Options

Feeling lost, need some help!

RewenRewen Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited January 28, 2009 in Technique
Ok, so I booked my first wedding today. I was not expecting to book a wedding at all actually, I do not feel good enough sometimes. (feeling a bit down on myself today, can you tell?)
I took my camera out to play around with it in manual, program and auto, and I am finding that I am getting lost in my settings, like flustered?
I am pretty new to the bigger DSLR's which is why I went with the Sony Alpha 200, because it was basic, and not overly fancy, but would do the job well.
So, any tips on how to gage lighting and where to put my f.stops, and stuff?

I feel really inexperienced, although I know I can do a good job, but the what if's keep coming up. Augh, any suggestions?
Rachel Ewen Photography

www.rachel-ewen.com

Comments

• Options
    bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    I really think that you should reconsider doing a wedding for someone, unless it is a close friend. I am no expert, but if you are asking about settings and what not then I dont think it is fair that you take a project as important as a wedding on.

Correct me if I am wrong. This doesnt appear to be the right place to jump in and give a good effort on.

Just my 2 cents, but if you think you can do it then all the power to you. You just got your camera for starters, and 2 you are asking basic questions for a serious gig???

Good luck
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    Manual is a good setting, program and auto are not, especially auto, bad bad bad.

I primarily use Av (that's Canon's Aperture Priority, I don't know what Sony calls it). This allows you to set all your setting except for shutter speed. The camera will automatically set the shutter speed to whatever ISO, Aperture and Exposure you have it set to. Play around with that and see how you like it. If you are going to be in a low light situation, try and use as fast as a lens as possible (around f/2.8). When using this wide of an aperture you'll get more light and thus faster shutter speeds to stop the motion of the people, but at the same time have a shallower depth of field (DOF). It depends though on how far you are away from the subject, where a f/2.8 will probably be plenty depth of field if you are any amount of distance from your subject (10-20' or so).

I'd have to agree though with the last statement, if you just got your new dSLR and are asking about settings and saying you played around with it on "auto" (green square = bad), then I'd say hold off on the wedding 'till you get some more clicks under your belt. If the wedding is like 3 months away, then yeah, shoot as much as you can 'till then and if you think you're ready, then do it. If it's next week, I might hold off.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    I've done 20 weddings and, to date, no two have been the same and none have been totally under control.

If you don't know how to use your camera, you are not the right person to do the job.

However, if you have time, you can learn to do the job right. And playing with the camera is a good place to start. Another thing you need to look at is your kit. What do you have for lenses? Are they good enough to do the job if you don't or can't use flash?

Take a look at the various resource stickies in the "Weddings" forum. And, there's a lot of information in my "Toughts on wedding photography" - take a look at my siggy for a link.

Finally, it might be a better idea to post questions relating to weddings in the Wedding forum. Just a thought.
  • Options
    RewenRewen Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    Thanks everyone for your advice!

The wedding isn't until August, and I explained to them that I was pretty new to the wedding scene.

I have had my camera for awhile, just was afraid to shoot in manual too much, because I wasn't 100% confident in what I had learned from a fellow photographer.

Thank you for the suggestions, I guess the aperture priority setting might be something to try, I haven't tried that yet in certain settings.

I have planned to co-shoot a few weddings before this one, including a friends, I am sure the confidence will come after I shoot a few weddings.

If there is anyone out there that has one of the Sony Alpha series cameras, please let me know what you think about dealing with some of the settings and short cuts, i haven't had much luck finding anything on it.

Thanks again everyone!
    Rachel Ewen Photography

www.rachel-ewen.com

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Rewen wrote:
    Thanks everyone for your advice!

The wedding isn't until August, and I explained to them that I was pretty new to the wedding scene.

I have had my camera for awhile, just was afraid to shoot in manual too much, because I wasn't 100% confident in what I had learned from a fellow photographer.

Thank you for the suggestions, I guess the aperture priority setting might be something to try, I haven't tried that yet in certain settings.

I have planned to co-shoot a few weddings before this one, including a friends, I am sure the confidence will come after I shoot a few weddings.

If there is anyone out there that has one of the Sony Alpha series cameras, please let me know what you think about dealing with some of the settings and short cuts, i haven't had much luck finding anything on it.

Thanks again everyone!
    I think aperture priority will work quite for you well outside and inside without flash.

Inside and with flash - well that's another story. I've found the only reliable way to shoot under these conditions is to do it manual. Set your ISO, shutter speed, and aperture the way you need it to be and let the on-camera flash fill the gaps. If you are shooting with off-camera flash of most any sort (anything except dedicated flashes that communicate with your camera), you are just about forced to shoot in manual mode and your aperture/ISO will be dictated by the power of the flashes/strobes.

But, you'll learn all this when you "co-shoot" a couple of weddings. BTW - that is an excellent idea. Get all the experience and exposure to this crazy business you can before you are actually sitting in the hot-seat.

And, as for the DSLR - basic is just fine ... no need to worry on that account. I have a couple of friends that shoot (or have shot) weddings with entry-level cameras - in this case one of the various Canon Rebel series. Concentrate on the glass - make sure you have lenses that are up to the job. If you have to, rent and/or borrow them with enough time to get to know them a little bit. OK, so I've said that before. Do you think there might be a reason for that?deal.gifDmwink.gif
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    I never planned on being a wedding photographer, but I let a friend & coworker talk me into it. I said if they act like wildlife and landscapes I could probably pull it off. I also told them that I was not strong on posing people but I can document the event.
    I was more nervous then the groom the day of the wedding but once I got started taking shots I mellowed out.
    Besides taking my camera with me everywhere I went and just shooting people inside and outside at any kind of event I went to before the wedding. Trying different settings and making notes of what worked and what didn't, also getting used to my flash unit and diffuser . Practice Practice Practice
    I also did online research and bought one of the best tools I had found for the subject Digital Wedding Photography by Glen Johnson. I had looked at several books and this one was suggested to me by my local shop and I found it most helpful.
    I have 2 more wedding scheduled this year from the first job so I guess I did OK.
    I cant help you on the Sony as far as settings and use of the camera, I shoot Nikons
    But I do use Aperture Priority setting most of the time. For the desire depth of field and check the histograms for exposure control. Nikons makes it easy to make changes on the fly without having to go to menus. You can also set it up for different situations in custom menu for inside, outside ect.. I had 2 cameras my D300 and D50 as a back up and different lens for quick switch. It was hard but wonderful work if you can get. Especially when the poat processing is done and the bride is happy.
    Good Luck and Happy Shooting from still not a wedding photographer
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    gchappelgchappel Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    If you are doing this wedding for money- and the couple believe they are hiring a pro I hope you can fill their expectations.
    You will need backup equipment- that is at least 2 of everything.
    What happens if your camera body quits or is dropped? You will not have a second chance to make the shot. Same question about your lenses, flashes, batteries- everything. Rule of thumb- if you need one, have 2. If you don't need it- have one.
    You have to get to the point that you don't think about camera settings- they need to be automatic. You need to be thinking- full time- about posing, getting the shot, backgrounds, crowd control, etc- not about what fstop to use.
    Get comfortable with flash, learn portrait lighting. Get a list of "must have shots", and make sure you get them.
    I have only shot a few weddings for friends. I am not a pro at weddings, but the above I believe are basic requirements to do the job professionally.
    gary