Street Shot

TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
edited January 26, 2009 in Street and Documentary
I shot this a week or two ago right in front of my office. I titled this one "Unclear". Please let me know what the title and the photo tells you. I had a specific idea in mind and want to know if I executed it correctly.

Thanks for looking.

456243510_YoC4E-L.jpg
Frank Martinez
Nikon Shooter
It's all about the moment...

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    me a pet?! I beg your pardon, my ancestors were wolves!! mwink.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    That's hillarious! The funny thing about this shot was the entire time I was trying to frame it just right, the lady was looking at me like, "What the hell is this prick doing next to the no pet allowed sign and pointing the camera at me and my dog?" LoL. I'll probably get sued if the lady sees this shot. Tribecca is very posh posh, and people are offended easily. I parked my car on the street next to an M6 and the owner came out of the restaurant he was in to 'supervise' my parking and make sure I didn't touch his car. Hahahaha!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    That's hillarious! The funny thing about this shot was the entire time I was trying to frame it just right, the lady was looking at me like, "What the hell is this prick doing next to the no pet allowed sign and pointing the camera at me and my dog?" LoL. I'll probably get sued if the lady sees this shot. Tribecca is very posh posh, and people are offended easily. I parked my car on the street next to an M6 and the owner came out of the restaurant he was in to 'supervise' my parking and make sure I didn't touch his car. Hahahaha!

hey if you could catch some of that "ambiance" on camera that'd be cool :D
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    It looks to me like the person in the upper right corner of the frame has a dog. I'm guessing that person is unclear on the concept of "No Pets Allowed".ne_nau.gif
    edited January 24, 2009
    It looks to me like the person in the upper right corner of the frame has a dog. I'm guessing that person is unclear on the concept of "No Pets Allowed".ne_nau.gif

That's the exact idea I was trying to portray. But the reason why I was unsure if I would get my point accross or someone thinking it's an OOF picture, is because, we'll nothing is in true focus. I did that intentionally. The crisp tight aperture shot just looked like a snap of a woman and her dog. But wide open with just enough focus to be able to read the sign felt like a better over all picture for me.

Thanks for looking guys.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    I like the concept, it just seems like you lost the moment?headscratch.gif
    Had the lady and dog been closer (thus larger), I think it would have worked better.
    Also, I was distracted by the sharp Red Twigs in the foreground.

The depth of field is nailed for betting both the sign and the lady in focus enough to get the point, just wish those two above points had been more possible.
    (Also, snow falling was very good touch; it seemed to add something to me, though I can't put my finger on it.)
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    It appears the focus is on the falling snow in front to the sign. I actually like that. It adds another dimension to the shot and the in focus snow flakes look good.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Good shot! however I have to agree I wish the lady was closer.
    Courtney
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Cool picture Frank. Makes NYC look a little Currier and Ives....mwink.gif
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    You know, that's a pretty cool picture. I would have liked to see the sign a little more in focus...with the message being...it's clearly the law. But, that's just me.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited January 26, 2009
    Yeah, the shot with the sign in focus didn't give the same impact. Also, this was a stolen shot. LoL. That's as close as I was going to get them. LoL. But I'll tell you this, the other day, I was outside on a smoke break and there was a girl with a gorgeous Lavodor Retriever, playing catch right next to the sign. I wish I could carry my camera with me 24/7...

I'll see if I find the rest of the shots in the series and post them. This will have to be later tonight.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter