Large Family Shoot help

AspectArtsAspectArts Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited January 22, 2009 in People
I am set to do a family reunion shoot this weekend. There are 31 of them, the parents, 6 grown kids, spouses, grandkids... ranging in age from 18 months up. We will be shooting (hopefully) outdoors in the snow. Any pose recommendations? Feel free to post pics of anything similar that you've done. This will be my biggest family portrait session to date.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Lisa
Lisa

my site: www.aspectartsphoto.com
my gear: nikon D700, 70-200 mm 2.8, 24-70 mm 2.8, 50 mm 1.4, SB600, AB800

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I'd recommend to find some slope to place them on or use a highly elevated fnatage point for yourself (tall ladder, 2d floor balcony, etc.). Arrange them in 4 rows with approximately 8 people in a row. You can also try 5x6 pattern but that could be tricky.
    You would need a rather large DOF, so you'd have to step down to at least f/8 or maybe even higher. Which means you'd need a lot of light which speread even wetween all the subjects. Also try to shoot from a larger distance (a long lens and a tripod may be a must) to avoid the front row being twice as large as the back one.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'd recommend to find some slope to place them on or use a highly elevated fnatage point for yourself (tall ladder, 2d floor balcony, etc.). Arrange them in 4 rows with approximately 8 people in a row. You can also try 5x6 pattern but that could be tricky.
    You would need a rather large DOF, so you'd have to step down to at least f/8 or maybe even higher. Which means you'd need a lot of light which speread even wetween all the subjects. Also try to shoot from a larger distance (a long lens and a tripod may be a must) to avoid the front row being twice as large as the back one.
    HTH

I agree with Nikolai.......with the rows of people try not to do perfectly straight lines......do vees of inverted vees....something to add a little flair.......I have had to shoot several awards gatherings for a large computer company that I had to be on theroof of the company with 300 reciepents below....the publisher would up doing a split and puting it across the top of 2 pages.....2 in a row and then "we" (me and the "art director" got smarter and stated shooting smaller groups and let the paste up people do their magic).............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• AspectArtsAspectArts Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I am visualizing separating them just a bit by family, mom and dad in the middle, and family groupings on either side, just enough that there isn't one big mass of people. Also, I'm thinking of a couple chairs, or stools, or people squatting to break up the lines. I don't want lines... lol. Does that sound feasible?
    Lisa

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Stairs, Rocks
    Yes, you definitely don't want them to think grade school photos....

I like using stairs when they're available and you definitely want to be up on a stepladder as well as shoot from straight on but down low. Vary the height of people into groupings where the heads are groups that are V shaped, N shaped and C shapes as well as S curved. They all make for nice groupings.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Great question, can't wait for the answers to keep coming. I have a request for exactly this kind of shoot for this summer (woohoo, people giving me notice!).

My experience for soccer teams, two rows of 8 - 10 is that f8 is not enough DOF. So once you talk about 3 or 4 rows, I think you'd want f10 or higher even. ne_nau.gif

ann
    edited January 22, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    My experience for soccer teams, two rows of 8 - 10 is that f8 is not enough DOF. So once you talk about 3 or 4 rows, I think you'd want f10 or higher even. ne_nau.gif

ann
    It all depends on the distance. That's why I suggested long tele and shooting from far:-)
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I stacked my last big group on a haywagon and a tractor as they owned a farm. If you are going to be outside in the snow do you can you make big snowballs to stack them or do you have a hillside area?. Stairs are always a good idea as was mentioned. maybe in front of a historical building in your area? Here is an example of the last big shoot I did. Photographically it is a horrible picture but you can get an idea of what I did with so many people. Good luck. Post some when you are done!
    391465839_xSTAW-M-2.jpg
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • AspectArtsAspectArts Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    It all depends on the distance. That's why I suggested long tele and shooting from far:-)

I really appreciate that suggestion! I will have the room to back up and use my 70-200, so I am definitely going to do that. Thanks for the tip!
    Lisa

edited January 22, 2009
    AspectArts wrote:
    I really appreciate that suggestion! I will have the room to back up and use my 70-200, so I am definitely going to do that. Thanks for the tip!
    Sure! Use the www.DOFmaster.com and precalculate what f-stop and what distance you could use, then you'd know how compact your group needs to be.