Carolena, part III: Party Girl

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited January 23, 2009 in People
Same girl. Same place. Same lighting. Different dress. Elevated makeup. Different girl... :wink

#1: IMG_0153.jpg

459437995_hNbaZ-XL.jpg

#2: IMG_0163.jpg

459441691_ifgUZ-XL.jpg

#3: IMG_0169.jpg

459443632_XUKS7-XL.jpg

#4: IMG_0201.jpg

459447897_bZVZA-XL.jpg

#5: IMG_0204.jpg

459450909_hDA6y-XL.jpg

#6: IMG_0210.jpg

459462081_et9p2-XL.jpg

#7: IMG_0238.jpg

459467604_KYjAW-XL.jpg

#8: IMG_0245.jpg

459468730_Rgrgc-XL.jpg

#9: IMG_0250.jpg

459469788_HfLdL-XL.jpg

Enjoy! C&C welcome!

This post was made with the assistance of Star*Explorer
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Ok, so obviously I'm not a boy and thus am simply not going to have the same reaction to a pretty girl in a skimpy dress but... to me the "Bond girl" series are way sexier and more provocative, and just a more attractive series of this model.

Photographically these are great pics, Nik - the lighting is super, the HK looks to be a success (in so far as my novice eye can judge lighting yet - getting there, but still in the learning phases, as you know!). But the posing in this one just doesn't work for me - I find the contortions in 2, 3 and 6 kinda disturbing actually (the last two in particular, because her ribcage is so pronounced when she extends like that because she's so very slender)

That said, I like 1 and 9, and #7 would be PERFECT except that I find myself drawn to how her feet are rolling out instead of in thus breaking the line of her leg at the ankles (my guess is she needed either to put more weight on the inside of her foot and into the heel or just turned her toes out a little more to keep that visual straightline) - normally that kind of thing would be totally unimportant, but when her body line is such a focus of the shot, a tiny detail like that jumps out at me. Her feet are doing something funky in #5 as well which gives the impression of her being slightly pigeon-toed. Again, in "normal" life (or even a less "under the microscope" kind of picture) this kind of absurd tiny detail doesn't matter a tuppeny damn, but when the body line is exagggerated by the high contrast of the styling for this shoot... it jumps out at me.

Sorry not to rave about this batch as much as the others in the series (which I really enjoyed), I just don't find them quite as appealing even though the photographic technique in them looks great to my eye. Take it all with large grain of salt - you know the old adage about opinions and bellybuttons... :D
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I agree with the above on both the lighting and the rib cage extruding shots. I am a guy, so a pretty girl in a short black dress is fantastic to me!

Specifically on:

2) It is a unique angle, but not overly flattering.

1) I love the pose

4) I don't like seeing her underwear, would rather lengthen the dress a tiny bit and leave the image more to the imagination, like number 5, which is fantastic!!!

Anyway, fantastic series!!!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Ok, so obviously I'm not a boy and thus am simply not going to have the same reaction to a pretty girl in a skimpy dress but... to me the "Bond girl" series are way sexier and more provocative, and just a more attractive series of this model.

Photographically these are great pics, Nik - the lighting is super, the HK looks to be a success (in so far as my novice eye can judge lighting yet - getting there, but still in the learning phases, as you know!). But the posing in this one just doesn't work for me - I find the contortions in 2, 3 and 6 kinda disturbing actually (the last two in particular, because her ribcage is so pronounced when she extends like that because she's so very slender)

That said, I like 1 and 9, and #7 would be PERFECT except that I find myself drawn to how her feet are rolling out instead of in thus breaking the line of her leg at the ankles (my guess is she needed either to put more weight on the inside of her foot and into the heel or just turned her toes out a little more to keep that visual straightline) - normally that kind of thing would be totally unimportant, but when her body line is such a focus of the shot, a tiny detail like that jumps out at me. Her feet are doing something funky in #5 as well which gives the impression of her being slightly pigeon-toed. Again, in "normal" life (or even a less "under the microscope" kind of picture) this kind of absurd tiny detail doesn't matter a tuppeny damn, but when the body line is exagggerated by the high contrast of the styling for this shoot... it jumps out at me.

Sorry not to rave about this batch as much as the others in the series (which I really enjoyed), I just don't find them quite as appealing even though the photographic technique in them looks great to my eye. Take it all with large grain of salt - you know the old adage about opinions and bellybuttons... :D
    Thank you again for your time and the detailed critique! thumb.gif
    Much appreciated! bowdown.gif
    edited January 22, 2009
    JimM wrote:
    I agree with the above on both the lighting and the rib cage extruding shots. I am a guy, so a pretty girl in a short black dress is fantastic to me!

Specifically on:

2) It is a unique angle, but not overly flattering.

1) I love the pose

4) I don't like seeing her underwear, would rather lengthen the dress a tiny bit and leave the image more to the imagination, like number 5, which is fantastic!!!

Anyway, fantastic series!!!
    Heyya Jim, wazzup:-)! :D
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Always good to hear some C&C! thumb.gif
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Heyya Jim, wazzup:-)! :D
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Always good to hear some C&C! thumb.gif

Always great to see your work. I have been busy, I know.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Nikolai-

I admit I was a bit waiting for more shots of this setup, and I think it was worth it! Good job!

Comments per request:
    #1: I like this one for the nice angles and interesting way to emphasize her structure. Ah hem. I thought if anything, her head being back so much added a line from her Adam's apple area that's not perfect. Not sure how to correct that without loosing some of the nice effect on the rest of her that light provides. Maybe if the head weren't back quite so far? (Not sure how that would affect the overall image, though, might not be worth it.)

#2 is interesting, but a little disconcerting too. Was this a long enough lens? (I'm struggling a bit with how large her head seems. This could be because I'm not used to seeing people in this pose... mwink.gif)

#3: others already said most of what I'd say, but I'd add this wasn't the best pose for her face for a "typical" model.

#4: I like this shot, but were the lights any different for this one than the others? The hairlight (prob got the wrong names here) on her back almost blends her back into the background too much. Same for the bright side of the forehead. Also, Mitte's comment on the panties was on, I think.

#5: is interesting, but I swear that dress is shorter than some of my daughter's T-shirts! (and she's 6!) Even a hair lower seems like it might work better for my point of view (not necessarily yours, of course!)

#6: nice because it shows off how thin she really is and adds a bit to it with the hairlights (what I called 'em before, wrongly or not). But what's up with the lump in the front of her dress at her thigh?

#8: (skipping one) I'm not big on this pose for her legs, it actually kinda makes even her thighs look a little big! (God help me if I had to pose like that, I know. Ya'll'd be more than a little scared. I think her thighs are as big around as my biceps.)

#9: Nicely done. You get more of an emphasis on her makeup with this one than some of the others. (which I'm not as much of a fan of as I thought I was.)

By far, I liked #1 the best. Very nice shot. I think I can get past any concerns about that lighting on her neck. :D And I keep coming back to the thumbnail on her left hand; that added a little something nice to the shot as well.
    Yeah, I'd probably have yet more commentary if/when I spent/d more time looking at it.clap.gif

Thanks again for posting!

(BTW Mitte: you gonna be at the next meeting?)
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
    edited January 23, 2009
    NateW wrote:
    Nikolai-

I admit I was a bit waiting for more shots of this setup, and I think it was worth it! Good job!

Comments per request:
    Thanks again for posting!
    Thank you very much, Nate! I do appreciate your detailed critique! thumb.gifbowdown.gif