Decisions: Canon 5D Mk II vs. 1Ds Mk II

boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited November 24, 2010 in Cameras
Just about done confusing myself with flash choices, it's now slowly time for a new (2nd) body.

Yup, I said it. Canon 5D Mk II vs. 1Ds Mk II.

The logic behind this selection: both full frame, similar prices ranges, both have top-of-the-line features.

What I shoot: landscapes & sports action photography, eventually move into portraits, maybe weddings in the loooong run.

What I'd like in a body:

I'd like to have a high-end FF body with 15+ MP. FF both because of the higher IQ (I'd like to have great looking 24x36 and up prints), and also so I can use a high-end L lens like the 16-35/2.8 at its full wide-angle potential.

Preferably weather-sealed (thus the 1D) since I shoot in a lot of adverse conditions, even though so far I haven't had much weather trouble shooting with my 40D.

Pros&Cons 1Ds Mk II
+ FF at 16Mp
+ Best AF
+ Weather sealed
+ Big body w/ portrait handle
- *Only* 16Mp
- Digic 2 / decent high-iso performance
- Only 4fps

Pros&Cons 5D MK II
+ FF at 21Mp
+ 1080p Full HD Video (nice to have, not a requirement)
+ Digic 4 / INSANE high-iso performance
- Not weather selaed
- Small body, extra for battery/portrait grip

I'm personally currently tending towards the 1Ds Mk II because of the weather sealing, AF, and I can get it for 500-600 bucks cheaper than the 5D...

Any input highly appreciated! :)
_Bernardo
Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
Bogen 055XPROB
Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    If you are a serious sports shooter, the 1D line is better.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 26, 2009
    Bernardo,

I have been looking at that same selection for myself. I already have 2 of the 1D MKII bodies and I really love the AF section and general responsiveness of the camera. For sports it is still a very viable body. I also like the 1D MKII for weddings and events.

I am considering the 1Ds MKII and the 5D MKII for more formal portrait situations and landscapes. I am concerned about the AF speed and accuracy of the 5D MKII for event work but I think it might be ideal for the more planned shots.

I also think that the extra low light sensitivity of the 5D MKII as well as the extra dynamic range will ultimately prevail over the 1Ds MKII.

Since I see used prices on the 1D MKII down in the $1300-$1500USD range I think that you too might appreciate the combination of a 1D MKII and a 5D MKII as a dual solution to your shooting requirements.

If you can only consider 1 camera at this time I do think that the 1Ds MKII might be the best overall compromise (not that you compromise much.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I am concerned about the AF speed and accuracy of the 5D MKII for event work but I think it might be ideal for the more planned shots.

I also think that the extra low light sensitivity of the 5D MKII as well as the extra dynamic range will ultimately prevail over the 1Ds MKII.

15524779-Ti.gif

My experiences with the mkII with stable, posed people shots is very positive and accuracy has been really good. I am finding, however, that the surprisingly reachable threshold below where the AF gives up negates, somewhat, the extra ISO performance in certain circumstances. I can't imagine, however, that this would affect you in any sort of planned shot location.
  • boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Bernardo,

I have been looking at that same selection for myself. I already have 2 of the 1D MKII bodies and I really love the AF section and general responsiveness of the camera. For sports it is still a very viable body. I also like the 1D MKII for weddings and events.

I am considering the 1Ds MKII and the 5D MKII for more formal portrait situations and landscapes. I am concerned about the AF speed and accuracy of the 5D MKII for event work but I think it might be ideal for the more planned shots.

Since I see used prices on the 1D MKII down in the $1300-$1500USD range I think that you too might appreciate the combination of a 1D MKII and a 5D MKII as a dual solution to your shooting requirements.

If you can only consider 1 camera at this time I do think that the 1Ds MKII might be the best overall compromise (not that you compromise much.)

Thanks for this, ziggy! Good analysis.

I am indeed considering a combination of 5D Mk II & 1D Mk II only.
    I'm not sure I like the 1.3x crop on the 1D though - either FF, or 1.6x for reach, 1.3x is kind of in between and pretty much useless. But I guess I can make it work...

