Informal low light portrait with my new D700

Wes WeberWes Weber Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited December 27, 2009 in People
It seems that the majority of my available photo time is when lighting conditions are not great - usually inside our house in the evening. I was getting frustrated with my old camera because I'd either miss a shot using available light because I couldn't use fast enough shutter, or I'd simply not try because the hassle of setting up my lights wasn't worth it.

Here's a great example of what I'm talking about. I love this shot, and I absolutely would have missed it. It was taken about 45 minutes before sunset on a cloudy day on our living room floor, with only available window light.

The D700 has brought a whole new element to my photography. The added freedom given by it's low light capability has really been exciting to me.

Let me know what you think...

461608816_4D9cM-L.jpg

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    I think you're exactly right...and yet before I got my D700, I had no idea of what I could be getting...Great purchase decision! I kept my D300 and I am using it, but When I got to have a low light shot and feel the need for speed, the D700 is there and then some!

Oh, and touching photo~

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 25, 2009
    Wes, that is a nice picture. Very nice.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    That is a great photo, very sweet between mother and child. Maybe that's my problem, I need a D700 mwink.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    I think you're exactly right...and yet before I got my D700, I had no idea of what I could be getting...Great purchase decision! I kept my D300 and I am using it, but When I got to have a low light shot and feel the need for speed, the D700 is there and then some!

Oh, and touching photo~

cheers, tom

Angevin

I'm going to purchase the D300 next month, I was under the impression that the 300 shots hi ISO well also. headscratch.gif Low to no noise at 1600 ISO. I like the way the 300 shoots, and it will work with my DX lenses. Do you not recommend the D300?
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
    edited January 26, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Angevin

I'm going to purchase the D300 next month, I was under the impression that the 300 shots hi ISO well also. headscratch.gif Low to no noise at 1600 ISO. I like the way the 300 shoots, and it will work with my DX lenses. Do you not recommend the D300?

yes. I actually like the D300 and I can get acceptable images up to 2k-2.5k ISO...but thats about it for me, so far. I'm not telling you anything new when I say that that is well above my D70 or D200's acceptable range. But the D700 I can just jump right on up there to ensure I get the shutter speed I am looking for. So, in truth, It really does make one H of a difference for me in low light. Also, I have to tell you When I bolted on my FF lenses to that D700 for the first time, it was nice to see that glass actually look like it was designed to look: view.

The D300 will remain an important part of my kit for the foreseable future.

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    yes. I actually like the D300 and I can get acceptable images up to 2k-2.5k ISO...but thats about it for me, so far. I'm not telling you anything new when I say that that is well above my D70 or D200's acceptable range. But the D700 I can just jump right on up there to ensure I get the shutter speed I am looking for. So, in truth, It really does make one H of a difference for me in low light. Also, I have to tell you When I bolted on my FF lenses to that D700 for the first time, it was nice to see that glass actually look like it was designed to look: view.

The D300 will remain an important part of my kit for the foreseable future.

cheers, tom

Well, I've outgrown my D40. It was a great camera to start out with. I'm ready for a pro level SLR, but since I'm not making a lot of money off of this yet, I don't think I can justify a D3X with my accountant just yet. LoL.

I think for now, the D300 will be my best bang for the buck because I can use my DX lenses with it.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Wes WeberWes Weber Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Thanks for the comments, guys.

FWIW, I use my 12-14 DX lens on my D700 quite a bit. I don't set it to DX mode - I just shoot full frame anyway since I can crop it out later. The results were surprisingly good.

So, Trevlan - If you do ever move over to a FF camera, it might not be necessary to get all new lenses. I'm not trying to sway you away from the D300, but just wanted to mention it for future decisions down the road...

Wes
  • AspectArtsAspectArts Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    That is a great photo, very sweet between mother and child. Maybe that's my problem, I need a D700 mwink.gif
    I KNOW I need a D700! Beautiful picture!
    Lisa

my site: www.aspectartsphoto.com
    my gear: nikon D700, 70-200 mm 2.8, 24-70 mm 2.8, 50 mm 1.4, SB600, AB800
  • ky1ky1 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    re informal low light portrait
    Really nice photo very natural. I havent yet tried any indoor stuff if they look as good as the photo you posted i will be well pleased.
  • BVardyBVardy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    That's a great shot, Wes. One for a frame for sure. thumb.gif
  • jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Wes Weber wrote:
    Thanks for the comments, guys.

FWIW, I use my 12-14 DX lens on my D700 quite a bit. I don't set it to DX mode - I just shoot full frame anyway since I can crop it out later. The results were surprisingly good.

So, Trevlan - If you do ever move over to a FF camera, it might not be necessary to get all new lenses. I'm not trying to sway you away from the D300, but just wanted to mention it for future decisions down the road...

Wes

Wes, I'm drooling for a D700 and want to use 2 of my DX lenses with it - I was considering just using them in crop mode but how does it work not setting it to DX mode? What's different doing it that way?
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 28, 2009
    BVardy wrote:
    That's a great shot, Wes. One for a frame for sure. thumb.gif
    You going to ANA?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • BVardyBVardy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    You going to ANA?
    PM zipping your way...
    edited January 28, 2009
    jhelms wrote:
    Wes, I'm drooling for a D700 and want to use 2 of my DX lenses with it - I was considering just using them in crop mode but how does it work not setting it to DX mode? What's different doing it that way?

I wasn't sure at all you could do this. But after reading Wes' use, I tried it today.....It may work okay for Wes, but I was totally unimpressed.

I tried the tammy 17-50 DX

It works: yes!...file size is appx double compared to crop mode...but it looks like a round dark tunnel with an image in the center.

It makes a round...pseudo vignette out of the image it captures...It may actually do okay in some circumstances...but just doesn't make any sense to me...other than saying you hung a lens on and it worked.

I can tell you tho, that the D700 is really fun and decent and I feel very free to take a low light shot if need be, with ease.

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • TNJulesTNJules Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 26, 2009
    Hi Wes,
    I'm trying to learn how to take pictures in low light, but I'm not using an SLR.
    I have a Canon Power Shot SX200. It's supposed to be good in low light but that's all I know.

Can you point me to any resources? I typically take pictures of my infant daughter indoors with just the light from the window in her room. It's great natural light so I would think I would have problems.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Wes, totally agree with you, LOVE my d700, you can do more!! nice shot, just lovely.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700