New toy, nice sky and a new santa cruz lighthouse shot

frelfrel Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited January 25, 2009 in Landscapes
Hi,

I just got a EOS 5D mk II as a gift and this camera is definitely amazing. Any way this morning I was craving to test it and the sky was nice so I went down the beach and took this shot.

As usual feedbacks critiques and comments are more than welcome

461508613_cvdnS-L.jpg
click the picture for EXIF details

Comments

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Congrats on your new camera. This would be a great image were it not for the OOF rocks and that yellow thing that dominates the foreground. What would this look like if you cropped them out the bottom 1/4 of the image? You might also want to darken the clouds a bit with a ND grad adjustment.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    +1... Good luck with the toy
    Rags
  • frelfrel Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Congrats on your new camera. This would be a great image were it not for the OOF rocks and that yellow thing that dominates the foreground. What would this look like if you cropped them out the bottom 1/4 of the image? You might also want to darken the clouds a bit with a ND grad adjustment.
    I tried your suggestions . I kind of liked tohe OOF rocks but wasn't pleased with the yellow buoy.
    Doing so totally changed the shot to a more dramatic/stormy situation.

461709445_d34c7-L.jpg
    It is far from what I saw but I like it this way too thanks
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    I much prefer Jeff's suggestion as well - even wider on the right hand side would give it a nice panorama look - really has a stormy look about it now - beautiful lighting. thumb.gif

Cheers, Richard.
  • frelfrel Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    R.Jay wrote:
    I much prefer Jeff's suggestion as well - even wider on the right hand side would give it a nice panorama look - really has a stormy look about it now - beautiful lighting. thumb.gif

Cheers, Richard.

Thanks,

I thought to extend it very wide to the right but nothing was really going on there and it was just reducing the general impact.Expecially by doing a this 16:9 crop instead I had the little black guy close to the middle taking much more attention and I kind of like it when the wider view was just "dissolving" him in the horizon.
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    frel wrote:
    I tried your suggestions . I kind of liked tohe OOF rocks but wasn't pleased with the yellow buoy.
    Doing so totally changed the shot to a more dramatic/stormy situation.

461709445_d34c7-L.jpg
    It is far from what I saw but I like it this way too thanks

Nice looking shot!! I like the lighting on the lighthouse with the dramatic sky in the back.