Sunday's pic

glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
edited January 27, 2009 in People
Would like some C&C on this pic I took yesterday. Shot at 125@f4, Nikon 70-200 @ 125mm, iso 100.

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    I love the composition. The lips (it's her expression) is a tad terse. There are two schools of thought: One: portraying a model one needs to take it to a level beyond what this is....or, Two: display it right out of camera because "that's what was there".

I'm a firm believer that our job as photographers is to make our subjects look beautiful which includes, blemish removal, skin smoothing, light corrections and processing that makes a shot into a "WOW".

Now how one does this of course will be based on one's skills, artistic vision and the like. We all see and think differently. Please, by all means do not take offense to my offering. I see so many shots posted here with great potential but areas of the photo are lacking..which could be stunning. My simple suggestion is to take it to the next level....but again, it may be my style that promotes that concept.

In this particular photo, I would use the liquify tool on the lips/expression, skin smooth and adjust lighting...but it doesn't quite matter what I would do as what is most important is what you visualize putting the best effort forward. That is what I try to convey for each C&C and hope it comes across clearly.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    I love the composition. The lips (it's her expression) is a tad terse. There are two schools of thought: One: portraying a model one needs to take it to a level beyond what this is....or, Two: display it right out of camera because "that's what was there".

I'm a firm believer that our job as photographers is to make our subjects look beautiful which includes, blemish removal, skin smoothing, light corrections and processing that makes a shot into a "WOW".

Now how one does this of course will be based on one's skills, artistic vision and the like. We all see and think differently. Please, by all means do not take offense to my offering. I see so many shots posted here with great potential but areas of the photo are lacking..which could be stunning. My simple suggestion is to take it to the next level....but again, it may be my style that promotes that concept.

In this particular photo, I would use the liquify tool on the lips/expression, skin smooth and adjust lighting...but it doesn't quite matter what I would do as what is most important is what you visualize putting the best effort forward. That is what I try to convey for each C&C and hope it comes across clearly.

Thank you Swartzy,

Thank you, I haven't done any touch up as you have suggested but will. Thought I'd see what thoughts there were before doing so but maybe I should do all the touch-up and then post. Thanks again for your input.

glenn
    edited January 26, 2009
    Played a bit with the pic. Any thoughts?
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    They are both good, but the touched up one is superb clap.gif There is still a light black dot on her upper lip (center) that you might want to remove.
    edited January 27, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    They are both good, but the touched up one is superb clap.gif There is still a light black dot on her upper lip (center) that you might want to remove.

Thanks Dan! I removed and I also saw a small highlight by her left eye that I took care of.

Thanks for commenting.

glenn
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Hey Glenn, that's much better! We like pretty mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Hey Glenn, that's much better! We like pretty mwink.gif

Wow - both versions are lovely. #1 works as a candid capture, and #2 as a more "fashion-style" shoot, but they're both beautiful in their own way!

My only (very minor) nit might be that I find the large earrings slightly distracting, but that's probably just me - it's a very current fashion look and she looks lovely!

thumb.gif