A Marketing Card (Please C&C) - I'm doing one too!

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited February 1, 2009 in People
Here's the background: I have an opportunity to be the ONLY photographer at a monthly luncheon. It's a group of some 60 Army spouses who do very respected support and community work. There are a number of them who have family members who will be getting married in the next year or so. It's a small affair but I have the opportunity to set up a small display area. I'm planning on a slide show on my laptop, three different album samples and a few other cats and dogs. Well, I was just going to use the standard business cards, but I saw Swartzy's thread and I'm thinking, "That'll work a real treat for me as well!"

So, here's what I think I'm going to use. It's already passed my DW's inspection (and she has much better feel for these sorts of things than do I) but I would really love it if y'all would tear into it and help me make it better.

Format will be 5" x 7"

461705285_EBmcy-XL.jpg

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    I am wanting to do something similar as well. FWIW I think it looks great as is with only a minor suggestion. If you have any children's or infant examples it may be a good idea to add one.....as children are in the future for many of the couples you are targeting.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I am wanting to do something similar as well. FWIW I think it looks great as is with only a minor suggestion. If you have any children's or infant examples it may be a good idea to add one.....as children are in the future for many of the couples you are targeting.
    The DW concurs! How about this one....

461732998_PL4aR-XL.jpg
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Hey, Scott - congratulations! A great opportunity.

This looks nicely done. A couple of nits:

On the top the couple dancing there is a shadow across her face. Correct that - you could leave it below the chin but not across the face.

On the couple on the right side, there is a hand that is attached to a cut off head and that should be cropped out.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009

thumb.gif

...and that is the shot I would have replaced too.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    The second version works better for me - looking good!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Hehe...love the layout :D:D:D Are you going to have both sides printed? I ordered through WHCC and saw they didn't have one sided, so I quickly made another layout for the back. As looking at your images....was just trying to see if there was a way to make it a bit more symetrical....with the b&w's...here you have two and was thinking of them complimenting the layout.....maybe not as the shoot orientation (portrait vs. landscape) may not fly. Good choice of images Scott. I'm with Jeff, replacing the upper left with the child is a good move...much better shot as well.

Ok...here's an idea for the back....something a bit different and you can target another audience as well. Chose this for a more "kid" target that would be conducive somewhat to the coloring and look on the front.

461761264_vA2Jz-XL.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    I guess I might suggest the shot on lower left could be replaced with one that might more immediately get a point across; it took me a minute (maybe I'm slow?), but that he was pumping the air was a little lost on me at first.

I think you have a great opportunity and the card looks great. I bet you'll do quite well at this gig!
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Hello! :D

Ok, first of all, I like what you did .... just being a bit picky with those comments mwink.gif

1. I think the first thing I would change, would be the font. We are working in an artistic field, and I won't think this font fits. If you want to go simple but classy I would choose Century Gothic .... big fan of that font ... the one you used looks too much like a font you would see in a paper back book. ne_nau.gif

2. In general I think the less photos the better ... now of course you don't just want to put one photo on the card (I'm not saying it wouldn't work), but it would need to be THE photo ... and tastes are different ... So I would choose a max of 6.

3. Our eye always wants to have things in a specific order ... I would go with either JUST studio shots, or JUST shots outside ... Go with a color scheme! What exactly do you want to say with that card? Would you put them next to each other in an album? I think there are too many things going on, close-ups, church, portrait, .... No need to try to pack everything on ONE card. If you show them 6 of your VERY best shots, that will be much better (I think)

4. The background! Brown is not a "wedding color" ... nothing wrong with that, but getting cards with a brown background is risky! (I tried it before). Many printing companies won't quite get it right, and then it might go down hill ... rolleyes1.gif I would go with either a simple black or white ... people will never not book you because of those 2 colors, BUT if the brown won't work out as you hoped, it might work against you ... mwink.gif

5. Hmmmm, not sure about the photo in the middle. I DO think it's a nice photo & couple, but the groom is smaller and I think that throws things a bit off ... headscratch.gif I'm sure you have one that would fit better ...

Haha .... those are my 2 cents :Dmwink.gif

Good Luck / Have Fun & PLEASE POST THE RESULT!!! :D
    edited January 25, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Hehe...love the layout :D:D:D Are you going to have both sides printed? I ordered through WHCC and saw they didn't have one sided, so I quickly made another layout for the back. As looking at your images....was just trying to see if there was a way to make it a bit more symetrical....with the b&w's...here you have two and was thinking of them complimenting the layout.....maybe not as the shoot orientation (portrait vs. landscape) may not fly. Good choice of images Scott. I'm with Jeff, replacing the upper left with the child is a good move...much better shot as well.

Ok...here's an idea for the back....something a bit different and you can target another audience as well. Chose this for a more "kid" target that would be conducive somewhat to the coloring and look on the front.

Hey there :D Love what you've done .... :eat ... but might want to watch out with being so close to the edge .... Many printing companies will tell you something about a "safe zone" ... also, I think I would prefer the top right photo look more like if it was done in a studio (try to take away the background) ... & I like the fonts you are using ... but I think I would just go with ONE fancy font, and have the other one be "normal" (+ you're missing the dot of the "i") rolleyes1.gifP.s. REALLY LOVE the brown design background in this case ... (so much to following my own advise) rolleyes1.gif
    edited January 25, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Hello! :D

Ok, first of all, I like what you did .... just being a bit picky with those comments mwink.gif

1. I think the first thing I would change, would be the font. We are working in an artistic field, and I won't think this font fits. If you want to go simple but classy I would choose Century Gothic .... big fan of that font ... the one you used looks too much like a font you would see in a paper back book. ne_nau.gif
    Which font - the one in the photo or the "www"?
    Agnieszka wrote:
    2. In general I think the less photos the better ... now of course you don't just want to put one photo on the card (I'm not saying it wouldn't work), but it would need to be THE photo ... and tastes are different ... So I would choose a max of 6.
    Something to think about ... and why I posted. More eyes, more ideas.
    Agnieszka wrote:
    3. Our eye always wants to have things in a specific order ... I would go with either JUST studio shots, or JUST shots outside ... Go with a color scheme! What exaclty do you want to say with that card? Would you put them next to eachother in an album? I think there are too many things going on, close-ups, church, portrait, .... No need to try to pack everything on ONE card. If you show them 6 of your VERY best shots, that will be much better (I think)

4. The background! Brown is not a "wedding color" ... nothing wrong with that, but getting cards with a brown background is risky! (I tried it before). Many printing companies won't quite get it right, and then it might go down hill ... rolleyes1.gif I would go with either a simple black or white ... people will never not book you because of those 2 colors, BUT if the brown won't work out as you hoped, it might work against you ... mwink.gif
    OK this one I understand (there's a first for everything!)
    Agnieszka wrote:
    5. Hmmmm, not sure about the photo in the middle. I DO think it's a nice photo & couple, but the groom is smaller and I think that throws things a bit off ... headscratch.gif I'm sure you have one that would fit better ...
    I'll look. My thought with this was that one would be interested in the photography potential rather than discriminating against a short / fat / skinny / black / yellow / red / white / .... person. But, I'll look.
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Haha .... those are my 2 cents :Dmwink.gif

So, and to out me now .... (I'm sure not everybody will likes it) This is my email attachment-thingy when I rely to clients (I usually only attach it to the first email). My thoughts were, that I want my client to see that I do many different things. I'm advertising for engagement / wedding / boudoir / pregnancy & baby photography ... I try to show my style, mention my fields on the bottom, and have my name & contact information clearly next to it. Not saying this is the only way to do it ... but I would just try to bring more order to the post card thumb.gif

Good Luck / Have Fun & PLEASE POST THE RESULT!!! :D
    Lots of things to think about here and I really appreciate it. I'll be posting the result of my next version sometime tomorrow afternoon - my production machine is "down for the night".

Again, thanks!
    edited January 25, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    Hey, Scott - congratulations! A great opportunity.

This looks nicely done. A couple of nits:

On the top the couple dancing there is a shadow across her face. Correct that - you could leave it below the chin but not across the face.

On the couple on the right side, there is a hand that is attached to a cut off head and that should be cropped out.
    I'll see what I can do about that shadow but I find dealing with such to be difficult (still learning!). The advice on the cropping is good .... thanks, I didn't even see her back there!
    edited January 25, 2009
    Don't get me wrong, not trying to discriminate here anybody! BUT it might be the first thing that they notice looking at your card ...

(I was talking about the www font)

thumb.gif
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    I'll see what I can do about that shadow but I find dealing with such to be difficult (still learning!). The advice on the cropping is good .... thanks, I didn't even see her back there!

Scott, if you send me the file I can take the shadow out for you. I have been doing a lot of skin work lately to improve my skills.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited January 26, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    Scott, if you send me the file I can take the shadow out for you. I have been doing a lot of skin work lately to improve my skills.
    A very kind offer - you have PM!
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Choice of background color...
    I really like the concept and think the choice of photos are great. Also, the idea to do the front in weddings and the back in children is also very good.

My first impression is that a brown background is weaker than blue. Blue signifies strength, especailly to military families.

Just a thought, but the concept and opportunity is spot on!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
    edited February 1, 2009
    I was asked to post the final product. The following is what I've come up with. I can appreciate the idea that some colors are hard for a printer to get right but I don't much like black or white for anything like this - I prefer something a little less stark - hense the two shades of gray. I thought about what Zanotti had to say about background colors (thanks for the input) and I KNOW Army is not all the excited about blue (has something to do with the fact that they aren't Air Force :D).

Side 1 - Per suggestions, I switched out a couple of photos on side 1 and I'm thinking it will go better with prospectsne_nau.gif
    There's reason for each of the photos on this side:
    The child - 'cause she's a child and about as cute as they get
    The B&G - That guys is seriously happy - maybe about my work?
    The church - 'cause at least on of the people I'm specifically targeting will be getting married in that church
    The kiss - the luncheon is a group of ladies affiliated with the Army - See, I can do Army people too!
    Beth - She's going to be there and is a face well recognized and well liked by all there
    Hand-in-Hand couple - Engagement session folks!
    Couple on bridge - Becuase I like it and I think others will as well
    Mom & Dad - Weddings are about feelings - gotta capture it all and I didn't miss this one so I'll do good for you as well
    Bottom Left - Again, happy about getting married
    Bottom Right - I can do portriats as well

466060853_qZZQY-XL.jpg

Side 2 - I know that arrangement is not as "conservative" as the front side and the overlap might be a bit hinky, but I think it'll work pretty well and I didn't want to make the two large images any smaller. The child is there because I think Jeff is spot on when he suggested kids. The bottom left is there because urbanaries would be very disappointed if I didn't include it.

466060781_fZS5E-XL.jpg

Now I have to wait for WHCC to go through their whole "new client" process. I'll be calling them to ensure that we can actaully get through it and get these printed in time. If not, then I'm going to have to find another source. But, I would think that the better part of 2 weeks should be more than sufficient to go through the new client process and get a printed product back to me. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Any better ideas?
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2009

461732998_PL4aR-XL.jpg

Scott I love this one. My only nit is that I don't like the 2 B&W photos on the same side of the card. I think it would balance better if they were on opposing sides. :D

and I love the above post, now that I see you've decided on a final cut. I love the flip side. The overlap to me is great. It didn't cut off anything pertinent to the photo and it makes it look like the boy is lifting his legs to avoid stepping on the photo.
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11