459802939_swsSt-L.jpg

459778462_rCUDr-L.jpg

459935584_vz54E-L.jpg

168984487_B7aB2-L.jpg
Randy

Comments

• picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Ooh I like these, 1 and 3 being my favorite!!
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    ha ha! These are great! I love #2 & #3 is just too funny!

Glad to see you! You really look like a fun character!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    It's the Deadwood Self Portrait series :D

Love these - they're fabu, sir! thumb.gif
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I like #1 the best. 3 and 4 looks like a guy that's never held a gun before that is holding a gun so someone can take a picture of him holding a gun. If that gun were fired...black eye.

I do like the idea of the gun, but maybe held where it is supposed to be held, farther from the face, with two hands.

#1 shows EXCELLENT lighting, great angle, great detail, emotion and over all really sets a mood.
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Really nice! I love them all :D

-- Lisa P.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    These are great! Number one is the absolute best. Very well done. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • BlinkingsBlinkings Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I got a shock when I looked at the photo with the gun! Awesome job mate.
    All the best,
    Andrew
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Some great shots...and I noticed that the revolver does also appear to be unloaded....nice and safe :)thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Haha, very cool. Love them but please don't shoot me parner!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Ooh I like these, 1 and 3 being my favorite!!

Thanks Angie
    ha ha! These are great! I love #2 & #3 is just too funny!

Glad to see you! You really look like a fun character!

Hey, if you can't have fun...what's the point :D

Thanks Heather
    divamum wrote:
    It's the Deadwood Self Portrait series :D

Love these - they're fabu, sir! thumb.gif

Well, I do love the old western stuff. Thanks for looking
    I like #1 the best. 3 and 4 looks like a guy that's never held a gun before that is holding a gun so someone can take a picture of him holding a gun. If that gun were fired...black eye.

I do like the idea of the gun, but maybe held where it is supposed to be held, farther from the face, with two hands.

#1 shows EXCELLENT lighting, great angle, great detail, emotion and over all really sets a mood.

Oh, come on now headscratch.gif

I've been shooting guns since I was 4 years old, and I've been shooting pictures since age 7. I'm pretty sure I know what to do with both rolleyes1.gif

Ever hear of depth of field, lighting, etc... It's just a picture -- lighten up!

Thanks for looking and posting thumb.gif
    lisap wrote:
    Really nice! I love them all :D

-- Lisa P.

Thank you Lisa P
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    These are great! Number one is the absolute best. Very well done. thumb.gif

Thanks Lee,

I shot the first one this afternoon just messin' around with a 580EX & 10% spot grid.
    Blinkings wrote:
    I got a shock when I looked at the photo with the gun! Awesome job mate.

Thanks Andrew. As you can tell, I don't really like "normal" shots rolleyes1.gif
    RBrogen wrote:
    Some great shots...and I noticed that the revolver does also appear to be unloaded....nice and safe :)thumb.gifthumb.gif

I've been handling guns a long, long time. No excuse for carelessness thumb.gif

Thanks for looking Randy
    Haha, very cool. Love them but please don't shoot me parner!

Not even with a camera? rolleyes1.gif

Thanks
    Randy
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Oh, come on now headscratch.gif

I've been shooting guns since I was 4 years old, and I've been shooting pictures since age 7. I'm pretty sure I know what to do with both rolleyes1.gif

Ever hear of depth of field, lighting, etc... It's just a picture -- lighten up!

Thanks for looking and posting thumb.gif

Haha, sorry. I figured you had been, just looks un-natural in the photo. The photos them selves are great, just wasn't sure about the positioning of the gun. Yes I've heard of DOF and the rest. In # 3 you can tell by the hand and shoulder that it's not a DOF issue, the gun is actually right by your face. #4 still looks close, but you can definitely tell that the gun is farther away by the angle of your hand. I don't doubt you have gun shooting experience, I mean your from Texas, I'm just saying it doesn't look natural in the photos.

Other than that issue (for me only apparently) the photos are great though. I've been thinking about doing something similar myself, but I don't have a pistol, I've always shot rifles my life, 30-06, .308, .270, 30-30 and the best one ever, .22.
    edited January 22, 2009
    Haha, sorry. I figured you had been, just looks un-natural in the photo. The photos them selves are great, just wasn't sure about the positioning of the gun. Yes I've heard of DOF and the rest. In # 3 you can tell by the hand and shoulder that it's not a DOF issue, the gun is actually right by your face. #4 still looks close, but you can definitely tell that the gun is farther away by the angle of your hand. I don't doubt you have gun shooting experience, I mean your from Texas, I'm just saying it doesn't look natural in the photos.

Other than that issue (for me only apparently) the photos are great though. I've been thinking about doing something similar myself, but I don't have a pistol, I've always shot rifles my life, 30-06, .308, .270, 30-30 and the best one ever, .22.

Hey, no problems here thumb.gif

At a close camera shooting distance, it just doesn't work to have your arm stretched out 3' from the face/body. You can't get that "I'm takin' aim on ya" look with the gun further from the eye. It's all about what you want the picture to relay. In this case, it was that look instead of a "correct" shooting hold/position.

Thanks for posting.
    Randy
  • NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Glad to see the hat isn't just for the avatar!clap.gif
    (says the guy who pretty much always wear a similar hat, even in lower Michigan where I'm the only one for states around doing it...)
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
    edited January 22, 2009
    NateW wrote:
    Glad to see the hat isn't just for the avatar!clap.gif
    (says the guy who pretty much always wear a similar hat, even in lower Michigan where I'm the only one for states around doing it...)

Howdy Nate,

You can tell how much a person wears their hat by looking at where the top of the ears hit the hat. If the hat is worn much, the felt will be worn shiny where the ears rub the hat. Cowboy rein-actors are sure to have this looked at by judges in competitions, it's a sign of authenticity for the times.

Felt on the hat that is...felt on ears is a whole different type person rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    edited January 22, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Howdy Nate,

You can tell how much a person wears their hat by looking at where the top of the ears hit the hat. If the hat is worn much, the felt will be worn shiny where the ears rub the hat. Cowboy rein-actors are sure to have this looked at by judges in competitions, it's a sign of authenticity for the times.

Felt on the hat that is...felt on ears is a whole different type person rolleyes1.gif
    Hmmm... I must be wearing mine like a noob! (I've got about an inch of space between ears and brim) I've only been wearing a hat for about 8 months, and there's really not many people around here to learn "proper" from, so I wear in my own style, I guess. S'ok, even if it was "proper," it'd still have to be my own style because no one else around here is up to it.:D It was nice to visit Texas where I could not get quite as many stares...rolleyes1.gif

Hey, on to photography, (which I know, is almost a breach of etiquette!) did you do something to your teeth on #3? the right side teeth seem almost like you lightened em up, but missed the fade in to the gums. (My father in-law might get this too, but his would be "natural" because he had all his teeth removed a couple of years ago!)
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
    edited January 22, 2009
    ... and the best one ever, .22.
    Ah, there's my (other) thing. Small bore bench rest target shooting.
    25 yards. (sometimes 50)
    bulls eye is 0.1" across.
    0.22" diameter bullet.
    25 bulls eyes. (USBR targets: the Green Meanies)

246-7x with a 10-22T (semi-auto for those who don't know, but still care. OK, that's a pretty small group. Oh well. 7x means completely obliterating the bulls eye 7 times.)
    And yes, the 4 points lost were from my relatively cheap ammo shooting two fliers.

I need more money for glass! (to clad my 17HMR as a 100 yard USBR gun!) (Oh yeah, and 'cuz I want better/more glass for my camera, too.:ivar)
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com

• theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Please...
    :hide don't shoot!

Randy, the negative effect looks great!
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    Like the intensity of the lighting/expression in #1. Was the lighting a single strobe camera right slightly above your head?
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
    edited January 24, 2009
    theNOIZ wrote:
    :hide don't shoot!

Randy, the negative effect looks great!

It's kind of different.

Thanks for posting Shaun
    Randy
    edited January 24, 2009
    Mike J wrote:
    Like the intensity of the lighting/expression in #1. Was the lighting a single strobe camera right slightly above your head?

Exactly...well almost.

It was a 580EX with a 10% grid in front of it for a tight spot. Since I don't presently (will soon) own the Honl grids for speedlights, I took my Lightsphere and placed foil around the inside, making it like a monolight reflector, then put my 10% grid(for a monolight) in front, held with a rubber band.

SP's are hard enough due to the focus, but that little spot beam had to be just right.
    Randy
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    I love em...great stuff.....whoohoo!thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited January 24, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    I love em...great stuff.....whoohoo!thumb.gif

Thanks Dave,

Great avatar thumb.gif Love those glasses
    Randy