Midnight mass on a mountain

annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
edited February 4, 2009 in Landscapes
Every Christmas there is a midnight mass held in a chapel on a mountain not far from where I live. I was there a couple of years ago and took pictures, but the wind was so strong I practically had to use all of my weight to keep the tripod from falling over. This year the weather was more merciful, there was almost no wind and the temperatures were tolerable.

We parked the car somewhere along the forest road at about 9 p.m. and started walking along the path in the dark. We even turned the headlamps off. It was exhilarating! After a one-hour climb we reached the plateau with many mountains cabins and the chapel. There were already a lot of people with torches and headlamps heading towards the chapel for the mass.
V06-Velplanina-19.jpg

People were ascending the small hill with the chapel (the wavy headlamp trails) and some were throwing explosive devices :D:
V01-Velplanina-05.jpg

I climbed the opposite slope and took pictures of the chapel and people around it:
V09-Velplanina-14.jpg

There are many mountain cabins here that used to be, and still are to a certain extent, a shepherd's village. Cows are herded to this mountain every summer and many people spend the whole season here. With or without the cows. :wink
V11-Velplanina-22.jpg

When the service was over, the crowd started to leave.
V14-Velplanina-28.jpg

A steady procession could be seen heading back. While I was taking multi-minute exposures, I was amazed by the light pollution from the valley.
V19-Velplanina-47.jpg

With almost everybody gone I climbed the ridge and stared at the lights below. It was mesmerizing. And cold! Here the wind picked up and soon I was jumping around and doing squats to warm myself up while I was waiting for the photo to be taken.
V20-Velplanina-48.jpg

I joined my friends at the nearby hut for a sip of schnapps (well, it WAS cold! :D) and then descended back to the car. I was in bed by 5 a.m.

If you're interested, there are more photos in my photo journal. Comments appreciated!

Ana
Ana
SmugMug Support Hero Manager
My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com

Comments