what would you do?

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited January 27, 2009 in Cameras
Okay I have the nikon d90 and I am scheduled to shoot a cousin wedding in June. I am planning to rent a back up camera for the shoot. My decision is should I get another d90 since I am very familar with it ...or rent a D700?

I am sure I could take advantage of the the low light abilities of the D700 since the reception is going ot be in a ballroom type of deal. Yet I am afraid I will be fumbling around with it too much since I don't know the camera. The D90 is pretty good in low light but of course not as good as the d700.

As far as as my lenses...I will have the 18-200mm VR DX, 85 1.4 FX and the tokina 11-16mm DX (which you can use as FX at 15-16 mm) if that matters.

Maybe the D700 folks can comment on the "intuitiveness" of the basic manual settings? heh :dunno
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 26, 2009
    If you are the principal photographer for the wedding do get some experience first as either secondary shooter or at a similar event in a similar setting.

I do think you also need a "standard" zoom which, for the D90, would be approximately 17-55mm(ish) and f2.8. The Nikkor 17-55mm, f/2.8G AF-S DX IF-ED is a very nice lens for that application. Second choice would be the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF).

You also need a decent flash and suitable flash modifier (minimum), possibly on a flash bracket with off-camera cord (preferable).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Ziggy I have 2nd shot another wedding and have done company parties and other social events in rather difficult settings. I do have an sb600 and sb800 with fongs and plan to setup a stationery slaved "light on a stick" to fill the room a bit.

I do not take the the opportunity lightly :D

This is the one freebie that I do for the low budget family wedding. I understand your concern though.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 26, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    Ziggy I have 2nd shot another wedding and have done company parties and other social events in rather difficult settings. I do have an sb600 and sb800 with fongs and plan to setup a stationery slaved "light on a stick" to fill the room a bit.

I do not take the the opportunity lightly :D

This is the one freebie that I do for the low budget family wedding. I understand your concern though.

Excellent. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 27, 2009
    If you already know the D90 inside and out, get another one as a back-up. A wedding is not the place to confuse yourself between the D90 and D700. Fumbling with the different controls could lead to a missed shot.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    That's my initial thoght.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    captain78 wrote:
    If you already know the D90 inside and out, get another one as a back-up. A wedding is not the place to confuse yourself between the D90 and D700. Fumbling with the different controls could lead to a missed shot.

I agree also.....there is no need to try and decide what to shoot FF and what is going to be DX.....once you decide to go FF do yourself a favor and go FF all the way....except of course for your Point-n-Shooter......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    captain78 wrote:
    $.02

I agree. I'd like to tell you how easy it was for me opening the D700 box and getting good shots/ balance right away...I did.

But then I wasn't under pressure to perform either....One interesting thing did happen though. When I bought my New D300 back in October.....I was so used to the controls, i got it right out of the box, screwed a lens on, added a battery and a CF card..set the WB to A, ISO to 1K....and started Shooting....and I killed the camera shutter in twenty minutes with about 87 photos shuttered total....I bought the camera for a Wedding....that I had to shoot a Month away from when it arrived the second time!

So make sure you have several backup plans in place just in case....Just in case.... In fact I think the Rental guys Websites often say the same thing...

D300/D700: Controls so alike!

D700 wants and loves and performs with FF lenses~

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Yeah I would stay with the D90. I like to stay with what I know especially for something important.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/