Fireworks.

Ron s.Ron s. Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited January 26, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I braved the cold, about zero degrees last night and took some pics of the fireworks they set off. This was my first attempt, need some advice and pratice. The biggest problem is the focus seems to be off. Thank you for the C+C.

Ron

d84e97c8.jpg

851079c8.jpg

4b2b30c2.jpg

5c66632e.jpg

299b634c.jpg

da19829c.jpg

Comments

• R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    I like #1 - different colours and movement thumb.gif

Cheers, Richard.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Ron s. wrote:
    I braved the cold, about zero degrees last night and took some pics of the fireworks they set off. This was my first attempt, need some advice and pratice. The biggest problem is the focus seems to be off. Thank you for the C+C.

Ron

Hi Ron, you did very well for a first attempt clap.gif

My first try was a disaster, yours are way way way better than what I got.
    You need to pre focus when shooting fireworks.

Do not rely on AUTO FOCUS..... set the focus before the fireworks being and lock the lens in, usually you dont have time to zoom in and out while the fireworks are on, as they only last a few minutes, and you try and fire off as many slow shots as you can.

I think you did really well for a first try :ivar .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Fireworks are difficult, I think you did a really good job. I've tried a couple of times, and usually from about a hundred or so shots just a handful are keepers. The most helpful pattern that I try to repeat is to lock the focus and find a shutterspeed that keeps the shutter open just long enough for the flare out-- anything longer and it is too bright and anything shorter you miss capturing the lines in the sky. Using bulb mode and timing the shutter yourself would be another option that I haven't tried.