Parakart racing

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grinsBournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
edited January 28, 2009 in Sports
Or traction Kite buggy racing, call it what you want but this weekend was the annual Icicles race at Westward Ho! north Devon.

The day was merky grey overcast to sunny and the winds light

Here is the UK's Top Pilote

img_6124.jpg

Getting the eye from another pilote

img_6210.jpg

This is how you slow down to take a turn when you have no brakes, stick it into a slide to scrub off the speed (the speeds were quite tame this weekend, only about 30mph)

img_6283.jpg

Thank you for looking

Tim

Comments

• banjopetebanjopete Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    These looks as though there is some really great potential, but I can't figure out what's they're holding on to without a shot showing the sail.

With that being said the shots look pretty solid, but a wider angle might do more to convey the action and to see what is actually going on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Thanks for the comments Banojopete, at the other end of the handles that the pilots are holding is a kite, the problem is the kite is 25mtr+ away from the pilote

img_6196.jpg

I guess knowing the sport it is easy for me to comprehend what I am looking at but for those who don't know just wonder what they are seeing

img_6155.jpg

Thanks for the commends

Tim
  • crmitchecrmitche Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    That looks INSANE! Cool shots too! Nothing like that around here.

Cheers
    Craig
    http://craigm.smugmug.com/

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do." Walt Disney
  • tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    how often are the kite lines tangled? Looks like a lotta fun
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 27, 2009
    I love watching these guys. There's a local park with not much room--it's a dirt parking lot--and they get some serious speed going. I couldn't guess the speed but it's pretty quick given the lot isn't more than 300 yds end to end.

Nicely done! Especially the second. That you've got the pilot's eyes is great.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Thanks for the comments guys, fortunately line tangles between kites is not that common but with four lines per kite losing control of your own kite can leave you with a large ball of string to sort out.

I am going to another event at the same beach in April which runs for three days and covers all types of traction kiting. Last years event was sold out with 500 kite flyers, the beach was just a sea of kites.

Tim