Feature Request: Search by camera type

klettkeklettke Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited May 24, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I would love to be able to search within the exif info for a specific camera type. A method similar to how Pbase does it would be great. This would be very helpful when comparing the capabilities of different cameras.

Thanks!

Scott
http://scottklettke.smugmug.com

Comments

• ByamByam Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    I would like this feature also.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Byam wrote:
    I would love to be able to search within the exif info for a specific camera type. A method similar to how Pbase does it would be great. This would be very helpful when comparing the capabilities of different cameras.

Thanks!
    And the Pbase "search-by-camera" tool isn't good enough, because...?

Although I have no problem with using Pbase as a camera / lens encyclopedia, I suppose having a smugmug one would be cool too. However, I think Pbase's search-by-camera (or lens) tool will always be much better than smugmug's could be if we started one, because Pbase is such an older site and they have an incredible collection of photos from cameras made by the likes of Hasselblad and so many other film cameras that we just won't see users taking the time to type out all the exif for.

That said, on the internet there is a general lack of digital camera / lens test images that are full resolution. I see countless "tests" and "reviews" of lenses and all they ever post is an 800 pixel image; when they say "wow look how sharp it is!" I think they should be shot. Of course there are those who are considerate enough to post a tiny little piece of a 100% crop, but this in my opinion still isn't the full assurance someone is looking for when browsing images that a prospective lens / body is putting out.

Now having said THAT, I suppose I'd like to see a better collective collection of full-resolution test shots, that would be sweet. Of course smugmug could do something along these lines by adding a "search only for "O" files", but of course you still wouldn't be able to weed out the 800 pixel "O" files, unless you put a "3000+ pixel files only" button too.

If smugmug could make this, with the specific image size options for the sake of those who are looking for full res test/example shots, I'd say go for it!
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • klettkeklettke Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    I agree. The Pbase search is great. But Smugmug could jump right in and start its own camera database of mostly newer cameras. It wouldn't be a replacement to Pbase's database but a supplement powered by Smugmug's organization and style. How hard could it be if the exif info is already right there?
    And the Pbase "search-by-camera" tool isn't good enough, because...?

Although I have no problem with using Pbase as a camera / lens encyclopedia, I suppose having a smugmug one would be cool too. However, I think Pbase's search-by-camera (or lens) tool will always be much better than smugmug's could be if we started one, because Pbase is such an older site and they have an incredible collection of photos from cameras made by the likes of Hasselblad and so many other film cameras that we just won't see users taking the time to type out all the exif for.

That said, on the internet there is a general lack of digital camera / lens test images that are full resolution. I see countless "tests" and "reviews" of lenses and all they ever post is an 800 pixel image; when they say "wow look how sharp it is!" I think they should be shot. Of course there are those who are considerate enough to post a tiny little piece of a 100% crop, but this in my opinion still isn't the full assurance someone is looking for when browsing images that a prospective lens / body is putting out.

Now having said THAT, I suppose I'd like to see a better collective collection of full-resolution test shots, that would be sweet. Of course smugmug could do something along these lines by adding a "search only for "O" files", but of course you still wouldn't be able to weed out the 800 pixel "O" files, unless you put a "3000+ pixel files only" button too.

If smugmug could make this, with the specific image size options for the sake of those who are looking for full res test/example shots, I'd say go for it!
  • Richard SRichard S Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2005
    The impression I get (based on which threads Don chooses to get into
    and which ones he leaves alone) is that he knows EXIF handling could
    be better, but it's not high on his list right now.

If you've ever tried to write your own EXIF parsing code (as I have
    for the Canon D-SLR's), you know it's a huge pain to capture all the
    quirks from all the different camera manufacturers. From a business
    perspective you could hire someone full-time to work on that one task
    alone.

I am optimistic that Smugmug will eventually equal and then surpass
    Pbase in terms of offering cool ways to dig into the EXIF data. On
    the other hand I'm not holding my breath either.
  • heinz eheinz e Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 24, 2006
    Richard S wrote:
    If you've ever tried to write your own EXIF parsing code (as I have
    for the Canon D-SLR's), you know it's a huge pain to capture all the
    quirks from all the different camera manufacturers. From a business
    perspective you could hire someone full-time to work on that one task
    alone.

I am optimistic that Smugmug will eventually equal and then surpass
    Pbase in terms of offering cool ways to dig into the EXIF data. On
    the other hand I'm not holding my breath either.
    Is there a way to add an EXIF to a jpg-photo which does not have
    an EXIF and then fill in an arbitrary (film) camera make and camera
    model?

My guess is no. I suppose that make and model are numbers/codes/
    indexes into make/model "tables". Is that true?

I was trying to find a way to label jpg-photos that originates from
    negatives and slides so that the info will be shown in for example
    smugmug.

I tried to find out yesterday by Google and by searching this forum
    but with no clear answer.