One Man Acoustical Jam

bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited January 25, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I recently started a college level night school photography course. We have to take several pictures about things that represent us. I have taken this shot 248 times. I have played with several settings trying to get it just right. I really love this shot and wanted to share it with you all, so I can get some comments before I turn it in.

D300, 18-200mm VR shot at 200mm f5.6 1/2. I wanted to bring the wood grain out and create a picture that leads the eye. CC welcomed please!!!!!!

DSC_2377.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    bosco0633 wrote:
    I recently started a college level night school photography course. We have to take several pictures about things that represent us. I have taken this shot 248 times. I have played with several settings trying to get it just right. I really love this shot and wanted to share it with you all, so I can get some comments before I turn it in.

D300, 18-200mm VR shot at 200mm f5.6 1/2. I wanted to bring the wood grain out and create a picture that leads the eye. CC welcomed please!!!!!!

Hi there Bosco, 248 times hey? boy your keen :D

I like the shot, lovely Bokeh on this, and you also too dusted off the guitar,
    except for a few spots right on the wood edge where the strings attach.

It's pretty darn smooth I must say clap.gif :ivar
    Well Done! .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    keen is an understatement, my wife would call me down right obsessive compulsive!!!!

I appreciate the comment. I just googled Bokeh, I have heard the term several times relating to shallow depth of field.

Thanks again, maybe I will go and dust it again and take some more pictures.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    I generally like your approach with this photo, with one big exception: your effort to lead the eye. I find I initially focus on the in-focus string tie-down and then my eyes tend to follow the out-of-focus strings right on out of the picture, which is probably not what you want. Other people may well see it differently.

Good luck with the course.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    This is a beautiful shot. It proves what a little patience can do. (Photoghraphers are patient, not obsessive compulsive. mwink.gif)

Great detail on the main focal point. I love the S-curve of the body, where the image goes from medium green to light green; a great use of shades. I'm not to sure about the dark area in the upper right, though. When I'm on the focal point it doesn't bother me, but when my eyes follow the strings it tends to distract. ne_nau.gif

Beautiful. Simply beautiful. thumb.gifthumb.gifbowdown.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Wonderful shot. Love the DOF.
  • bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    thanks for the kind words. Funny, I didnt even see that, perhaps a tighter crop for the final product and eliminate the dark spot. The dark spot is actually the wall. I have the top of the guitar resting on a pillow covered with a white blanket. This gave me the angle to shoot up the neck and capture the grain on the top of the guitar.

I really appreciate the CC, thank you so much