Got the kids to stand for a shoot today....

NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited January 25, 2009 in People
So I've been posting comments, which I hope have been well received. :D
Here's the chance to offer pay-backs, if someone thinks they're necessary! (:hide)

My son is one of those people who almost cannot sit still. There are details, but suffice it to say, he's quite literally on the "busy" end of the scale for kids his age (4). Thus, to get him to stand still for anything is nearly impossible. OK, that's it for excuses. :wink
#1 error I'd point out if I were looking at them for C&C: subjects further from the backdrop! (youch!)

#1: Gangsta Chris
460968654_ThkJq-L-1.jpg
(If I'd thought more, I'd have drawn tattoos on him before the shoot!)

#2: Profile
461117380_fuX4s-L.jpg

#3: Here's The Deal, This Is My Territory! (her prop choice; hey, it kept her there!)
460971356_f7af2-L-1.jpg

The more I look at these, the more I wish I'd seen how bad the being that close to the backdrop was going to be. We'll see what they're up for tomorrow.
NateW

NTWPhotos.com
Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.

Comments

• WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Hi Nate, glad you posted. Aside what you said about the background...

I agree they need to be farther away. At least 4 feet

Personal preference is not to shoot kids over 2 without shirts on..... especially indoors. I might work better outside.

I find that kind of muslin distracting with kids. I think they would have looked nice against plain white or black.

On the positive....way cute kids you have!!!! and willing to pose clap.gif
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Hi Nate, glad you posted. Aside what you said about the background...

I agree they need to be farther away. At least 4 feet

Personal preference is not to shoot kids over 2 without shirts on..... especially indoors. I might work better outside.

I find that kind of muslin distracting with kids. I think they would have looked nice against plain white or black.

On the positive....way cute kids you have!!!! and willing to pose clap.gif
    I'm planning to try a re-shoot today (different theme, of course), so we'll see what comes of that if I can get them farther away (my studio room is kinda small, so this was actually shot at 31mm and only mildly cropped). Best bet may be to change up the kind of shot, i.e. not full length with some cropping, but more 1/2 length. If I get to this shoot, I'll post new ones.
    (Uh, outside is a balmy 16deg F. I'll give it a go this spring/summer, though!)

The shirt off was for a specific purpose ("Gansta Chris" is what set off the shoot in the first place). I agree small bodies are not what we're used to seeing, shapewise. (Is there another reason why you'd avoid it? There's the obvious fear of showing off a kid and getting the wrong element paying attention, but other than that?)

I've got a section of black velvet that's just awesome, but last time I used it, Chris easily (and repeatedly) exceeded the borders. This was way wide enough, and I hadn't used it on the previously, so I gave it a go.
    Do you typically stay away from this kind of background even when you can get enough separation to get out of focus? We'll switch to plain color this afternoon (again, assuming we do it).

Thanks for the commentary! (Why do I seem to see more in others' photos than I do in my own?!? Probably I'm too tied up in the shoot to think about it critically enough. Hm. Gotta work on that.)
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 25, 2009
    If you're challenged by the lack of room, you could try the black background then under expose it. Use the flash to light your subject correctly. This might take away enough of the background.

Otherwise, I think you're going in the right direction.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?