Western Tools - #2

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited January 23, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
As always C&C welcome

Edited to add:

Guys/gals,

I just calibrated my monitor & would like to know specifically what you can and can't see in this picture.

I can see the full pistol grip (it is rounded at the bottom, not squared off like a normal Colt) & even the wooden barrel (that its sitting on) to the left of the pistol grip.

Can you see these things?

Is your monitor calibrated?

I appologize for this request, but how else would I know if others can see what I'm intending them to see? Just trying to figure this calibrated monitor out.

Thanks

459326067_s9E5r-L.jpg
Randy

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Very nice photo!!! IMO maybe just a hair more lighting on the keys.clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Very nice Randy
    Looks like bird's head grips but can't be sure as the shadow obscures it a bit. Maybe just a tad more light on them would be nice. Who's the manufacturer and are these OEM grips or custom?

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Very nice photo!!! IMO maybe just a hair more lighting on the keys.clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks clemens,

This low res/high compression image wiped out the delicate highlights that are present in the full resolution image. This includes the keys & pistol grip end.

I've tried to replicate what an original scene would have looked like lit by only one light source, as I've done here. In western times, photogs didn't have fancy reflectors or multi-light setups.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. Hope I didn't give you TMI rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited January 21, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Very nice Randy
    Looks like bird's head grips but can't be sure as the shadow obscures it a bit. Maybe just a tad more light on them would be nice. Who's the manufacturer and are these OEM grips or custom?

Hey Jack,

As I stated to clemens, this low res/high compression image wiped out some of the delicate highlights, including the faint end of the grip.

But, to answer your question:

Uberti 1873 CATTLEMAN BIRD’S HEAD - 45 Colt

These were the grips that came with them (my wife's guns, she has a pair of them), but I see they don't offer the checkered grips anymore.

All our cowboy guns have had action jobs. Very sweet! I own 4 Uberti western guns and I am very impressed with their quality and perfection to the originals.

Thanks for looking thumb.gif
    Randy
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Howdy Randy,

Beautiful shot, love all the shadows and textures,

very nicely done!!!

That's neat about the Uberti's, I didn't know about them, but have been
    reading up. Do ya'll shoot in Competitions or at any of the Western Challenges?
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    outstanding. bowdown.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • cappicappi Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    I think it's awsome. Well done!!!clap.gif
    edited January 21, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Randy,

Beautiful shot, love all the shadows and textures,

very nicely done!!!

That's neat about the Uberti's, I didn't know about them, but have been
    reading up. Do ya'll shoot in Competitions or at any of the Western Challenges?

Craig, thanks for the comments about the pic.

My wife & I used to shoot CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) events, but my tinnitus got bad enough I had to give it up. :cry There are two of the largest CAS groups in TX located just south of you, outside Glen Rose. You should go watch a shoot, very unique!

Here is a listing from the SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) page.

Although I don't see the ones in Glen Rose listed here.

Here's one, and this is what their claim is..."The Second Largest Cowboy Action Shooting Club in the World"

Comanche Valley Vigilantes - We used to shoot with them.
    Randy
    edited January 21, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    outstanding. bowdown.gif

Thanks Qarik
    Randy
    edited January 21, 2009
    cappi wrote:
    I think it's awsome. Well done!!!clap.gif

Appreciate that cappi
    Randy
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    That is a really well composed and well presented picture..... Is that a Double Eagle I see behind the watch???????:D thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif azzaro

ps Are those 1873 bullets jacketed.........JUST KIDDING!!!!!rolleyes1.gif
    edited January 21, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    That is a really well composed and well presented picture..... Is that a Double Eagle I see behind the watch???????:D thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif azzaro

ps Are those 1873 bullets jacketed.........JUST KIDDING!!!!!rolleyes1.gif

That coin is an 1880 Silver Dollar that I had gold plated to use as my watch fob.

Those are in fact lead bullets, and for more than one reason, you wouldn't want to be chewing on them rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for your comments and the laugh thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited January 21, 2009
    Guys/gals,

I just calibrated my monitor & would like to know specifically what you can and can't see in this picture.

I can see the full pistol grip & even the wooden barrel (that its sitting on) to the left of the pistol grip.

Can you see these things?

Is your monitor calibrated?

I appologize for this request, but how else would I know if others can see what I'm intending them to see? Just trying to figure this calibrated monitor out.

