Some Hockey Shots

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited January 23, 2009 in Sports
Here's a couple of shots from a recent high school hockey game I went to. C&C welcome.

449338456_H8VTw-L.jpg

454796994_fL8xZ-L.jpg

454797130_tUkz6-L.jpg

454797741_RjYze-L.jpg

454797325_z4JP8-L.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Randy,

The motion blur is not really making for good action shots.

I do like 1 and 5.

try to get your shutter speed up higher 1/640-1/800 for hockey.

You are using Canon, you should be able to shoot at 1/2000 iso or slightly higher. open your lens, to it's largest aperture( dof, and light). shutter at 1/800 if you can get there. bump up ISO as the variable of the 3 exposure settings.
    try wb setting of between 3700-4000k and see if you like anything.
    Follow the puck, action, faces, puck, this is what you need. Other players. shots on goal, players crashing the boards. You need action.

keep shooting.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    Here's a couple of shots from a recent high school hockey game I went to. C&C welcome.
    If I remember correctly, these are your first attempt at hockey photos.

The good -- WB + brightness. thumb.gif Most people can't even do this when they shoot hockey.

What to work on: exposure + composition. In general, your shutter speeds are too slow to stop action. And for starters, you want the all the following elements in sports image -- face, contact, puck, action. The other mantra -- shoot tight, crop tighter.

For this one, shutter speed is way too slow; the player in black is a complete blur and don't forget about your horizons.
    RBrogen wrote:
    454797130_tUkz6-Th.jpg
    The slower shutter speeds works here, but that's because the goalie and skater are not moving. If the goalie was attempting save, then it would be a completely different story and the skater is in a non-moving position for a face-off.
    RBrogen wrote:
    449338456_H8VTw-Th.jpg

454797741_RjYze-Th.jpg

This has acceptable motion blur (can argue that it shows speed), but the person is in the wrong direction. Face. Face. Face. For captures of skaters, it really helps to move to the corners and away from the bench area. After all, the skaters will not be shooting at the bench.
    RBrogen wrote:
    454797325_z4JP8-Th.jpg
    Overall, well done for your first try! :D