Do you always shoot with the lens hood?

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited January 23, 2009 in Cameras
I see the value in shooting with a hood in bright sunlight where flare might be an issue but what about in the studio or indoors? I typpically shoot with out one and was wondering what others do.
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 21, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    I see the value in shooting with a hood in bright sunlight where flare might be an issue but what about in the studio or indoors? I typpically shoot with out one and was wondering what others do.
    I almost always use them indoors or out. Aside from blocking extraneous light sources, the hood also protects the lens. There's really little reason not to use them, unless you're concerned about the increased conspicuity for street shooting.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 21, 2009
    I almost always use both a protective filter and a lens hood during sessions. It's surprising how "any" stray light can cause a decrease in contrast. A lens hood should really be considered part of the optical system of the lens.

In strong backlight I will sometimes take off the filter, depending on the particular lens and how it tests in that situation and the purpose of the photograph.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    I allways use hood..Exept when you are looking for them supernice starflares in direct sunlight ;)
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I almost always use both a protective filter and a lens hood during sessions.

15524779-Ti.gif It is certainly cheaper to replace either of these than the lens.
    Steve

Website
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    +1 on Kdog and Ziggy
    The hood interferes with nothing, usually helps and in case of of a stupid accident can save you a grand or two (or at least a few Benjamins in case of repairs)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    I'll second everything here. The only exception is that with my ultrawide (10-22mm canon) the hood is giant and fairly ineffective, making it more trouble to bring than it's worth (my hand held over the camera does a better job) and I only bring it when I've got lots of space.

With that exception I'm all hood, all the time.
    edited January 21, 2009
    I did forget the one time I usually don't use a hood; macro and extremely close-focus is often difficult with the lens hood attached. The hood can complicate lighting the subject as well as maneuvering in tight places.

As luck would have it I just today got a used Tamron 90mm, f2.8 SP Macro and was testing it, which reminded me.
    ziggy53
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Like Ziggy, always a hood except for macro. Indoors I often shoot with flash both on and off camera so its a must.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
    edited January 21, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I did forget the one time I usually don't use a hood; macro and extremely close-focus is often difficult with the lens hood attached. The hood can complicate lighting the subject as well as maneuvering in tight places.
    Good point! thumb.gif
    Hmm, idée de nouveau: macro and extreme close-up model shoot...eek7.gif (don't I have a one-track brain? mwink.gif :-)
  • sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    I was just wondering this myself, so thanks for asking and thank you everyone for answering.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    why, of course! I'm a good boy! :ivar ..and I don't do macro (yet!).
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • k2c1959k2c1959 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    I almost always use them indoors or out. Aside from blocking extraneous light sources, the hood also protects the lens. There's really little reason not to use them, unless you're concerned about the increased conspicuity for street shooting.

i agree, plus i like the hoods on my big guns such as 100-400L mwink.gif i love the look on people faces when they see the added 5 inches of hood and how giant that monster is when extended to 400mm..lol..:D
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away......

" I wasn't born in Oklahoma, but I got here as fast as I could! "

http://k2c-ridge.smugmug.com/
    Member NAPP
    edited January 22, 2009
    k2c1959 wrote:
    i agree, plus i like the hoods on my big guns such as 100-400L mwink.gif i love the look on people faces when they see the added 5 inches of hood and how giant that monster is when extended to 400mm..lol..:D
    We talking lens-hood, or man-hood? rolleyes1.gif
    edited January 22, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    We talking lens-hood, or man-hood? rolleyes1.gif
    You can never have too much of either..;-) mwink.gif

8808059_UVqyS-L.jpg
  • k2c1959k2c1959 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    We talking lens-hood, or man-hood? rolleyes1.gif[/quote

:stud :lol4 Laughing.gif]
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away......

" I wasn't born in Oklahoma, but I got here as fast as I could! "

http://k2c-ridge.smugmug.com/
    Member NAPP
  • spericsperic Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

As luck would have it I just today got a used Tamron 90mm, f2.8 SP Macro and was testing it, which reminded me.

i was gonna say the same thing as for when I don't use a hood. I have this lens and the hood sticks out quite a bit, which makes it difficult to get "close" sometimes.

another reason why i always use a hood, is the one time i decided not to use it because I thought, I'm indoors, family event, blah-blah-blah, i took it off because i didn't want to carry it around and forgot it on the table at the reception place and lost it.:(:
    edited January 22, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    You can never have too much of either..;-) mwink.gif

8808059_UVqyS-L.jpg

....but it looks like it's gender specific!?!mwink.gifthumb.gifDrolleyes1.gif

• rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Tamron 90mm SP Macro
    ziggy53 wrote:

Congrats on your new macro lens. The 90mm f/2.8 Tamron SP Macro is a jewel. I have one and love it. The Di model is SUPPOSED to be optimized for digital but, my SP non-Di model provides IQ equal to my "L" lenses. IMO, a used Tammy like this can be the absolute best value on the used market.

However, this is the ONLY lens on which I don't use a hood either. The front element is recesed far enough into the barrel that the barrel acts like a hood.
    edited January 23, 2009
    rpcrowe wrote:
    Congrats on your new macro lens. The 90mm f/2.8 Tamron SP Macro is a jewel. I have one and love it. The Di model is SUPPOSED to be optimized for digital but, my SP non-Di model provides IQ equal to my "L" lenses. IMO, a used Tammy like this can be the absolute best value on the used market.

However, this is the ONLY lens on which I don't use a hood either. The front element is recesed far enough into the barrel that the barrel acts like a hood.

Thanks. My early testing of the lens shows this to be a good copy.

I agree that the recessed front element provides some value as a hood and I believe that is by design, something Tamron deserves kudos for. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Only time without a hood is extreme wide angle where vignetteing will occur....
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    The only time when I don't use hoods is for street photography, and only because the lens appears smaller that way. Otherwise the hood is always mounted as a protection from bumps and straylight.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited January 23, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    Only time without a hood is extreme wide angle where vignetteing will occur....

Point! thumb.gif

• BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Yes...I always use a hood, and my hoods show this use, due to their use...my lenses show less use.
    edited January 23, 2009
    Blurmore wrote:
    Yes...I always use a hood, and my hoods show this use, due to their use...my lenses show less use.

Indeed. I tripped and took a face-plant at Arches NP during the Dgrin shootout holding my 40D and 100-400mm on it. The lens hood got a nice scuff on it that otherwise would have been on the lens itself. Whew.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Always
    It looks great........
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Ok I will be the odd ball.
    I never use them. They are a pain.
    Several years and many THOUSANDS of pictures and have never damaged a lens that would have been saved by a lens hood and can count the number of images ruined by not using one on one hand.
    edited January 23, 2009
    zoomer wrote:
    I never use them.
    count the number of images ruined by not using one on one hand.

Ruined is an extreme case. How about simply degraded? Like Ziggy says:
    ziggy53 wrote:
    It's surprising how "any" stray light can cause a decrease in contrast. A lens hood should really be considered part of the optical system of the lens.
    Can you honestly and unequivocally say that many of your images would not be improved by using a hood? Kinda hard to say since you never use them. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel