Options

Yosemite winter question

tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
edited January 30, 2009 in Location, Location, Location!
Hi,
We may be planning to go to Yosemite next weekend on a rental car,
since we are coming from Bay area, can anyone update on status of roads?
The Yosemite national park website says the road is open, however some roads may require chains.
Since we do not have snow chains, can somebody suggest a route where we will not require any chains?

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited January 23, 2009
    If you're going in a rental, ask for chains. Regardless of the route, travel in the Sierra may require chains at any time and even if you are not required to use them, you may be required to prove you have them (Park Rangers do the chain control and will often ask to see them)

That said, if you enter the park through El Portal, Hwy 140, you'll be at the lowest elevation. However, 120 and 41 are also options if the weather is clear. If you are not able to stay in the park, Oakhurst has a variety of places you can stay--it's about 40 miles to the valley floor and will take you past Wawona which is a pretty cool place.

Have a great time!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2009
    We are renting from dollar.com at airport, is there any chance they rent out chains. Any pointers to rental agencies which give chains with vehicle?
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2009
    I don't know. Give them a call--they should be able to hook you up (no pun intended :D).
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2009
    apparently they don't.
    Currently I have a chain which is 16" for honda civic. So I suppose that should fit most compacts like chevy cobalt and all.
    In case we get a jeep liberty with mud and snow tires 4WD, that should be okay without chains.
    Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2009
    4WD or AWD will be a great benefit. If you are required to chain up (and 4WD doesn't preclude you from having to use chains!), you will want to put them on the front wheels.

I doubt you will need them--me, I'd just chuck the ones you have in the car and hope all you need to do is show them :D
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2009
    Okay, we got the chains.
    Now comes the route.
    The shortest is the Big Oat flat road(highway 120)
    I am told its closed west of crane flat.
    So does it mean we can enter the park and go onto Yosemite village on this road.
    As per snow chains, if its not snowing(which according to weather forecast it won't) I presume we won't really have to put chains on the tires, correct.

I have done quite a bit of snow and ice driving, but with chains will be my first time.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2009
    Bump bump... Somebody with Yosemite knowledge can you please anwser my question.
    From the maps it appears we will head down towards the valley before crane flat if we come via highway 120, so all should be open...?
    Some hints please!
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2009
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Bump bump... Somebody with Yosemite knowledge can you please anwser my question.
    From the maps it appears we will head down towards the valley before crane flat if we come via highway 120, so all should be open...?
    Some hints please!

Try looking at the CalTrans web site. You can find it here. That will be the most up to date. Or, call the park.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2009
    Thats what I looked at, park says its open to go into Yosemite village. I looked up crane flats on map, it actually comes when you go towards Tioga pass.
    BTW, I am told the meadows near curry village will be full of snow.. Is it true. I am hoping to catch some snow this time!
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2009
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Thats what I looked at, park says its open to go into Yosemite village. I looked up crane flats on map, it actually comes when you go towards Tioga pass.
    BTW, I am told the meadows near curry village will be full of snow.. Is it true. I am hoping to catch some snow this time!

Web Cam