jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited January 27, 2009 in People
We celebrated another birthday in my household tonight. Hard to believe our "caboose" is seventeen. Time surely flies...

This is the first ...only....shot I have EVER attempted at ISO3200. It wasn't long ago I would have thought that was impossible.

F4.0, 1/80th sec., ISO3200
Canon 50D and Canon 17-55mm F2.8IS @ 17mm
RAW file processed in Adobe Lightroom 2.2

461066520_Ft2Ws-L.jpg

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    That's a little scary ... (the ISO I mean!) So I take it you're liking the 50D? :D

Sweet birthday shot. That said, I can't help but smile at your young man in the background looking just a wee bit bored by it all.... :giggle
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    That's a little scary ... (the ISO I mean!) So I take it you're liking the 50D? :D

I like it so far....still really just getting to know one another. I am dying to do a more formal portrait shoot with it...and I may soon. My "drum major senior" and his folks were here tonight to place an order (and I sold my first book!) and he named off several other seniors that are planning to use me for their senior portfolio. I also have some others that are awaiting spring. If this shot is any real indication, ISO3200 on the 50D is more useable than 1600 on the XTi.

Sweet birthday shot. That said, I can't help but smile at your young man in the background looking just a wee bit bored by it all.... :giggle

That is a perfect grab of his personality....and don't be fooled....he dotes on his baby sister. He bought her a pink Browning lock blade pocketknife. Good grief.....I hope she doesn't cut her finger off!!!eek7.gif He turned 22 in December. $hi% I am getting old!!!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    HAppy Birthday Caboose rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif What a great family Jeff......nice shot to boot. Olde Ye Say? Hmmmmmm.......marraige and grandkids in the future I see :D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    And I'm afraid to go above 800 on my D80. Envious. I like that you still put a candle for every year on the cake. Do they do that for your cake? Any problems with the smoke detector if they do? :D:D:D Sorry...

Tihs is like a fast-forward for me of about 10 years. My caboose turns 8 in a month and my engine turns 18 in two months. Hard to believe.

Looking forward to seeing (and learning from) your upcoming senior sessions with your new toy...
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
    edited January 25, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    HAppy Birthday Caboose rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif What a great family Jeff......nice shot to boot. Olde Ye Say? Hmmmmmm.......marraige and grandkids in the future I see :D

Well, thats a long way away I hope!:D
    edited January 25, 2009
    Mike J wrote:
    And I'm afraid to go above 800 on my D80. Envious. I like that you still put a candle for every year on the cake. Do they do that for your cake? Any problems with the smoke detector if they do? :D:D:D Sorry...

Tihs is like a fast-forward for me of about 10 years. My caboose turns 8 in a month and my engine turns 18 in two months. Hard to believe.

Looking forward to seeing (and learning from) your upcoming senior sessions with your new toy...

Thanks Mike.....

Capture those memories of those litt;e ones while they are still...somewhat...little!thumb.gif
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Nice shot Jeff... You probably already know this because she is the caboose... I got a rude awakening when I did my taxes and found out you can't take the child tax credit after they turn 17! so I get a 900.00 tax bill due April 15th of course... The ISO 3200 is amazing... They are sure doing some great things within the cameras these days! :D

Winston
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    YAY! Very nice shot you got!! iloveyou.gif ISO3200 IS a bit scary ... rolleyes1.gif Haha, done that the other day too and I got goose bumps thumb.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Oh! I like the light from the candles + shadows on the cake! Very cool!
    My other fav aspect of this photo is how you caught the joyful look on the other guest's face (the girl... not so much the boy)

Did you do any noise reduction? Or is this the 3200 ISO pretty much as it is? VERY impressive whatever the case.
    edited January 26, 2009
    Oh! I like the light from the candles + shadows on the cake! Very cool!
    My other fav aspect of this photo is how you caught the joyful look on the other guest's face (the girl... not so much the boy)

Did you do any noise reduction? Or is this the 3200 ISO pretty much as it is? VERY impressive whatever the case.

I used "some" LR noise reduction....but.....most of this image is really under lit. I was excited that the cake.....which was decently exposed.....except for the flames.....held very little noise. This is a little exciting for me....and I am pretty anxious to shoot a few at ISO1600.
  • KwartaKwarta Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow

Thats All I can say. you are truly an inspiration to a n00b like me.
    http://kbkphoto.com/

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.~Ansel Adams
    edited January 27, 2009
    Kwarta wrote:
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow

Thats All I can say. you are truly an inspiration to a n00b like me.

Who me?headscratch.gif

IDK why....this shot is....well..... nearly underexposed....but with blown bits as well.....and much of it is very soft.

For me, it's the moment...and the smoke pouring off the cake that make it a keeper...but I am partial to the participants.

Sometimes the moment ,in all it's honesty, can be more important than minor technical issues.

I am glad you like the shot.

Thanks for commenting.
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Awesome. It looks like my D40 at 800 with proper exposure. This is the sort of thing that makes me want to upgrade. I could care less about megapixels, but clean high ISO is something I could really use.

As for the shot itself I really like the composition, and as you said the "moment" makes it.
    edited January 27, 2009
    Awesome. It looks like my D40 at 800 with proper exposure. This is the sort of thing that makes me want to upgrade. I could care less about megapixels, but clean high ISO is something I could really use.

As for the shot itself I really like the composition, and as you said the "moment" makes it.

Well, I hate to bust your bubble on mega-pixels, but it is time to indeed start thinking about them again. We have enjoyed the luxury of NOT having to give MP much consideration when we were enjoying the 8, 10, and 12 mp cameras, but there are reasons to think about it now.

- The RAW files from the 50D run in the 18-21 megabyte range....making storage, and file management more of an issue than what I have experienced in the past.

- Working in post production with files this size are more taxing on computers. My pc isn't yelling "uncle" just yet, but there is a noticable difference in the time it takes to....transfer files, open files, export files etc.

- It has been said in several articles around the net that the image quality of the 50D suffers from it's own goodness. That is....the pixel density.....which is quite high on this camera produces such great detail that it will show flaws in lenses better than many cameras on the market. The fix for this...of course...is to purchase better quality(and more expensive) glass.

None of these things are neccessarily "bad", but are issues related to "megapixels" that are indeed worth taking into account when buying a camera body.

There is no good reason we can't get even better high iso performance from a body that produces 8 or 10mp files.....but the manufacturers still seem to be in a mp race...so...ne_nau.gif