Thinking of buying the Kenko 2x MC7 DG Teleconverter. Any Thoughts on it?

rsi1986rsi1986 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
edited January 26, 2009 in Cameras
I'm thinking of buying the Kenko 2x MC7 DG Kenko 2x MC7 DG Tele converter to use with the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8. My primary use for this combo will be wildlife. A real life review of the lens or Tele converter would be very helpful before I buy them.
Stimulating the economy one lens at a time. :super
Robert A. www.imaginglifestyle.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 26, 2009
    rsi1986 wrote:
    I'm thinking of buying the Kenko 2x MC7 DG Kenko 2x MC7 DG Tele converter to use with the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8. My primary use for this combo will be wildlife. A real life review of the lens or Tele converter would be very helpful before I buy them.

It sounds like you have yet to purchase either the lens or the teleconverter, is that correct?

It appears that you will be using a Pentax camera, from the information in your profile. (It's always a good idea to include that in pertinent threads.)

I have to tell you that I am a believer in Pentax optics, and I think the Pentax DA STAR SMC 300MM, F4 ED(IF) SDM plus the Sigma 1.4x EX DG APO tele-converter (as needed) is probably a much better way to go for wildlife. The 2x tele-converters are generally too much image degradation for my taste and the longer lens plus shorter converter tends to have better image quality overall.

I tried 2 copies of the Sigma 70-200mm, f2.8 HSM (non-Macro) and I found a peculiar "ringing" in areas of high contrast. Others like the lens, so I might have gotten bad copies. If you decide to purchase the Sigma 70-200mm, be sure you purchase from a vendor with decent return privilages. I have some test images in the following gallery:

http://ziggy53.smugmug.com/gallery/1269595

You might also consider the Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm zoom. I've seen good results on Pentax cameras using that lens.

http://pentaxworld.com/forum/index.php/topic,2451.0.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    I have the Kenko and it is quite nice overall. You will lose 2 stops, and without very good light the AF will have a difficult time.
    If you are comfortable with manual focus this will not be a problem. A little sharpness is lost around the edges also.
    Steve

Website
  • rsi1986rsi1986 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    I'm sorry for not including the camera I'll be using. I shoot with a Pentax K20d. The reason I'm looking at the 70-200, and a tele converter is versatility. I also would like to shoot concerts, candids, and portraits. As an aspiring pro, I just don't have the scratch to buy a lens for all of my shooting styles.
    Stimulating the economy one lens at a time. :super
    Robert A. www.imaginglifestyle.com