Options

RAW file processing in nikon

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited February 4, 2009 in Finishing School
Someone said something to me that didn't sound quite right. They said if you edit your raw files from a nikon camera using the nikon capture tools, you will retain more data and even have greater resolution (number of pixels) then if you import to say PS.

I scratched my head and nodded but kinda doubted him in the back of my mind. I figure RAW files are standard format and that's that. But I don;t use the nikon capture tools.

Is there any truth to this?
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Same number of pixels with Nikon or any other RAW editor. Sometimes RAW editors treat edge pixels slightly differently so they could vary by a couple pixels, but not meaningfully.

The main settings difference between Nikon and others is that the Nikon RAW editor will read your camera settings from the Nikon RAW file and apply those in-camera settings to your RAW data when you view it in Capture NX. Because those settings are not documented, no other RAW editors read those settings except for white balance (which they all read).

Some people find this an advantage of the Nikon editor, but it doesn't matter to me because I shoot RAW so I don't have to fuss with all these in-camera settings to get what I want. I set them they way I want when I'm doing the RAW processing.

In summary, Nikon gets no more data and no more resolution out of the RAW files. They do get some in-camera settings like curves, contrast, etc... which others don't.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    MalindiMalindi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Same number of pixels with Nikon or any other RAW editor. Sometimes RAW editors treat edge pixels slightly differently so they could vary by a couple pixels, but not meaningfully.

The main settings difference between Nikon and others is that the Nikon RAW editor will read your camera settings from the Nikon RAW file and apply those in-camera settings to your RAW data when you view it in Capture NX. Because those settings are not documented, no other RAW editors read those settings except for white balance (which they all read).

Some people find this an advantage of the Nikon editor, but it doesn't matter to me because I shoot RAW so I don't have to fuss with all these in-camera settings to get what I want. I set them they way I want when I'm doing the RAW processing.

In summary, Nikon gets no more data and no more resolution out of the RAW files. They do get some in-camera settings like curves, contrast, etc... which others don't.

Many thanks ... This is one of those rare moments where you browse before you ask and actually find an answer. I had the question: Why does Nikon ViewNX show pics the way I wanted them rendered with in-camera settings and Lightroom doesn't? Now I know..

The next quest will be to figure out how to use the Nikon download software to distribute the files into folders by year/date... and that way I can add my copyright into the file without having to import it into LightRoom and essentially have TWO copy of the same RAW NEF image.
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Maybe this helps - it's what helped me make the jump to shooting only RAW and using LR2 for all my processing

http://www.onethirdstop.com/

This guy spent ages working on LR2 defaults that replicate, more or less, the Capture NX look.

Obviously this is not a 1:1 reproduction for reasons mentioned by the last poster but I found that in 95% or more of the cases it was better and more accurate than the JPG out of the camera.

YMMV

Good luck :)

Cheers, Jase
    Malindi wrote:
    Many thanks ... This is one of those rare moments where you browse before you ask and actually find an answer. I had the question: Why does Nikon ViewNX show pics the way I wanted them rendered with in-camera settings and Lightroom doesn't? Now I know..

The next quest will be to figure out how to use the Nikon download software to distribute the files into folders by year/date... and that way I can add my copyright into the file without having to import it into LightRoom and essentially have TWO copy of the same RAW NEF image.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2009
    jasonstone wrote:
    Maybe this helps - it's what helped me make the jump to shooting only RAW and using LR2 for all my processing

http://www.onethirdstop.com/

This guy spent ages working on LR2 defaults that replicate, more or less, the Capture NX look.

Obviously this is not a 1:1 reproduction for reasons mentioned by the last poster but I found that in 95% or more of the cases it was better and more accurate than the JPG out of the camera.

YMMV

Good luck :)

Cheers, Jase

His website seems out for the moment.
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Malindi wrote:
    His website seems out for the moment.

Don't know ne_nau.gif I just tried it then and it worked...
    Maybe try again?
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2009
    jasonstone wrote:
    Don't know ne_nau.gif I just tried it then and it worked...
    Maybe try again?

thumb.gif works now, thanks!
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2009
    jfriend wrote:

I just installed Irfanview and the plug-in pack as well .... seems the camera settings come accross just fine ...clap.gif

The pics look identical between Nikon ViewNX and Irfanview. And it's fast. wings.gif
  • Options
    jaswebpicsjaswebpics Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    Each program interprets the raw data differently based on someone's decision on the proportion of red to green to blue data to mix in to make 'correct' colour.

This Adobe document is a must read:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/pdfs/understanding_digitalrawcapture.pdf
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2009
    jaswebpics wrote:
    Each program interprets the raw data differently based on someone's decision on the proportion of red to green to blue data to mix in to make 'correct' colour.

This Adobe document is a must read:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/pdfs/understanding_digitalrawcapture.pdf

Thanks for that. Good read.