I guess the other option could be a used 1D Mk III in a similar price range as the 5D Mk II, and keep that as my only body for the time being.

Oh man, so many choices... :D
    Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
    Bogen 055XPROB
    edited January 26, 2009
    ... I'm not sure I like the 1.3x crop on the 1D though - either FF, or 1.6x for reach, 1.3x is kind of in between and pretty much useless. But I guess I can make it work...

A lot of people feel that way but I just feel it is the best tool for many of my jobs.

Do compare the 1D MKII to any of the Canon crop 1.6x cameras with the DXOMark tool to see how the imagers compare. The 1D MKII holds up really well in the comparison, especially in the "Print" setting which estimates image quality at 8" x 10".

Couple that with the rapid shooting rate, accurate AF section, enough resolution that I can make consistantly good looking 20" x 30" prints, dual media cards and the current reasonable purchase prices and I think you can see the attraction they hold for someone like myself to shoot sports, weddings and events.

Of course the cameras are a beast to hold for much time and the batteries are expensive and antiquated technology.
    ziggy53
    edited January 27, 2009
    ... I thought the comparison was FF vs. Crop. Is there such a comparison anywhere?

If you go to DXOMark.com and look under their "Image Quality Database" you can compare cameras' basic image quality in a somewhat objective fashion. (They do not compare other camera attributes like responsiveness, AF speed and accuracy, durability, etc.)

For instance, to see a comparison between the 1D MKII, 1D MKIII and 5D MKII:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/288|0/(appareil2)/289|0/(appareil3)/292|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon/(brand3)/Canon
    ziggy53
    edited January 27, 2009
    Sweet, thanks! I had totally missed that ... :)

This only confuses me even more though because it seems like IQ is only marginally different between the cameras I'm considering (1D Mk II, 1Ds Mk II, 40D, 5D, 5D Mk II).

I'm now considering:

o 40D for sports and 5D for landscapes & portraits
    o 40D for sports and 1Ds Mk II for landscapes & portraits & some sports.
    o 1D Mk II for sports and 5D for landscapes & portraits

Bwaaaaaaaaah :D
    I've pretty much eliminated the 5D Mk II because I really don't need the video functionality, at that point I'd rather have a few less MP and get the 1Ds Mk II. So in so far as that decision goes, the original title of the thread has been answered. The 5D Mk II vs. 1Ds Mk II contest is won by the latter.
    Bogen 055XPROB
    edited January 28, 2009
    Just FYI ...

I've decided to sell my 40D and move away from 1.6x crop entirely.

I bought a 1D Mk II. Very stoked to start using it for sports & events!
    And I will take a few more weeks (until my tax refund arrives ;)) to decide what FF option to go with - 5D, 5DII, or 1DsMkII.

My lens line up will be:

o 17-35/2.8 or 16-35 f/2.8I or 16-35/2.8II (Need to acquire. Wide range of 21mm on the 1D is still very wide, and can switch to FF when I need the full 16mm).
    o 24-70/2.8 (Currently own)
    o 70-200/2.8 (Currently own)
    o 100/2 (Currently own. Cheap and great portrait lens both on FF and 1.3x)
    o 300/4IS (Need to acquire)

This is mostly sports & event oriented (i.e. the zooms) but as I do more studio work (or have a bigger budget!) I will move into more primes like the 50/1.2, 85/1.4, 135/2, etc...

Very stoked!

-B
    Bogen 055XPROB
    edited January 28, 2009
    Good luck with the 1D MKII. I think you will find that once you get used to the considerable differences in weight and user interface that you will appreciate all that it has to offer. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    edited January 29, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Good luck with the 1D MKII. I think you will find that once you get used to the considerable differences in weight and user interface that you will appreciate all that it has to offer. clap.gif

Thanks ziggy!
    Picked up the 1DMKII an hour ago. Funny thing, made a deal on FM and at the last minute we realized we live in the same town. Local pickups rule!
    Already getting comfy with the interface. Took a few shots with a 16-35/2.8 MkII, and OMG the AF on the 1D is SOOOO much more accurate than on my 40D. I can seriously tell a difference. Incredible. Can't wait to play with it more and actually use it in its environment - sports!

