PLEASE help me decide!! I'm upgrading..

mycapturesmycaptures Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited January 25, 2009 in Cameras
..and I seriously cannot decide to go with Canon 50D or Nikon D90 or even Canon 40D. I've tested all of them. Over and over. At first I wanted the D90, then I decided I just couldn't give up the L series lenses (I don't have any, but just the idea of not getting them). Then I tested the D90 again and I really liked it. I wish I could walk around with it, but don't want to spend the money renting it. Then I thought, well I'll get the Canon 40D so I can have more to spend on the glass. But then I went and tested the cameras again and was leaning towards the Nikon AGAIN.

My brain hurts. I've researched, read a lot and still can't decide. Please give me your opinions based on what you use/have used. Sample photos would be awesome.

Thank you!

Save me from myself.
Shilowe, getting my masters in psychology,
photographing mommy to Rayne (5) and Quinlan (baby boy) and wife to Dave.:photo

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I'd get the 40D or the D80 and spend the money you save on some great lenses.
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I'll make it easy. Buy this 50D :D

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=116471

Dont' really know anything about the Nikon, but I've been extremely happy with the 50D and L glass.

To see photos with it, TASnyder.com It was used on the Work Party, John & Sheila's 50th, Christmas 2008 and the Grand Canyon.
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    sample photos? huh? that is going to do you no good, pull yourself together!
    i can show you great photos from my camera, and i can show even better photos from the same camera if i handed it to someone with more experiance than i for a moment or two....... see what im getting too?

also, dont think the "L" lens is king....its not.

no matter the name brand, you will get what you pay for!

in general, take a 24mm $2000 lens, it will give you a $2000 lens quality image. a 24mm $600 lens will give you a $600 lens quality image... forget the term "L" and think in $$$

its a matter of what quality is to you....

pickup a camera, dont look at it.....

feel it, find the controls..... what works with your mindset?
    what control layout makes sense?

what can you imagine holding up to your eye over and over for three hours?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    If you got the money, go 50D and glass. If you don't, go 40D and glass. I've played around with a few Nikons and REALLY don't like their user interface. Don't get me wrong, they are a great camera with great lenses, I just can't stand the interface. I don't like zooming the lens backwards either.

Think about what you will be using the camera for and what lenses you will need. See if Nikon or Canon has a better line up for what you will need. If they are equal, then play with both camera and see which one has a better feel for you.

The 50D is a great camera, the new LCD is AMAZING, haven't been impressed with the ISO performance, I'm sure the 40D is a little better there because it has less MP, the 50D also takes up A LOT more space on CF cards. I have been very pleased with the 40D and the 50D. I personally upgraded when the 50D came out and am glad I did.

Honestly, spend the money renting them, walk around and play with each. I don't know about the place you rent from, but the local place I do has a policy that if you rent something and decide to buy it within so many days you get that money that you rented with towards the purchase of the new lens (or body if the case may be).

I hope this helps.

Oh, and go 50D plus L glass... :-D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 23, 2009
    Mycaptures,

The cameras you mentioned testing are all great cameras to be sure. Whatever you get is probably much less important than how you use it. I fear that if you are spending this much energy on this purchase you may second guess the purchase as well.

Imagine instead what you could be doing with a camera in your hands. When you have achieved a state of knowing that "you" make more of a difference than the camera, you can be happy just shooting and capturing images.

Think about it:

You get to chose the subject matter and location, not the camera.
    You get to chose the lighting and composition, not the camera.
    You get to chose a lens.
    You get to chose a processing method and display method.

Most of photography is about the individual. Most of successful photography is also about the individual making choices that are appropriate to the success of the image.

Make a camera choice based on the real criteria that matters most to you. Forget the fluff and show. What matters should be about your needs, not your wants.

What is it you really need?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    mycaptures wrote:

Save me from myself.

Any IQ differences among any of the current 8-15mp "crop" sensor cameras are minute. Therefore pick one, any one, based on how it feels to you, how you like the interface, features (video, inbody IS, lens MA etc...) and of course the lenses.

As for lenses don't base your choice on what lenses are available but on what lenses you can or think you can afford. Sure L lenses are nice but once you get beyond the 70-200/2.8 things jump to $4000.

Don't be afraid to look at Olympus, Pentax or Sony as they all have their own set of features.

Gene
  • wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    It sounds to me like you've already decided on the D90. I'm a Canon guy, and I adore my 50D; I highly recommend it.

OTOH, Nikon is making phenomenal cameras right now. Personally, if I didn't have so much invested in Canon lenses and was starting over right now, I'd look at the D90, D300, the 50D, and the 5D2. I'd probably narrow that list to the D300 and the 50D. I'd then try them both out, and buy the one that felt better to me.

I've been shooting Canon since the mid-80s, so the Canon layout is completely natural to me.

All advice given above is good. Ziggy's advice is especially good.

My philosophy on camera bodies is much the same as my advice on choosing a computer (I'm an IT guy): buy as much as you can afford, after considering what you will use it for. It may or may not have a useful life beyond three years; get all the features you need. Replace it when it's time.

Lenses can last a lifetime; bodies should last years, depending on use, abuse, and whether they have the features you need.

When the time is right, make that choice. Don't regret it. Learn the body; use it; enjoy it.

One last thing: it's the photographer that takes the picture, not the camera.
  • jaseonejaseone Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    To the OP, you have answered your own question, the D90 feels better in your hands so that is what you should be going by as you are going to be holding it a lot! I see too many first Digital SLR purchased being way too over analyzed, the cameras you are considering are all very capable cameras so go with the one that feels best in your hands!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    If you keep leaning back to the D90 then I would just get that. I have it and I love it. I suppose I would love the 50D if I had that too though heh.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    I think you really want the nikon D90. I think you should get it. I love my nikon D300, and have no regrets with getting Nikon over Canon. But that is me and you are you.

If I were in your shoes because you are asking, I would get the D90. I think it is an amazing camera and 3 of my friends are shooting with it. I love the quality of the pics. You wont regret it.

But again, its your money and your choice, I can only suggest what I like!! Nikon lenses are excellent, so dont let the glass be your factor. Get the body that you like then go from there.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    L isn't the end all be all of lenses. Unless you like that red ring and stare-at-me white lenses.

I can't speak of Nikon or the other guys, but why not get a 40D or a 30D and some great lenses, e.g., 17-55 f/2,8 IS. 30/40D and the 17-55 is a KILLER COMBINATION. And note that the 17-55 isn't an L. You can get a good used 30D for about $500, give or take.

You can't go wrong with any of the ones that you have stated, but even camera bodies of yore (two years or so old) are still very capable cameras.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 23, 2009
    ... even camera bodies of yore (two years or so old) ...

I'm sorry but that brought a smile ...
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • moggi1964moggi1964 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Are you really ignoring an Olympus E3 with 12-60 SWD and FL50R flash for $1900 from B&H?

At your peril my friend, at your peril :crazy wings.gif
    Morris

Olympus E420 with 14-42 and 50-200SWD.
  • banjopetebanjopete Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    moggi1964 wrote:
    Are you really ignoring an Olympus E3 with 12-60 SWD and FL50R flash for $1900 from B&H?

At your peril my friend, at your peril :crazy wings.gif

There just aren't enough lenses out there to tempt me in that direction at the moment. The big two have thousands of old lenses kicking around waiting for someone to make a deal on. I like buying used, you get the better deal, some scratches, and save $$$.