Carolena, part I: Lolita

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited January 22, 2009 in People
OK, I got a part of my Saturday shoot processed. We had several different looks (while perusing mostly my newly acquired high key setup), so I thought I made several posts.

I called this first series "Lolita". Carolena did a lot (and I mean *a lot*) of modeling as a teenager since she was 12. She's 19 now, but she still remembers the routines:-). Here are a few frames from this look.

#1: IMG_0006.jpg

458626363_EJHsT-XL.jpg

#2: IMG_0009.jpg

458626407_8YPph-XL.jpg

#3: IMG_0003.jpg

458626326_rcsUL-XL.jpg

#4: IMG_0053.jpg

458685736_hVDon-XL.jpg

#5: IMG_0056.jpg

458685825_LcxFk-XL.jpg

#6: IMG_0059.jpg

458685896_3rzzP-XL.jpg

#7: IMG_0083.jpg

458696364_CYkJY-XL.jpg

#8: IMG_0067.jpg

458696255_ycrut-XL.jpg

#9: IMG_0078.jpg

458696170_SxZ8o-XL.jpg

Enjoy! C&C welcome!

This post was made with the assistance of Star*Explorer
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    WOW! She looked like she was having a lot of fun!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    4 and 5 from this set are my favorite.

How many lights? looks like the left side wasnt blocked enoughne_nau.gif my current track record with my screen basically allows you to ignore me though.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    WOW! She looked like she was having a lot of fun!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    We both did, in fact! thumb.gif
    edited January 21, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    4 and 5 from this set are my favorite.
    hey, that's one more than the part two, so I'm a happy camper :D
    How many lights?
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=117807
    looks like the left side wasnt blocked enoughne_nau.gif my current track record with my screen basically allows you to ignore me though.
    Ditto:-)
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Great series, Nik - I like both batches with this lady thumb.gif

And what this series demonstrates (and many of your shoots have REALLY brought home to me because you are kind enough to include some outtakes when everybody's just standing there) is how a professional model COMPLETELY CHANGES in front of the camera. I don't mean makeup and styling (I know enough about those to see how and when they're responsible) but actually managing to change how they *physically* look and everything they project at the lens according to the direction they're given. Blows my mind. Which is weird, given that's what I do onstage as a performer, but I have music and text and all sorts of other stuff to generate the change; it's not just my actual, physical attributes which change. The idea of being able to do it exclusively with body lines and expression - and the photographer's direction and ability to "find the shot" to capture that (oh, I know how much of it is that, too!) - seriously blows my mind.

This one's in that category for sure when you compare and contrast the two looks you did, but one of the ladies on that beach shoot was the one that first made me REALLY notice this. the English brunette, I think it was - when I saw the outtakes I thought, 'She's a professional model? You're kiddding me." because she looked so... well... ORDINARY. Then you posted the real deal and it was like somebody had plugged her into an electric outlet and she was incandesscent - everything about her was different from her facial expressions, to the way she stood and used her body, to the image she projected, even to her HAIR.

I think we often don't realise how much *skill* is involved from both subject and photographer. clap.gif

Sorry - first cup of coffee... rambling!
    edited January 21, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Great series, Nik - I like both batches with this lady thumb.gif

And what this series demonstrates (and many of your shoots have REALLY brought home to me because you are kind enough to include some outtakes when everybody's just standing there) is how a professional model COMPLETELY CHANGES in front of the camera. I don't mean makeup and styling (I know enough about those to see how and when they're responsible) but actually managing to change how they *physically* look and everything they project at the lens according to the direction they're given. Blows my mind. Which is weird, given that's what I do onstage as a performer, but I have music and text and all sorts of other stuff to generate the change; it's not just my actual, physical attributes which change. The idea of being able to do it exclusively with body lines and expression - and the photographer's direction and ability to "find the shot" to capture that (oh, I know how much of it is that, too!) - seriously blows my mind.

This one's in that category for sure when you compare and contrast the two looks you did, but one of the ladies on that beach shoot was the one that first made me REALLY notice this. the English brunette, I think it was - when I saw the outtakes I thought, 'She's a professional model? You're kiddding me." because she looked so... well... ORDINARY. Then you posted the real deal and it was like somebody had plugged her into an electric outlet and she was incandesscent - everything about her was different from her facial expressions, to the way she stood and used her body, to the image she projected, even to her HAIR.

I think we often don't realise how much *skill* is involved from both subject and photographer. clap.gif

Sorry - first cup of coffee... rambling!

Thank you, great comment!
    I agree, it is that versatility is what makes me long for each new shoot and what I'm trying to find and bring to the open in my subjects. Carolena has been a great example of such versatility indeed. She was perfectly capable of following precise directions (when I pretty much "place" each limb in place), loose directions ("turn the body to your left, head up and to your right") and bringing up her own poses.
    Funny note: while I did realize that she's versatile right off the bat, the real understanding only dawned upon me when I started to look the the plunder on the big screen. She totally looked 12..14 in the first batch and then started to go her own age in the next one.. And once we elevated the makeup and went for a cocktail dress... Man... mwink.gif OK, that part is still in the works, but hopefully will be done tonight... rolleyes1.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    nice shots..#4 rocks my socks off.:whew
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited January 21, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    nice shots..#4 rocks my socks off.:whew
    Mine, too. IMHO, that was "the" Lolita look deal.gifmwink.gif
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Hi Nik

These are very good. Not crazy about the 'running shoes' but like everything else a lot.

I have a naive question tho - and that is the definition of high key. Here, the setting is high key, but the subject contrasts with that.
    My understanding of high key is that everything would be bright - for e.g model in white or not clothed and brightly lit.
    ne_nau.gif
    edited January 22, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Nik

These are very good. Not crazy about the 'running shoes' but like everything else a lot.

I have a naive question tho - and that is the definition of high key. Here, the setting is high key, but the subject contrasts with that.
    My understanding of high key is that everything would be bright - for e.g model in white or not clothed and brightly lit.
    ne_nau.gif
    mwink.gif
    Ann, I wasn't going for the "white on white" scenario. I was primarily interested in the lighting setup, not in what she was wearing (well, sort of:-). In fact, I liked the contrast :-)
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Number 4 is a fantastic image, great expression, sexy pose, A++
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
    edited January 22, 2009
    JimM wrote:
    Number 4 is a fantastic image, great expression, sexy pose, A++
    Yay, I got "A"! wings.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Thanks, man! thumb.gif