_Bernardo

(Sorry I keep bumping this, too stoked)

First few shots with the 1D:

464078155_WBKQy-L.jpg
    Bogen 055XPROB
  • CanonFanCanonFan Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    boulderNardo.....PM sent.
    Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    Just FYI ...

I've decided to sell my 40D and move away from 1.6x crop entirely.

I bought a 1D Mk II. Very stoked to start using it for sports & events!
    And I will take a few more weeks (until my tax refund arrives ;)) to decide what FF option to go with - 5D, 5DII, or 1DsMkII.

My lens line up will be:

o 17-35/2.8 or 16-35 f/2.8I or 16-35/2.8II (Need to acquire. Wide range of 21mm on the 1D is still very wide, and can switch to FF when I need the full 16mm).
    o 24-70/2.8 (Currently own)
    o 70-200/2.8 (Currently own)
    o 100/2 (Currently own. Cheap and great portrait lens both on FF and 1.3x)
    o 300/4IS (Need to acquire)

This is mostly sports & event oriented (i.e. the zooms) but as I do more studio work (or have a bigger budget!) I will move into more primes like the 50/1.2, 85/1.4, 135/2, etc...

Very stoked!

-B
    The 5-series, with it's *very decent* weather seals and rugged construction, makes a perfect landscape photographer's camera. No vertical grip means you save weight for those extra long hikes where you're gonna be somewhere beautiful, where every megapixel counts, but so does every ounce. ;-)

The 1D mk2 (or mk3) + 5D mk2, or the 7D + 5D mk2, both make a GREAT combination for covering most any and every type of shooting condition. In my opinion, the high-res body doesn't need tons of extra features, speed or weight, it just needs to be rugged and reliable enough to get the job done when megapixels (or high ISO) are needed. And a blazing-speed sports camera doesn't need all the latest bells and whistles either, just amazing AF and speed, and rugged reliability to get any job done in any condition.

Just my opinionated opinion, of course...
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited November 19, 2010
    I'm having trouble deciding on which one to get (5DMKII or 1DsMkII). I've read reviews and photogs opinions and it seems there are two camps . AF/weather sealed vs high ISO/light weight . Which do I need most? Not sure. I'm mostly landscapes and general photog . 16.7 vs 21 megapixels..really that much diff? HELP!!!!.....:-)
    Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    CanonFan wrote: »
    I'm having trouble deciding on which one to get (5DMKII or 1DsMkII). I've read reviews and photogs opinions and it seems there are two camps . AF/weather sealed vs high ISO/light weight . Which do I need most? Not sure. I'm mostly landscapes and general photog . 16.7 vs 21 megapixels..really that much diff? HELP!!!!.....:-)
    Just go with what you shoot "mostly", hands down. The 5D mk2, as much as I rag on it, is well-rounded enough to handle a bit of everything. But for landscapes and nature, the 5D mk2 is one of the best on the market.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    This thread is a year old! Almost 2 years actually.
    Re Canonfan, I carry around my 1DII hanging from my neck. It's actually not that bothersome, IMHO. I don't have a problem with it, but my comfy Promaster strap helps ;~).
    edited November 21, 2010
    Thanks to you all , and especially Matthew, for giving me the help I needed to decide which body to buy. I chose the 5D Mark 11 over the 1Ds MK11; it suiting my photography style better. Can't wait till this puppy arrives!!! :D
    Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC
    edited November 24, 2010
    Waiting on the big Brown truck to bring my 5DM2 , today...! Whats taking him so long???? :-)
    Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC
    edited November 24, 2010
    Exactly. I ordered a rug....nothing special, and it was on my front porch at 6:30 a.m. I think they plan it that way to frustrate us.
    Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC