It was a hard day

sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
edited January 26, 2009 in People
The forecast called for partly cloudy and highs in the 50s. What I got was dark and cloudy, and in the 40s. I terrible underestimated the darkness and left my flash behind. I finally resorted to using the on camera flash. The young man is a teacher and went along as a favor to me. It wasn't a total waste. I learned that I should always bring my flash. Here are a few of the shots.

1461094804_TSm4i-XL.jpg

2461106351_LZPQe-L.jpg

3461035171_ym83z-L.jpg

Caroline

Comments

• Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Looks like you did a great job with the exposure and any flash compensation. Definitely avoided the deer in the headlights look of a full power flash.

thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    the BW is heads and shoulders above the color versions (no pun intended, ha ha!) the softer light and monotone give it a nice vintage feel....reminds me of a portrait of Nick Drake in the '70s! thumb.gif If it were me a bit of eye lightening in post could finish it off.

third one is nicer than the 2nd...much warmer skin tone and nice depth of field, also looks like lower power flash / softer light than #2.

Very nice series!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    The first shot is my favorite, too. I can certainly warm up the second shot.

I was kicking myself about the flash. I didn't even have my little modifier with me for the on camera flash, or anything that could be made into a modifier. I found the flash necessary to get the color of his eyes- the reflector I had wasn't enough.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    You pulled it off anyway~~makes it look totally planned and fine!

I can't believe you had on cam flash on these!! My on cam flashes always look:::: On cam!

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    You pulled it off anyway~~makes it look totally planned and fine!

I can't believe you had on cam flash on these!! My on cam flashes always look:::: On cam!

cheers, tom

15524779-Ti.gif

I think you did great! While yeah, of course having the other flash might have been optimum, these are rather nice in their own right; I think you got some nice sparkly eyes and still avoided the mugshot look despite having to use onboard flash. thumb.gif

Question (for you or others): what CAN you use over the flash if you get caught short like that? Does Kleenex work? Anything else?
    edited January 26, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

I think you did great! While yeah, of course having the other flash might have been optimum, these are rather nice in their own right; I think you got some nice sparkly eyes and still avoided the mugshot look despite having to use onboard flash. thumb.gif

Question (for you or others): what CAN you use over the flash if you get caught short like that? Does Kleenex work? Anything else?

I've tried Kleenex and other stuff in a pinch. I was far away from my vehicle with NOTHING. But, I will say the D300 on camera flash isn't terrible on it's own.

Thanks for the kind comments- I'll stop being hard on myself. HE wasn't a paying client, but I still hate to think that I wasted his time.

Caroline
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Caroline, when I first started out, a pro photographer friend of mine showed me a diffusion technique for the pop up flash that worked better than expected. But I never used it because I forgot.

A sheet of loose leaf paper and be put in front of it to diffuse the light and in some cases, direct it enough.

Glad you didn't give up, these are great shots.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    That first one is very, very nicethumb.gif I don't think anyone could say you wasted anyone's time - not with product like this!
    edited January 26, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Caroline, when I first started out, a pro photographer friend of mine showed me a diffusion technique for the pop up flash that worked better than expected. But I never used it because I forgot.

A sheet of loose leaf paper and be put in front of it to diffuse the light and in some cases, direct it enough.

Glad you didn't give up, these are great shots.

Yep, I've used paper before. And translucent packaging material. White fabric. You'd think on a sniffly day I would at least have tissues in my pocket for a hike into the park. I was definitely off my game. I was cranky that the light from the day before wouldn't show up for me. Friday was gorgeous and Saturday was dreadful. Today was dark again, but it's misty and mysterious (plus not so cold), and I feel I could have found more inspiration in that than the blah weather I had on Saturday.

I really did almost give up, but it's not often that I talk a guy into sitting for me. Of course, I haven't tried all that much before. There are other young teachers at the school, so my thinking was that if I could get some good shots of this guy I'd be able to convince others to let me practice on them.

Good news- on Friday I'll get to shoot my assistant teacher who is also a gorgeous 20 year old model. This time I will be much more prepared.

Caroline
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    I learned that I should always bring my flash. Caroline

Oh yes, I recently made a resolution along those lines!! :crydeal.gifD

Nice finishing to these, Caroline.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Yep, I've used paper before. And translucent packaging material. White fabric. You'd think on a sniffly day I would at least have tissues in my pocket for a hike into the park. I was definitely off my game. I was cranky that the light from the day before wouldn't show up for me. Friday was gorgeous and Saturday was dreadful. Today was dark again, but it's misty and mysterious (plus not so cold), and I feel I could have found more inspiration in that than the blah weather I had on Saturday.

I really did almost give up, but it's not often that I talk a guy into sitting for me. Of course, I haven't tried all that much before. There are other young teachers at the school, so my thinking was that if I could get some good shots of this guy I'd be able to convince others to let me practice on them.

Good news- on Friday I'll get to shoot my assistant teacher who is also a gorgeous 20 year old model. This time I will be much more prepared.

Caroline

clap.gif Never give up! I bought a pretty nice backpack that I can fit my Camera, three lenses, two flashes, all of my filters and gels, batteries, my 5 in 1 reflector, tripod and one light stand. It's a cannon bag, but I'm a nikon shooter, does it matter? It cost me no more than 40 bucks on Amazon. When I take my gear, I take it all, I have no choice.

I don't know how strong you are, but all together, it weighs less than 20 pounds. And you could have those hunks carry it around for you. ;-) Good luck, looking forward to the results.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
    edited January 26, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    clap.gif Never give up! I bought a pretty nice backpack that I can fit my Camera, three lenses, two flashes, all of my filters and gels, batteries, my 5 in 1 reflector, tripod and one light stand. It's a cannon bag, but I'm a nikon shooter, does it matter? It cost me no more than 40 bucks on Amazon. When I take my gear, I take it all, I have no choice.

I don't know how strong you are, but all together, it weighs less than 20 pounds. And you could have those hunks carry it around for you. ;-) Good luck, looking forward to the results.

Thanks, Trevlan. Yes, I've been thinking I need a backpack style bag to lug my gear. Then, I wouldn't even give it a second thought. My big over the shoulder bag kills my shoulder, and isn't very efficient. So, sometimes I end up grabbing my small bag that barely holds my camera and a flash or extra lens. Saturday I moved my camera into the small bag, but NO ACCESSORIES. I think I'm getting a cold, maybe that would explain the fog brain. Anyway, thanks for reminding me to look into a new bag.

Caroline