Rust in Peace

seaain.grayseaain.gray Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited January 29, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I submitted the following today to an article in the local newspaper called "Rust in Peace." We'll see if any get published.

p553267324-4.jpg

p34374362-4.jpg

p246884187-4.jpg

Under the circumstances, let's hope this next one is not somehow prophetic.

p48337150-4.jpg

An rud a líonas an tsúil líonann sé an croí. ~ Irish Proverb.
("What fills the eye fills the heart.")

Comments

• Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Great shots. Love the last one!

thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Nice series ..... I'm with SHOOTIN1st... I like the last one....... azzaro
  • SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Lovely shots. I, too, like the last one the most.

They must be popular trucks. I live half a world away, and captured this one a little while ago! :)

205514592_Z7E88-L.jpg
    John
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Good photos and great title! thumb.gif I hope it gets published.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
  • seaain.grayseaain.gray Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    All:

Thanks all very much. The last one is my favorite as well. Had to do something of an art piece and I saw this and thought it might work. Am having issues with my camera so it was a strech actually, but overall it worked out ok. Thanks again...
    Sventekoz wrote:
    Lovely shots. I, too, like the last one the most.
    They must be popular trucks. I live half a world away, and captured this one a little while ago! :)

Sventekoz - Wow. Yes, that's the same truck, down to the detail. If it isn't yours now you know the one in your photo is a Chevy. I did some research and make it to be a 1948 - 1950 1 1/2 ton utility truck. I was told that the one in my picture was a flatbed, just like yours. It was a farm truck. They used it to use it to put the hay up.

Looks like yours is still a runner thought currently sporting a flat tire.

Thanks again.

Seaain

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Very nice series. There is something captivating about this kind of subject matter. These old red Chevy trucks are truly everywhere.

462251402_XrN84-XL.jpg
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    I like 2 a lot but I'm very partial to black & white images. I agree with you, Seaain, that your last one is the most artistically interesting. My wife works is watercolors and loves to paint rusty pictures of old vehicles. I sent her the to the thread; I'll bet she loves the photos too.

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    More reason for a 'Rust' sub forum to 'Other Cool Shots'
    thumb.gif Good going!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited January 27, 2009
    DonRicklin wrote:
    More reason for a 'Rust' sub forum to 'Other Cool Shots'
    thumb.gif Good going!

This is actually a great idea. I come across a lot of old machinery, etc. in my travels. Especially now that I've started a project involving Farms. Part of that should be "every farm has a junkyard."

Seaain

edited January 27, 2009
    vintagemxr wrote:
    I like 2 a lot but I'm very partial to black & white images.

Doug:

Thanks. Check out the color to B&W conversion in the following slideshow link. I really like the effect.

Actually, I am with you... my vision tends to always default to B&W. I like to say I always "see" a scene in this manner. The newspaper wanted color for the most part, so I posted mostly what I submitted, but see how you like the conversions...

http://seaaingray.zenfolio.com/p312628693/slideshow

edited January 27, 2009
    Doug:

Thanks. Check out the color to B&W conversion in the following slideshow link. I really like the effect.

Actually, I am with you... my vision tends to always default to B&W. I like to say I always "see" a scene in this manner. The newspaper wanted color for the most part, so I posted mostly what I submitted, but see how you like the conversions...

http://seaaingray.zenfolio.com/p312628693/slideshow

Seaain,

I like the conversions except for the close up of the Chevy badge which looked more dramatic in color. That one seems a little flat and the whites are gone on the upper left, at least on my monitor. The others have a more dramatic feel in B&W than they do in color. In color they are very nice photos, pleasing to the eye, nostalgic, but in B&W I sense the age of the vehicles and the cold of the snow more. thumb.gif

By the way, my wife looked at your photos in this thread and said "Oooo...great inspiration! I love that first one!"

Doug
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
    edited January 28, 2009
    vintagemxr wrote:
    Seaain,
    I like the conversions except for the close up of the Chevy badge which looked more dramatic in color. That one seems a little flat and the whites are gone on the upper left, at least on my monitor. The others have a more dramatic feel in B&W than they do in color. In color they are very nice photos, pleasing to the eye, nostalgic, but in B&W I sense the age of the vehicles and the cold of the snow more. thumb.gif

I agree with you that my conversion on the detail shot is not so good. Frankly, on that one my heart was not in it. For whatever reason, the color interests me more here and the fact that the truck is red and and the berries are red is a cue I like very much in terms of a "story" or perhaps a metaphor of some kind. Not well formed I know but ...
    vintagemxr wrote:
    By the way, my wife looked at your photos in this thread and said "Oooo...great inspiration! I love that first one!"

Thanks Doug. Most kind.

Rust never sleeps... I'd love to see what this thread... all the other great shots in it... can perhaps inspire in others. No reason we cannot keep this going or perhaps starts a new thread... Anyone who wants to add photos to this thread is MORE than welcome.

Thanks again Doug!

Seaain

edited January 28, 2009
    I agree with you that my conversion on the detail shot is not so good. Frankly, on that one my heart was not in it. For whatever reason, the color interests me more here and the fact that the truck is red and and the berries are red is a cue I like very much in terms of a "story" or perhaps a metaphor of some kind. Not well formed I know but ...

I shoot a lot and have often looked at a photo and thought "That would make a nice black & white image." Conversion, filtering, fiddling, and finally giving up is often the result. Not all good color photos have much to offer when converted to B&W no matter how hard we work at it.

I shot a bunch of images at an antique model airplane contest weekend before last and found that some of the photos of the old time model engines made nice black and whites. One image that looked nice in color just went flat in B&W and no adjustment of contrast, whites, blacks, whatever would bring it back to life. I suppose I could reduce it to only black white with no grays and try and pass it off as "artsie" but since I only shoot for fun there was no reason to kid myself. rolleyes1.gif

Doug
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • BlinkingsBlinkings Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    A great collection of old trucks there. Well done. Here is a 1936 Chev my friends and I found whilst out exploring in the deep dark bush! That section for rust would be a great idea.
    All the best,
    Andrew
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    I have to confess I'm not a rust junkie (hehe), but I do like your fourth pic a lot, Seaain!

Btw, how do you find Zenfolio?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix