entire winter watching them. But of course they didn't move for them. But the movements have been recorded. We saw signs of experiments in process, like strategically placed rocks tagged with red flags, etc.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    I think it was last winter that they had some students camp out for the entire winter watching them. But of course they didn't move for them. But the movements have been recorded. We saw signs of experiments in process, like strategically placed rocks tagged with red flags, etc.

That is crazy. Can you imagine what kind of wind it would take to move those rocks? And combined with the rain (or ice) seems like it would be a pretty intense place to be-- as in the wind could probably move a person across the racetrack too! :D You'd probably need an ice axe to self-arrest!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited January 28, 2009
    dogwood wrote:
    That is crazy. Can you imagine what kind of wind it would take to move those rocks? And combined with the rain (or ice) seems like it would be a pretty intense place to be-- as in the wind could probably move a person across the racetrack too! :D You'd probably need an ice axe to self-arrest!

Absolutely. nod.gif It would not be a place you'd want to be.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    by driving on Nevada highway 95 north for 111 miles (or about one hour mwink.gif).
    lol3.gif
    edited March 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    lol3.gif
    Thanks, Andy. :marlin

:D
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    lol3.gif

After having the pleasure of riding with Andy in Moab, I can say that sounds about right for him. eek7.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Yeah I was sacked out because I was sleeping in a tent on the rocks of Death Valley and kdog was enjoying the confines of his full size Surburban with a matress!! rolleyes1.gif
    Ah! Some things never change. Damn I miss you guys :cry
    anwmn1 wrote:
    He also got to enjoy his Jacuzzi the next night while I didn't get home until 2:30am Monday morning. rolleyes1.gif
    Maybe he should get one of these - hook it up to the Suburban

Nice Shots Joel. #3 is screaming for an HDR treatment. And make sure you let Nik know you can sleep during those all night exposures. #7

BTW - Ignore my PM on your trip. Obviously I hadn't seen this post yet.11doh.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    You can get to Death Valley by driving on Nevada highway 95 north for 111 miles (or about one hour mwink.gif).l

That sounds about right.
    205419316_S4ukQ-L.jpg

Beautiful looking series Joel!!
    edited March 5, 2009
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Ah! Some things never change. Damn I miss you guys :cry

Maybe he should get one of these - hook it up to the Suburban

Nice Shots Joel. #3 is screaming for an HDR treatment. And make sure you let Nik know you can sleep during those all night exposures. #7

BTW - Ignore my PM on your trip. Obviously I hadn't seen this post yet.11doh.gif
    Hey David, where you been hiding. wave.gif That portable hot tub looks great! :giggle

Photos 1-5 are all HDRs. The fact that you didn't pick up on that means I've done my job well, if perhaps a bit understated. deal.gif

Some day, the Fab-4 shall ride again. wings.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited March 5, 2009
    grimace wrote:
    That sounds about right.
    205419316_S4ukQ-L.jpg

Beautiful looking series Joel!!
    I don't know what's more disturbing about that shot: the fact that you were doing 100 MPH+, the fact that you weren't wearing your seatbelt, or the fact that you were doing both of those while taking pictures of your dashboard. :yikes
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009