Options

Error 99, many times yesterday

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited May 20, 2005 in Cameras
I was shooting birds with a 300 prime lens, one I have used constantly since February. This was yesterday. I use a 1.4 extender with it.

I had about 10 errror 99s, a bit much, I think. Then I added a 2Xs extender, stacked with the first one.

I got my shots, but with many error codes.

Since I had seen it mentioned here, and common with 20Ds, well, I don't know what to think.

ginger

using all Canon stuff, a 20D camera
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    How did you clear the error? Did you turn off the camera, pull the battery, reinsert and turn the camera back on?

Is it only happening with the one lens?
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I was shooting birds with a 300 prime lens, one I have used constantly since February. This was yesterday. I use a 1.4 extender with it.

I had about 10 errror 99s, a bit much, I think. Then I added a 2Xs extender, stacked with the first one.

I got my shots, but with many error codes.

Since I had seen it mentioned here, and common with 20Ds, well, I don't know what to think.

ginger

using all Canon stuff, a 20D camera
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Thanks, Shay.

Yes, that is how I cleared it. Once, just for kicks, I tried fixing it just by the off and on thing, did not pull the battery. It was OK then, too, for awhile.

I think it has happened with my "other" lens, too. The 17-40L Canon, but nothing like yesterday. Then again, I did use 4 gbs of cards. And I chimped, if I know what chimping is, correctly (I checked and deleted to make space for more). So it was kind of heavy use in about 4 hrs, maybe 3.

That is normal for me, though. And I do use this lens the most.

It has happened in the past, as I have said, like once every couple of weeks. I chalked it up to shooting too many bursts, or whatever I had done just before the error code. I just thought something had overloaded the camera a bit.

When I read, and responded to, the other post on error codes, I was concerned, but thought that was just superstition.

Yesterday, knock on wood, pray alot, when the camera was not in error "mode", it worked fine...............and I sure hate to say that. I am nothing if not superstitious. I got mine from B&H, that does not concern me. Not too much, I guess. I just would like this to be a smooth ride with this camera.

But if I have, or will have, a problem, I would rather have it while I still have a warranty.

ginger (It happened a lot, not my imagination at all, a surprise. I was thinking about shooting, not about errors, even in between.)

Now I don't know what to think. (I tend to anthropomorphize cameras, I wonder if it was reacting to the underexposure I was putting it through to get the egrets properly exposed)

Thanks for responding.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.