snips, snails and puppy dog tails...

ajdocnhaileyajdocnhailey Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited January 25, 2009 in People
I don't post here often, but I had a newborn session last week and wanted to share a few from it. c/c is welcomed on any and all of them. :)

3223727862_31e279649f.jpg
3223727796_bb55a46724.jpg
3223727720_f4d3074bc6.jpg

Comments

• NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    I'll give it a (quick) go!
    For #1: the glove (bear?) is a bit distracting to me; I assume there's a specific point, but I missed it. Also, I'm not such a fan of the high contrast stuff. Also, the expression is sort of typical newborn; to me: not something that's particularly fun to look at except someday to say, "look what you put me through!"

For #2: this is a great shot (great expression), esp. for a newborn. This'll be a great one for years to come. Lighting is great.

For #3: Again, not a fan of high contrast, and this one (and #1) might be a bit over exposed? (Probably on purpose, as artistic license allows!) I also tend to be a fan of the out-of-the-ordinary stuff, and this one is pretty in line with what a lot of people might expect. Not that that's necessarily bad, just not my own style. (In other words, if that's what the customer wanted, and you met their needs, rock on!)

Thanks for offering up the chance to critically look at these images! It gives me a chance to learn when I look that deeply at images, so it's nice to get the chance and (hopefully?) offer some helpful commentary at the same time.
    (and since I'll be posting a few in a minute, please play turn-about-is-fair-play to me!thumb.gif)
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    NateW wrote:
    I'll give it a (quick) go!
    For #1: the glove (bear?) is a bit distracting to me; I assume there's a specific point, but I missed it. Also, I'm not such a fan of the high contrast stuff. Also, the expression is sort of typical newborn; to me: not something that's particularly fun to look at except someday to say, "look what you put me through!"

For #2: this is a great shot (great expression), esp. for a newborn. This'll be a great one for years to come. Lighting is great.

For #3: Again, not a fan of high contrast, and this one (and #1) might be a bit over exposed? (Probably on purpose, as artistic license allows!) I also tend to be a fan of the out-of-the-ordinary stuff, and this one is pretty in line with what a lot of people might expect. Not that that's necessarily bad, just not my own style. (In other words, if that's what the customer wanted, and you met their needs, rock on!)

Thanks for offering up the chance to critically look at these images! It gives me a chance to learn when I look that deeply at images, so it's nice to get the chance and (hopefully?) offer some helpful commentary at the same time.
    (and since I'll be posting a few in a minute, please play turn-about-is-fair-play to me!thumb.gif)
    15524779-Ti.gif with just about everything Nate said. I'm really confused by #1. It looks like something is choking the baby. Not a fan of the high-contrast over-sharpened look. To me, newborns are soft.

#2 - this is great. Nice catchlights - got the eyes looking into the camera. Very nice.

#3 - Same as #1.

This is just my opinion. Far more important is yours and how the parents feel about them.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif with all that has been said. Babies never look good in high contrast black and white. If you are looking to get a vintage look there are better ways. Also... most babies being that they have very dark eyes should have catchlights. #1 give the baby's eyes a "void" look that I am not fond of. But I like #2:D
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!