Options

Wrong time of year

ZarathustraZarathustra Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited February 11, 2009 in Finishing School
Hey Dgrinners! I've got a wee bit of a funky question and if there are no answers to be had then I understand completely. I was approached by a real estate developer to take pictures of a building in Chicago that is in the process of being rehabbed. The problem is that it is January in one of the most ridiculously snowy winters that we've ever had, and they want the pictures to look like spring. Green grass, flowers and cleared sidewalks at the very least with the possibility of leafy trees. I guess that that isn't the real problem. The real problem is that I am a PS n00b and have no idea where to even begin to make this look even a wee bit realistic. Any hints/tips/tricks/advice will be very helpful even if it is simply "You're out of your league, get over it."

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 24, 2009
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Optimistic aren't they!!

Unless you happen to have and image from last spring of this building, shot from the same vantage point and time of day that they want the image from now, I think they are dreaming. I could be wrong, of course.

I am sure that an image like they desire is capable of being created, but probably not even close to the price point they have in mind for a high quality image suitable for reproduction. Bert Monroy could do it, but I'll bet not at the price they have in mind.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ZarathustraZarathustra Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    Luckily, they are OK if I overprocess the pics to the point that they can no longer be considered photographs but are now "artistic representations" of the building. I'm thinking that they might just have to shell out the bucks to get it rendered (a much more common practice than the 'shopped to hell and back route). I'm in the middle of giving it the old I'd-Like-To-Pay-My-Rent Try as we speak. So far it is looking like they could have hired Stephen Hawking to paint it free-hand. eek7.gif

Oh well. I did find a couple of tutorials that are teaching me something at least. Even if this project is a total bust I'm picking up some valuable information and practice for my efforts.
  • Options
    SCPSCP Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    the problem is, that's not very ethical. If someone purchases something off an image and they get the item or see the item and it looks NOTHING like the photo representation you and or the Realtor could be sued for misrepresenting the building. I would opt for a more artistic creative winter look then trying to recreate spring time. Or, tell them to wait till Spring.
    Kandie Kingery

Become a fan of Stone Creek Photography