Canvas Print Sizing

edknightedknight Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited February 3, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I've regular photo prints in a gallery and want to offer customers the option of ordering larger canvas prints. I'm picky about cropping. After lots of searching on Dgrin, I've not found an answer to my question.

If I order rolled canvas prints, how much larger is the print area than the specified print size and what white borders are left to stretch the canvas? I've found a page on sizing for mounted canvas orders, but nothing for rolled canvas.

For example, if I order a 24"x36" rolled canvas print, what is the size of the actual printed surface and what is the full size of the canvas?

20"x30"?

Thanks

Comments

• AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    edknight wrote:
    I've regular photo prints in a gallery and want to offer customers the option of ordering larger canvas prints. I'm picky about cropping. After lots of searching on Dgrin, I've not found an answer to my question.

If I order rolled canvas prints, how much larger is the print area than the specified print size and what white borders are left to stretch the canvas? I've found a page on sizing for mounted canvas orders, but nothing for rolled canvas.

For example, if I order a 24"x36" rolled canvas print, what is the size of the actual printed surface and what is the full size of the canvas?

20"x30"?

Thanks

Ack! Sorry I let this get away from me. I kept intending to reply but the way we handle rolled canvas is in the process of changing at the lab and I wanted to have some concrete information for you.

In one more week, all rolled canvas should follow these specs:

The print size will match the size ordered. A 16x24 rolled canvas will have a crop in the cart that is 2:3 and the final image will be 16x24 inches on the canvas. The extra white canvas around the outside varies a bit, but should be at least 3 inches on each side to accommodate lots of different framing options.

I will post here again in a week after I've tested the new specs myself. Sorry for the delay!

-Anne
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • edknightedknight Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Thanks, Ann. That's the info I need. Will await your testing and confirmation. I suspect this info will be of interest to lots of Smugmug folks, you may want to put this on a FAQ or a "rolled canvas" web page.