Feel Free to be brutally honest Please.

TDS 1964TDS 1964 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited January 26, 2009 in Sports
Hello All,
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I am new to SmugMug and I have spent a few hours on the Sports forum. It is easy to see that there is allot of talent in here.
<o:p></o:p>
I was hoping that you all would be kind enough to visit my page and critique my images.
tdsphotography.smugmug.com
I have studio experience but only a little "sports" experience. I have been practicing for some time now.
Please be as honest as needed, I'm a big Boy and I can take it. I only have 3 albums so it should not take very long.
Thank You
mike
TDS 1964

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Hello, welcome to dgrin.

First, the dgrin default background is black, so I cannot read your text. Change it to white so it is readable.

Next, if you'd like us to look at your work, you will need to give us a link.

I actually prefer if you can pick some examples and post them here, rather than ask us to go digging around your galleries.

So, lets see them photos!

ann
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif

Post some images in the thread and we'll be glad to take a look. Part of being a sports shooter is being able to select a handful of images that represent your work. Looking forward to seeing a few of them.
  • TDS 1964TDS 1964 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    459368721_Vk2u8-XL-6.jpg
    TDS 1964 wrote:
    Ok, I think I figured out how, one at least it won't let me do more than one??460981652_QhUg9-XL-2.jpg

quote=johng]15524779-Ti.gif

Post some images in the thread and we'll be glad to take a look. Part of being a sports shooter is being able to select a handful of images that represent your work. Looking forward to seeing a few of them.
    [/quote]
    edited January 25, 2009
    460982551_pZJ38-X2-3.jpg
    TDS 1964 wrote:
    460789234_veHHr-XL-2.jpg
    [/quote]
    edited January 25, 2009
    459367934_A6JKJ-X2-6.jpg
    TDS 1964 wrote:
    459368837_AjCKJ-X2-6.jpg
    [/quote]
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Thank you!

On the first bike photo, I would crop the bottom more - get rid of the excess snow.

The snowboarders are impressive, though the first one is a bit cramped for head room.

The last two bike photos are very good as well, though there could be some snow removal done to one of them.

Good work, welcome and I look forward to seeing more of your shots!

ann
    edited January 25, 2009
    Thank You
    Thank You, Ann,
    All CC is taken very seriously

Ann McRae wrote:
    Thank you!

On the first bike photo, I would crop the bottom more - get rid of the excess snow.

The snowboarders are impressive, though the first one is a bit cramped for head room.

The last two bike photos are very good as well, though there could be some snow removal done to one of them.

Good work, welcome and I look forward to seeing more of your shots!

ann
  • JeffCanonJeffCanon Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Took a quick look thru your Smugmug pages, a lot of the boarding shots are framed/cropped very tight you need to loosen up some, some of the bike ones are better, keeping on the issue of framing current trend in extreme sports is looser framing showing more of the view, IMO this does not always add to a shot, I would subject mixing it up with both styles
    edited January 25, 2009
    Will do thanks

JeffCanon wrote:
    Took a quick look thru your Smugmug pages, a lot of the boarding shots are framed/cropped very tight you need to loosen up some, some of the bike ones are better, keeping on the issue of framing current trend in extreme sports is looser framing showing more of the view, IMO this does not always add to a shot, I would subject mixing it up with both styles
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Nice...

I would keep the crops tight IMHO, but I would give more room to where the motion is going. It's more comforting to the viewer.

For example in motorsports you leave a little room in front (where the subject is going). In your shot the boarder is moving upwards, I as a viewer would feel more comfortable if he had more room up top. I think there is too much snow on the lower that could be cropped... it doesn't add enough for the image real estate it occupies. That said, if you're selling a mag cover, you need a lot of room around the subject for the mags words.

all my .02

BTW they're all good shots, welcome aboard
    Rags
    edited January 25, 2009
    Thank You
    I have always struggled a little when it comes to composing/cropping images.
    Perhaps there is a good book out there.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    torags wrote:
    Nice...

I would keep the crops tight IMHO, but I would give more room to where the motion is going. It's more comforting to the viewer.

For example in motorsports you leave a little room in front (where the subject is going). In your shot the boarder is moving upwards, I as a viewer would feel more comfortable if he had more room up top. I think there is too much snow on the lower that could be cropped... it doesn't add enough for the image real estate it occupies. That said, if you're selling a mag cover, you need a lot of room around the subject for the mags words.

all my .02

BTW they're all good shots, welcome aboard
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Nah.. as JeffCanon said its a trend or style.

Rags
  • zack75144zack75144 Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Okay my .02

I think the BMX shots need to be cropped tighter and in portrait aspect. Otherwise they are very good shots.

The boarding shots are also very good, but as mentioned earlier could be cropped little looser and composed off center leaving some open space in the direction travel.

I would also use a more subtile watermark. IMHO the big X across the photo is a big distraction.

Great Shots!thumb.gif
    Zack www.zackjonesphotography.net
    EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.
    edited January 26, 2009
    Thank You
    I have been working on a water mark, just did not finish it yet.

Thank You

zack75144 wrote:
    Okay my .02

I think the BMX shots need to be cropped tighter and in portrait aspect. Otherwise they are very good shots.

The boarding shots are also very good, but as mentioned earlier could be cropped little looser and composed off center leaving some open space in the direction travel.

I would also use a more subtile watermark. IMHO the big X across the photo is a big distraction.

Great Shots!thumb.gif
  • tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    I would not change the watermark! I have more and more people come up to me saying they enjoyed viewing my pics on the web site, and they 'figured' out how to print them. Very resourceful people out there....
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
    edited January 26, 2009
    Hmmm.......I'll keep that in mind. Thank You

tjk60 wrote:
    I would not change the watermark! I have more and more people come up to me saying they enjoyed viewing my pics on the web site, and they 'figured' out how to print them. Very resourceful people out there....