Valentine's Sweetheart

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited January 22, 2009 in People
Okay, yes it's my little model in the making again. I can't help it. I like to practice on her. I'm going to do a little mini valentine session next weekend and wanted to get more practice. I bought this huge heart pillow, which of course no one can see because emmy has her own ideas about posing, none of which match my ideas. (roll eyes here :D)

I also wonder, is anyone else on here having a winter slump? By that I mean in regards to jobs. I'm not doing this full-time and I also don't truly love doing studio sessions as I don't have the props or room like some do. I much prefer outside portraits. Not too many takers for that right now, so, am I the only one?

458303775_fjaBJ-L.jpg
457584085_rnYia-L.jpg
457583040_Qc7Yb-L.jpg
457582783_jHzEh-L.jpg
455105667_uJqQJ-L.jpg

Thanks for any feedback,

Julie

Comments

• WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    I like 1 and 3 ! very cute :D I don't know where all the customers are. I was insane before Christmas and now most of my business is newborns. I am trying to have a Valentines special to drum up some business but no luck so far. It's way to cold to get anybody outside. I have even resorted to asking people to pose for me free for my portfolio hoping to get some print sales. I don't rely on this as income but not having anything to take pictures of is driving me crazy!! I don't have any kids at home any more.....only the dog.....Good luck!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • jethibodjethibod Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Number 3 is great! I love the little hand holding her head up, and what great big eyes! So nice.

How did you light this?
    Jen

Live today like you'll wish you would have 10 years in the future. You only get one life; this is it...live it up. -
    Joy Nash
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    jethibod wrote:
    Number 3 is great! I love the little hand holding her head up, and what great big eyes! So nice.

How did you light this?

I have two studio lights and a hair light. I couldn't tell you what kind or model they are as I'm seriously not studio lighting saavy. I just play around with the positioning of them. ne_nau.gif

Thanks for the comment:D
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    I like 1 and 3 ! very cute :D I don't know where all the customers are. I was insane before Christmas and now most of my business is newborns. I am trying to have a Valentines special to drum up some business but no luck so far. It's way to cold to get anybody outside. I have even resorted to asking people to pose for me free for my portfolio hoping to get some print sales. I don't rely on this as income but not having anything to take pictures of is driving me crazy!! I don't have any kids at home any more.....only the dog.....Good luck!

I'm really ready for more of a variety of faces. I love my kids, don't get me wrong but we are all ready for mom to get back to shooting other people. rolleyes1.gif

I just posted some of these pics of my facebook with the comment for them to contact me for a mini valentine special.

Good luck on your special.
    :D
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    #3 is really good! Love it in B&W...definitely a framer!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    #3 is simply fantastic!
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    I have two studio lights and a hair light. I couldn't tell you what kind or model they are as I'm seriously not studio lighting saavy. I just play around with the positioning of them.

Savvy or not you do a fantastic job. Are you using umbrellas on these?

I like the attitude and lighting in #2
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    #1 & #3 my fav. I wonder what #1 would look like with the hearts tinted red?clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
    edited January 21, 2009
    Mike J wrote:
    Savvy or not you do a fantastic job. Are you using umbrellas on these?

I like the attitude and lighting in #2

Yes, I use two umbrellas. The light is bounced, not shoot through types. #2 though is natural light, no flash

Thanks for the comment. :D
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Julie,

1 and 3 are just great. Your daughter is very cute...how fortunate you are to have her as a model.

I like your #2 natural light, with the exception of the bright light behind her head. Have you tried to replace the bright area with the carpet using the clone tool. I think the carpet is bright enough to offer separation and would really make it a better photo.

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    I love #2 and 5 You have a beautiful model!

I love the eclectic feel to them, I don't understand enough about lighting to critic that, but I love your style...3 is probably technically very good, but it just doesn't speak to me the way 2 and 5 do. ne_nau.gif
  • neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    I like em all, what lenz and camera did u use?
    edited January 21, 2009
    neastguy wrote:
    I like em all, what lenz and camera did u use?

I used my d90 and my 50mm 1.4
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Well I just love #2. What a little sassafras... Love her spunky expression and pose so much.
  • neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I used my d90 and my 50mm 1.4

looks like a great lenz .. my wife tried using my 50mm 1.8 on my D40... no go.. manual focus... lol... might have to upgrade my body or sell the lenz....