Tokina 11-16mm

Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
edited January 25, 2009 in Cameras
I'm thinking of this for my next lens. I currently have a Nikon D-40 with the 18-200 VR. I'm interested in going wider. Anybody have this lens? Any comments or suggestions?

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    I don't think it will AF on the D40 b/c it uses the screw AF motor on the body which the D40 I don' think has.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 24, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    I don't think it will AF on the D40 b/c it uses the screw AF motor on the body which the D40 I don' think has.

Correct, the Nikon D40, D40x and D60 lack the AF screw drive. The best bet for those cameras in a third party wide zoom lens (IMO) is the Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM. This lens has a built-in AF motor similar to Nikkor AF-S lenses.

A genuine Nikon lens to do the job might be the Nikkor 12-24mm, f/4G AF-S DX IF-ED.

The Tokina you mentioned will fit but you would use manual focus technique.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    Thanks, I will look at the sigma as well.
  • dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    +1 for the Sigma 10-20 if you want really wide, it's great (AFAIK there isn't anything wider for Nikon [without going to circular fisheyes which are a different beast]). However at least when they first came out there were reports of some QA issues (sometimes one side of the frame would be noticeably softer than the other), so if you're buying from a store try the actual lens you're going to buy to make sure it's a good one. Mind you, I bought mine online without testing and it was fine.
  • wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    I got the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 for my 50D recently and absolutely love it; it's become one of my favorite lenses.