Thanks

459326067_s9E5r-L.jpg
    Randy
    edited January 21, 2009
    I'm not calibrated, but I can see everything that you described.... azzaro
    edited January 21, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    I'm not calibrated, but I can see everything that you described.... azzaro

Thanks azzaro,

Its been plenty tough trying to create images that show how I want them to look, without a calibrated monitor. A lot of my images have areas that just border going into complete shadows/blocked, and its going to be nice to know where that actually is thumb.gif

Anybody else...
    Randy
    edited January 21, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Thanks azzaro,

Its been plenty tough trying to create images that show how I want them to look, without a calibrated monitor. A lot of my images have areas that just border going into complete shadows/blocked, and its going to be nice to know where that actually is thumb.gif

Anybody else...[/quote

What software did you use to calibrate your monitor??? I was always going to do that and haven't.... azzaro
    edited January 21, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    rwells wrote:
    Thanks azzaro,

Anybody else...[/quote

What software did you use to calibrate your monitor??? I was always going to do that and haven't.... azzaro

Pantone Huey Pro --

First one I got had issues. (tinted everything green) I emailed Pantone about it & they sent a new unit out the next day. Great customer service thumb.gif

This one seems fine...
    Randy
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Hi Randy,

My monitor is calibrated. I don't see the whole grip and the barrel to the immediate left of the grip butt is almost totally black. Good work, by the way.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited January 21, 2009
    Hi Randy,

My monitor is calibrated. I don't see the whole grip and the barrel to the immediate left of the grip butt is almost totally black. Good work, by the way.

Tom

Hey Tom,

I'm not sure if you know this, but this pistols grip is rounded at the bottom, not squared off like you would expect an old Colt to be. Looking at this picture, the left bottom of the grip is not physically there, it's rounded. If you can see the wooden barrel, albeit slightly, to the left of the grip, I would think that the complete grip should be visible.

Not arguing, just making sure were talking about exactly the same thing on the pic. - I'm certainly trying to get a handle on this (no pun intended)

I have now calibrated 2 monitors, and both look the same on this end.

If calibrated monitors show differently, how do we deal with that?

I appreciate your kind words, & taking the time for the monitor feedback thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Calibrated monitor and I can see the full grip and the side of the barrel above/past the top of the grip.

Great shot thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
    edited January 21, 2009
    Shootin1st wrote:
    Calibrated monitor and I can see the full grip and the side of the barrel above/past the top of the grip.

Great shot thumb.gif

Thanks for taking time to look and reply. I appreciate it.
    Randy
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Thanks for taking time to look and reply. I appreciate it.
    I can see all of the gun, and there appears to be something behind the keys at the top. I can't make that out, though.
    edited January 21, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    I can see all of the gun, and there appears to be something behind the keys at the top. I can't make that out, though.

Thanks David,

That which you see behind the keys would be sloppy burning, I'll take care of that...

I appreciate your looking closely and posting so that I can feel a little more secure about what others see when I post pics. thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Yup that's much better Randy. I can see the grip completely now. Looks like they've been well used as some of the checkering at the back seems to be worn down.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Randy...

Copnsidering your explanation about the shape of the grip, I would say I do see the entire grip. It is certainly, however, not the usual shape I was expecting. I clearly see the top ring of the barrel at the left of the top of the pistol grip and I also see some faint detail of the side of the barrel to the left of the grip. I would say that we are indeed looking at the
    same rendering of the scene.

Was this shape grip a common application on this type pistol? Was there a particular reason it was shaped in this fashion?

Let's see more, I'm enjoying your images.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I seea greast image! thumb.gif

I also see the Colt with it's rounded butt, five bullets, two keys, a coin and a pocketwatch sitting on a barrel. I see detail in the staves of the barrel to just beyond the second ring. I also see your watermark. In other words, I see everything very well. clap.gif

Non-calibrated monitor.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited January 22, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Yup that's much better Randy. I can see the grip completely now. Looks like they've been well used as some of the checkering at the back seems to be worn down.

Thanks Jack,

Looks like were seeing the same thing. I appreciate your coming back to verify it.
    Randy
    edited January 22, 2009
    Randy...

Copnsidering your explanation about the shape of the grip, I would say I do see the entire grip. It is certainly, however, not the usual shape I was expecting. I clearly see the top ring of the barrel at the left of the top of the pistol grip and I also see some faint detail of the side of the barrel to the left of the grip. I would say that we are indeed looking at the
    same rendering of the scene.

Was this shape grip a common application on this type pistol? Was there a particular reason it was shaped in this fashion?

Let's see more, I'm enjoying your images.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks so much for returning and taking the time to look at the picture again and posting exactly what you can see on your monitor. It helps a lot.

This is what was called a Birdshead grip and was fairly common, although not like the original Colt 1873 grip. If your interested, you can go to Uberti's website. They have a really cool video section that gives a short history of all the guns they replicate. Very well done. BTW, Billy the Kid was very familiar with this style grip.

Thanks for the kind words about my images.

I apologize for the watermarks, and also the smaller sized/low resolution images, but I am marketing these images also. Trying to strike a balance between showing the images & some form of protection.
    Randy
    edited January 22, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    I seea greast image! thumb.gif

I also see the Colt with it's rounded butt, five bullets, two keys, a coin and a pocketwatch sitting on a barrel. I see detail in the staves of the barrel to just beyond the second ring. I also see your watermark. In other words, I see everything very well. clap.gif

Non-calibrated monitor.

Lee,

I thank you for your kind words & very deceptive rundown of the visible aspects of this image. Sounds like your monitor is in pretty good shape too thumb.gif
    Randy
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Lee,

I thank you for your kind words & very deceptive rundown of the visible aspects of this image. Sounds like your monitor is in pretty good shape too thumb.gif

It better be! It's a new LCD! :D
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather