Look Into My Eyes

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited January 25, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
IMG_4673.jpg

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Cooool picture! What a great expression!

Great pic but a couple of things caught my eye: 1) consider cloning out the tiny white debris under the leftside eye, 2) recover some of the highlight on the nose, and 3) crop out some of the right side to eliminate the gap in the upper right corner.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    This is beautiful!!!

On my monitor the left side is really bright white... and along the left side of her nose. and yes, the speck under her left eye can be cloned?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 22, 2009
    Thanks Tony and Eia! Your comments are of course valid and good. The lighting was extremely harsh, and this particular frame was overexposed. I think I pushed the recovery as far as I can go. I rationalize the exposure in my mind by thinking that the severe lighting adds drama to the shot, in an almost high-key sort of way. Wishful thinking I suppose. Just try to go a day without a rationalization. :D

The speck under the eye, well of course it can be cloned out. I chose to leave it in because it's a truer representation of the beast at that moment. But now you guys are making me reconsider. headscratch.gif

Glad you liked the shot.

-joel
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Looks like you weren't really holding a camera...more like a dinner bell eek7.gif

Yes, the pic has a couple of minor nits, but what a great "rare, if ever" opportunity to shoot a fine example of nature. Those kind of shots are usually (for me) fast and furious, & your not really giving the camera all the normal (make sure ISO is good, AF One-Shot...naw AIServo, etc.) tender care you normally would.

All that being said, I think this is a very nice photo thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited January 22, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Looks like you weren't really holding a camera...more like a dinner bell eek7.gif

Yes, the pic has a couple of minor nits, but what a great "rare, if ever" opportunity to shoot a fine example of nature. Those kind of shots are usually (for me) fast and furious, & your not really giving the camera all the normal (make sure ISO is good, AF One-Shot...naw AIServo, etc.) tender care you normally would.

All that being said, I think this is a very nice photo thumb.gif
    Hey Randy, thanks a bunch. I feel a little better now.

If we had Nikolai along on this one, we might have been able to set up some lighting. rolleyes1.gif But barring that, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. deal.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Hi KDOG.....That is a great picture of my most favorite critter.... IMO, the shot at the moment, out weighs the technical difficulties of shooting in bright sun light.. thumb.gifthumb azzaro
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Awesome! What a fortunate opportunity for you.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the minor nits. The face and eyes so captured my attention I didn't even notice them (other than the eye detritus). The coyotes and coy dogs in these parts are so wary they'd be hi-tailing it into the next county by the time you got the lens cap off.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    wow, now thats some shooting!

your 100mm - 400 IS?
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 23, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi KDOG.....That is a great picture of my most favorite critter.... IMO, the shot at the moment, out weighs the technical difficulties of shooting in bright sun light.. thumb.gifthumb azzaro

Thanks Azzaro, it's one of my most favorite critters as well. thumb.gif

-joel
    edited January 23, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Awesome! What a fortunate opportunity for you.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the minor nits. The face and eyes so captured my attention I didn't even notice them (other than the eye detritus). The coyotes and coy dogs in these parts are so wary they'd be hi-tailing it into the next county by the time you got the lens cap off.

Thanks, Jack. The animals in national parks tend to pick up bad habits like this. I have plenty of them in my neighborhood, but can never get near them either.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited January 23, 2009
    wow, now thats some shooting!

your 100mm - 400 IS?

Thank you, sir! Yup, this was with my favorite lens, the 100-400.

-joel
    edited January 23, 2009
    Reprocessed!!
    I started over with completely different processing. Please let me know what you think.

IMG_9614_neutral_high3_2_1__8.jpg

Thanks!
    -joel
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Oh this is a tough call joel. I put each in a separate window on my monitor and kept walking around the room glancing at them. There are areas where each is better than the other. For example:
    1. The eyes in #1 are much brighter possibly due in part to the sockets being a blacker black, but the gold/yellow is brighter as well. In #2 the eyes are dull and don't grab me.

2. The area above and between the eyes is better in #2... more detail

3. The area below camera left eye above his whiskers has some multicolored speckles that are more obvious (and detracting) in #2

4. The roundish area on his snout (camera left) is disturbing in #2. It does not seem to go with the rest of his coloring (seems too dark, too tan). In #1 even though the left side of the snout is a bit overexposed, the basic color seems the same as that area on the other side of his snout.

5. The nose is better in #2 in that you've recovered some detail in the shadow and bright spot.

6. The whole area below (from neck to chest) is better in # 2 ... more detail

The bottom line is this. When I look at #1 I am immediately drawn to his eyes and then his mouth. When I look at #2 I am immediatelt drawn to the big brown spot on his snout.

Just my $.02 others may not see it this way.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Hi KDOG......... I think that the first one is the best of the two. I would remove the white speck under the right eye. Jacks comment about the brown hair on the side of the nose is the same thing I thought when I first looked at the picture...... I really like the first one.....Whats wrong with high key?????

azzaro
    edited January 23, 2009
    Hey Jack and Azzaro -- THANK-YOU!!! I really appreciate the feedback. clap.gif

When you stare at these things long enough, you start to lose all objectivity. That bright spot on the snout is troubling in #2 for sure. I was hoping it was just me, but I guess not. Not only the are the eyes better in #1, but the teeth are whiter too. Even the tongue seemed to have better saturation.

In case you're wondering, #2 is actually a series of three different exposure tiffs which I exported from ACR at 1 stop increments, and then merged and tonemapped in Photomatix. (Yes, I know that defies the laws of physics, but laws are made to be broken.) Those multi-colored pixels in the blown-out area on the snout gave me fits. I actually had to mask around that area so it wouldn't be sharpened, because that made it much worse.

Well, it was a valiant effort. :giggle Number 1 it is.

Like Azzaro says, "what's wrong with High Key?".

Thanks again, guys!
    -joel
    edited January 23, 2009
    i prefer that last posted image.

and i dont mind the bright spot at all.

just my .1 cent
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 23, 2009
    i prefer that last posted image.

and i dont mind the bright spot at all.

just my .1 cent
    Well, my wife strongly preferred the second one as well, so you're in good company. thumb.gif

Sorry Jack and Azzaro. #2 it is!! rolleyes1.gif

Of course, the great thing about digital, is that you can keep 'em both. :D

Thanks, Aaron.

-joel
    edited January 23, 2009
    :hide
    Aaron Nelson
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    I started over with completely different processing. Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks!
    -joel
    thumb.gifthumb
    edited January 24, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    thumb.gifthumb
    Cool! #2 advances solidly into the lead! clap.gif

Thanks, David!!!

(Psst, Aaron Nelson can come out of hiding now. :giggle)

-joel
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    I love the second one!!!clap.gif
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    Howdy Joel,

What a stunning image, I love the closeness of the details, the look in the eyes, really a very nice capture.

I also like the other image presented, each has a different feel to them, but both very pleasing to the eye.

Very nicely done.

Kindest Regards,

Craig
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited January 24, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    I love the second one!!!clap.gif

Thank you, Eia!!! thumb.gif

-jeol
    edited January 24, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Joel,

What a stunning image, I love the closeness of the details, the look in the eyes, really a very nice capture.

I also like the other image presented, each has a different feel to them, but both very pleasing to the eye.

Very nicely done.

Kindest Regards,

Craig

Thanks so much, Craig! I can live with that. wings.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    I like 'em both also. Why don't you do a collage in PS, with the second one behind and faded and transformed in some way (larger, diff angle, etc).

Better yet, hang 'em both--a color shot and a sepia shot of each and make a nice quad display.

OK, I'm just thinking out loud and probably not helping. I just think they are both superb shots!

Lauren

PS: where and how did you shoot these?
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    Both are nice, but prefer #2.

thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
    edited January 25, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    I like 'em both also. Why don't you do a collage in PS, with the second one behind and faded and transformed in some way (larger, diff angle, etc).

Better yet, hang 'em both--a color shot and a sepia shot of each and make a nice quad display.

OK, I'm just thinking out loud and probably not helping. I just think they are both superb shots!

Lauren

PS: where and how did you shoot these?
    Thanks so much, Lauren! Actually, a collage isn't a bad idea. I've got a few more of this beast I could use on it.

Story and more pictures here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=117986

Thanks again and regards,
    -joel
    edited January 25, 2009
    Shootin1st wrote:
    Both are nice, but prefer #2.

thumb.gif

Excellent. Thank you, Shooin1st!! thumb.gif

-joel